    corresponding IP address for them.

    How ????

    Thanks in advance

    Guest, Apr 23, 2007

    Gerald Vogt Guest

    toal5 wrote:
    > I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
    > corresponding IP address for them.
    >
    > How ????

    It depends.

    If you know the IP addresses in question you simply ping the IP
    addresses and then check the arp cache with "arp -a".

    If you have a router it may be able to protocol the IP/MAC address mappings.

    If you have a DHCP server and all devices in question use DHCP the DHCP
    server should have all mappings in the list of leases.

    If you don't have any idea which IP addresses (as any device can use
    several IP addresses on an interface) a specific MAC address may use you
    are not able to find it out unless you are able to make the device send
    some packets and the receiver of those packets or a router in the way
    records it.

    Gerald

    Gerald Vogt, Apr 23, 2007

    All I have is the MAC address which are on our LAN so no routers are involved.
    The devices could be static so I cant check any DHCP.
    As far as getting the device to send some packets..... I dont know which
    devices they are, thats why Im trying to get the IP addresses

    Cheers

    Guest, Apr 23, 2007
  4. This how to may help,

    ipconfigHow to setup two IPs on a computer How to use MS DHCP to reserve an IP on MAC How to use TCP/IP without installing a NIC. How can I find a NIC MAC address? ...
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/ipconfig.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Apr 23, 2007

    Nope, already read it.
    It tells you how to add static entries but thats about it.

    Thanks though

    Guest, Apr 23, 2007

    Just ran both tools and neither has given me any MAC addesses????
    So I can't tally them up with the IP and hostnames its found.

    Guest, Apr 23, 2007

    Chuck Guest

    Chuck, Apr 23, 2007
  8. "toal5" <> wrote in message
    >I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
    > corresponding IP address for them.
    >
    > How ????
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    FWIW department...

    If your running Vista on at least one machine then the network map will show
    IP and MAC addresses for local nodes...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Vista/Misc/NetworkMap.jpg

    For XP SP2 nodes you need to download and install the LLTD package...

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea&DisplayLang=en

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Apr 23, 2007
  9. "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "toal5" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
    >> corresponding IP address for them.
    >>
    >> How ????
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>

    > FWIW department...
    >
    > If your running Vista on at least one machine then the network map will
    > show IP and MAC addresses for local nodes...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Vista/Misc/NetworkMap.jpg
    >
    > For XP SP2 nodes you need to download and install the LLTD package...
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

    I forgot to add the PC named 'norman' in the example network map is a XP Pro
    SP2 machine. The other two are running Vista Ultimate (Ashtabula) and Vista
    Home Basic (Miami). If you hover over a Vista machine the IPV6 address is
    also displayed...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Apr 23, 2007

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:48:00 -0700, toal5 <>
    wrote:

    >"Chuck" wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:40:01 -0700, toal5 <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
    >> >corresponding IP address for them.
    >> >
    >> >How ????
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in advance

    >> I use either Angry IP or SoftPerfect Network Scanner, both free and easy to
    >> install.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/knowing-whats-on-your-lan.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/knowing-whats-on-your-lan.html

    >Just ran both tools and neither has given me any MAC addesses????
    >So I can't tally them up with the IP and hostnames its found.

    In SPNS, go Options - Program Options - Additional tab. Check "Resolve host
    names" and "Resolve MAC addresses".

    Similar setting for the Angryziber product.

    Chuck, Apr 23, 2007

    Gerald Vogt Guest

    toal5 wrote:
    > All I have is the MAC address which are on our LAN so no routers are involved.
    > The devices could be static so I cant check any DHCP.
    > As far as getting the device to send some packets..... I dont know which
    > devices they are, thats why Im trying to get the IP addresses

    There is no reliable mechanism to find out the IP address from a MAC
    address because there is no mapping in that direction. The mapping is
    only from IP addresses to MAC addresses and that is only established in
    the devices itself. Thus the only way to find the IP addresses of a
    device if you don't have access to the device itself is to make it
    respond to an IP packet. There is no other way because a device can well
    live in a ethernet network without any IP address although its
    communication abilities are somewhat limited then.

    In the worst case that means to send pings to all possible IP addresses
    and check each time if there is an entry in the ARP cache (even if there
    is no ping reply).

    Gerald

    Gerald Vogt, Apr 24, 2007

    Dohhh, Cheers for that. All MAC addresses clear and present :)

    Guest, Apr 24, 2007

    Thanks for that also, we dont have Vista but its handy to know for next time.

    Guest, Apr 24, 2007

    OK now I have found 90% of machines mac addresses I have a new problem.

    This all started from.......
    I was trying to remove all IPX off our network, so I ran Wireshark and had
    bout 6 machines which were broadcasting IPX. I got the MAC from wireshark and
    that is why I needed to find the IP address.
    Anyway now I have the list of machines with MAC and IP, NONE of the IPX
    broacasting machines are there????

    Anyone have any ideas of how I could find these rouge machines?

    Guest, Apr 24, 2007

    Chuck Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 01:44:01 -0700, toal5 <>
    wrote:

    >"Chuck" wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:48:00 -0700, toal5 <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >Just ran both tools and neither has given me any MAC addesses????
    >> >So I can't tally them up with the IP and hostnames its found.

    >> In SPNS, go Options - Program Options - Additional tab. Check "Resolve host
    >> names" and "Resolve MAC addresses".
    >>
    >> Similar setting for the Angryziber product.

    >Dohhh, Cheers for that. All MAC addresses clear and present :)

    Yay. Thanks for the update. :cool:

    Chuck, Apr 24, 2007

    Chuck Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:02:04 -0700, toal5 <>
    wrote:

    >OK now I have found 90% of machines mac addresses I have a new problem.
    >
    >This all started from.......
    >I was trying to remove all IPX off our network, so I ran Wireshark and had
    >bout 6 machines which were broadcasting IPX. I got the MAC from wireshark and
    >that is why I needed to find the IP address.
    >Anyway now I have the list of machines with MAC and IP, NONE of the IPX
    >broacasting machines are there????
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas of how I could find these rouge machines?

    The output from "browstat status" will show IPX when its present. You could run
    browstat remotely, against each computer, using psexec.
    psexec \\* browstat status

    Redirect that to a file, and use Notepad and a string search for the IPX
    protocol in the bindings list.

    Download browstat:
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    Download PSTools, which contains PSExec, from SysInternals (Microsoft):
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/essential-tools-for-desktop-and.html#PSTools>

    Chuck, Apr 24, 2007

    Tomer W Guest

    Re: All I have is the MAC address which are on our LAN so no routersare involved.

    Well, i think Gerald Vogt gave a good idea just didn't elaborate on it ..

    i assume more then 90% of the devices are computers that honor Ping requests, therefore i describe a windows batch script that pings a CLASS C Subnet (0-255), you might want to consider enhancing the batch script.

    put this in a batch file
    ------------
    @echo off
    echo Clearing ARP Cache
    arp -d *
    echo Pinging Subnet
    FOR /L %%i IN (1,1,255) do (ping -n 1 -w 10 -i 2 192.9.201.%%i > nul
    echo Pinging %%i)
    echo arp list:
    arp -a|FIND "192.9.201."
    echo Done.

    change 192.9.201 to your subnet,
    the -i is the TTL, because two said it is a LAN 1 or 2 should do.. but you can increase it,
    the -w set timeout, again for a LAN 10 is long enough, increasing it will take longer to work considering most IPs are unused.

    the rest are pretty straight-forward.

    hope you like, if you do, send me millions of $$$ :)

    good day to you all.

    Tomer W, Dec 16, 2010