How to configure network for 26 PC's?

G

Need to know how to create a network for a small business using identical 26 PC's sharing a wireless LinkSys router using 1.5mbps (up and down) SDSL internet connection

I am worried since I read that 10 PC's can only be connected together using Win XP Pro in a workgroup? I am using the 26th PC to run an external application to communicate with the other 25 PC's (as clients). Is this not going to work? I don't want to have to set up a server/domain, etc. I thought all could be in a workgroup and then using the external software ..one PC runs as "the server", the other 25 run as the "clients".

All PC's are using their own USB LinkSys wireless network adapter communicating with LinkSys wireless router (all equip is "G" - 54mbps configuration for the wireless)

How can I create an internal LAN using workgroup or something else in XP Pro

thank

Help!

B

Brant Wells

Hi:

I think that "10 PC" thing, is only the Number of connections that can
be made to a PC for like Filesharing and such.

And actually, you do not need the "external application" to share the
internet. The Wireless ROUTER should do it for you... If it's a
wireless ACCESS POINT, then you will need the external application.

You follow?

~Brant
Need to know how to create a network for a small business using identical 26 PC's
sharing a wireless LinkSys router using 1.5mbps (up and down) SDSL internet connection.
I am worried since I read that 10 PC's can only be connected together using Win XP Pro
in a workgroup? I am using the 26th PC to run an external application to communicate with
the other 25 PC's (as clients). Is this not going to work? I don't want to have to set up
a server/domain, etc. I thought all could be in a workgroup and then using the external
software ..one PC runs as "the server", the other 25 run as the "clients".

G

Thanks Brant for responding....I believe I have not been clear on what I am attempting.
I do not have a "domain" set up....can I set up one using Win XP Pro OS? I would be using one of the 26 machines as a "server"....I am looking at this because my understanding is that XP PRo can only have 10 concurrent connections to one PC at the same time....so 25 couldn't connect to communicate (at the same time) with my "wannabe" machine pretending to be a "server" (running also, Win XP Pro). Right now all PC's (26) are in a "WORKGROUP" setting under network.

The external software I speak of, has one server application, and client application. I will be loading the server on my XP Pro server....and the clients on the other 25 workstations. This software "monitors" what the clients are doing....so the clients are always in communication with the server (PC running this server type of software)......

MY concern is: If Win XP PRo can only handle 10 consecutive connections to "one" machine at the same time....how will the other PC's "connect" to share info with the "server" if there are 25 clients.....

Can I create a domain in Win XP PRo, or do I have to install Windows 2000 server on "that" one machine that will be running that "server type of application".....and then leave all the other client on Win XP PRO/

Thank you again for your help

A

adrian916

You are right to assume that you cannot set up a domain
from an XP machine - you would need one of the server
O/S's to do this (SBS, server 2003, 2000 etc)

It is also only possible for 10 machines to connect to an
xp machine at any one time to use/share it's resources.
If an eleventh one wants to connect, it will have to wait
until one of the others logs off/disconnects.

If you want to keep to a workgroup, you have to accept
that only 10 will have a connection at once.
If it is essential that more connect at the same time,
then I believe you have no choice but to go for a proper
server O/S.
-----Original Message-----
Thanks Brant for responding....I believe I have not been clear on what I am attempting.
I do not have a "domain" set up....can I set up one
using Win XP Pro OS? I would be using one of the 26
machines as a "server"....I am looking at this because my
understanding is that XP PRo can only have 10 concurrent
connections to one PC at the same time....so 25 couldn't
connect to communicate (at the same time) with
my "wannabe" machine pretending to be a "server" (running
also, Win XP Pro). Right now all PC's (26) are in
a "WORKGROUP" setting under network.
The external software I speak of, has one server
application, and client application. I will be loading
the server on my XP Pro server....and the clients on the
other 25 workstations. This software "monitors" what the
clients are doing....so the clients are always in
communication with the server (PC running this server
type of software)......
MY concern is: If Win XP PRo can only handle 10
consecutive connections to "one" machine at the same
time....how will the other PC's "connect" to share info
with the "server" if there are 25 clients.....
Can I create a domain in Win XP PRo, or do I have to
install Windows 2000 server on "that" one machine that
will be running that "server type of application".....and
then leave all the other client on Win XP PRO/

B

Bob Willard

NetworkHelpNeeded said:
Need to know how to create a network for a small business using identical 26 PC's sharing a wireless LinkSys router using 1.5mbps (up and down) SDSL internet connection.

I am worried since I read that 10 PC's can only be connected together using Win XP Pro in a workgroup? I am using the 26th PC to run an external application to communicate with the other 25 PC's (as clients). Is this not going to work? I don't want to have to set up a server/domain, etc. I thought all could be in a workgroup and then using the external software ..one PC runs as "the server", the other 25 run as the "clients".

All PC's are using their own USB LinkSys wireless network adapter communicating with LinkSys wireless router (all equip is "G" - 54mbps configuration for the wireless).

How can I create an internal LAN using workgroup or something else in XP Pro?

thanks

Help!

There are two ways to get around the 10-connection inbound limit for XP PRO:
the preferred solution is to replace XP PRO with a server OS, such as W2Kserver
or W2K3server. The poor man's alternative is to replace XP PRO with one of the
W9x OSs (my choice would be W98SE), since W9x had no inbound limit.

TANSTAASFL: W9x is less robust than XP, but that may not matter in your
workload. {TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch .}

R

Rob Schneider

NetworkHelpNeeded said:
Need to know how to create a network for a small business using identical 26 PC's sharing a wireless LinkSys router using 1.5mbps (up and down) SDSL internet connection.

All PC's are using their own USB LinkSys wireless network adapter communicating with LinkSys wireless router (all equip is "G" - 54mbps configuration for the wireless).

How can I create an internal LAN using workgroup or something else in XP Pro?

thanks

Help!

It's not a Microsoft Solution but might be closer to what you are
seeking, but you could provide File/printer sharing and domain
controller services with for these 26 machines by running a Linux
machine with Samba.

G

I'm kinda clueless with Linux and Samba

On the "other" note, if I purchase Windows 2000 server, and install it on one machine (pretending to be the server)....do I still have to setup a "domain" or can I still leave everything as "workgroup" with WIn 2000 server, and will it be able to handle more than 10 concurrent connections as a workgroup

Or do I have to create a DOMAIN? If so, do I need anything special? I only have the static IP addresses, DNS, Gateway, etc. from my SDSL provider....is that all I will need....and then have the XP PRo clients "join" the domain? WOuld I need to set up WIns or DNS or any of that .....or just use all the info in my LinkSYs wireless router (G config)

Thank you all for the education......

R

Rob Schneider

NetworkHelpNeeded said:
I'm kinda clueless with Linux and Samba.

On the "other" note, if I purchase Windows 2000 server, and install it on one machine (pretending to be the server)....do I still have to setup a "domain" or can I still leave everything as "workgroup" with WIn 2000 server, and will it be able to handle more than 10 concurrent connections as a workgroup.

Or do I have to create a DOMAIN? If so, do I need anything special? I only have the static IP addresses, DNS, Gateway, etc. from my SDSL provider....is that all I will need....and then have the XP PRo clients "join" the domain? WOuld I need to set up WIns or DNS or any of that .....or just use all the info in my LinkSYs wireless router (G config)?

Thank you all for the education......

You're asking a lot of big and basic questions ... Let me cogitate a
bit .. others will surely chip in.

Have you considered hiring a wiz-bang consultant for a couple of days to
design, setup, and train you? Might be a productive way forward...

Ask a Question