how to fix 299 memory error

G

after downloading and running Ad-aware and the free online virus scan from housecall, adaware identified over a hundred bad items which i removed, and housecall found various trojans which i attempted to fix and remove. Now my computer will not run any application at all. Everytime I click an icon or attempt to execute an application I get "only part of a read process memory or write process memory request was completed" i have no idea what this means. I'm running XP, am I doomed? Any suggestions?

G

Your problem first started by going to the "net" without a viable anti-virus program
installed such as Norton or McAfee. Your entire system was loaded with malware
and viruses. Your files were infected and thus deleted, but your system is now unstable. You'll need to completely reinstall XP from scratch with the XP CD
that came with your PC. Set your BIOS to boot from your CD-Rom drive, probably
"D" drive and insert the disk to format and reinstall XP. Any vital data, photos,
documents will all be deleted. If you can extract them do it first, or copy them to
a CD.
Accessing Motherboard BIOS
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
P.S. Do not attempt to try a System Restore, for the viruses have been saved in
the LastGood/saved file and thus will be re-entered into your system.

G

First thanks for responding so quickly! I think I can handle the reinstall although this really sucks. You are absolutely correct, when I scanned it initially I got all kinds of stuff from trojans to bkdr programs identified etc. I had been running it for about 2 years with no protection. I think I'll be a little more cautious this time around. Thanks again,
Ponch777

A

Alex Nichol

ponch777 said:
First thanks for responding so quickly! I think I can handle the reinstall although this really sucks. You are absolutely correct, when I scanned it initially I got all kinds of stuff from trojans to bkdr programs identified etc. I had been running it for about 2 years with no protection. I think I'll be a little more cautious this time around.

I think that the reinstall is the only realistic course now; anything
else would be a sticking on of BandAids. Two points: You will have to
reinstall all updates, so it would help (if you can live with things for
a short time) to get the consolidated CD of security updates (which
includes SP1) first - order at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

It is getting a bit out of date, but if you also got the downloads for
the following on a broadband , especially
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;835732 (Sasser worm patch)
and the
837009 (OE Cumulative)
832894 (IE Cumulative)
828741 (XP Cumulative)
828028 (ASN 1)
837001 (Jet Engine)

and burned them to CD too, you would be near up to date

In any case make certain you have the firewall in place before going on
the net, even for a minute.

Also, when reinstalling after booting the CD, and taking Setup to New
install; when it asks you to confirm where, hit ESC; select and delete
the current partition and make a new RAW one to be formatted at the next