    set pop settings etc. I found the identities forlder but simply
    copying that doesn't seem to do it. Maybe I'm missing something.

    Thanks for all assistance.

    brassplyer, Jan 1, 2010

  2. brassplyer

    Tim Meddick Guest

    Not only do you have to copy across the "Identities" folder but also open
    [Regedit.exe] and copy (export) the contents of the following key to a [.reg] file :

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities]

    Choosing : "File" > "Export" from the top menus in [Regedit.exe] will copy ALL of
    the information in the above key and all subkeys to a file of your naming.

    Copy this [.reg] file plus the "Identities" folder to each [XP] machine you want OE
    "cloned" on.

    Then "import" the [.reg] file on each target machine by double-clicking on it and
    answering [Yes]

    IMPORTANT - The "Profile Name" on each target PC must be the same name as on the
    primary PC or the "path" to the "Identities" folder (and Store Root) will not be the
    same.

    If it is not the same - after copying the "Identities" folder and importing the
    [.reg] file - you will have to manually edit the following reg value to reflect the
    correct "path" (on each profile / machine)

    Open [Regedit.exe] and go to the following key :

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]

    (Where GUID stands for the "Globally Unique ID" - a long binary number unique
    identity)

    ....and manually edit the following value under this key (for each ID if more than
    one).

    "Store Root"="c:\documents and settings\%USERNAME%\local settings\application
    data\identities\{GUID}\microsoft\outlook express"

    Make sure the above value reflects the actual path to the [.dbx] files that "store"
    the folders within OE

    (I have replaced my profile folder name with %USERNAME% and the long ID number with
    {GUID})

    In addition to the above, to also import the Address book - open Address Book on the
    primary PC and choose from the top menus : "File" > "Export" > "Address Book
    (Wab)..." and choose a name for the address book.

    Do this for each identity on the primary PC so you have one (or more) [.wab] files.

    Copy the one (or more) [.wab] files across, along with the "Identities" folder and
    the [.reg] file, to each of the other target PCs

    For each identity on the target PCs open Address Book and choose "File" > "Import" >
    "Address Book (Wab)..." .

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

    Tim Meddick, Jan 1, 2010

  3. brassplyer

    brassplyer Guest

    Re: How to clone outlook express configuration one XP machine toanother

    On Jan 1, 5:15 pm, "Tim Meddick" <> wrote:
    > Not only do you have to copy across the "Identities" folder but also open
    > [Regedit.exe]  and copy (export) the contents of the following key to a[.reg] file

    Thanks. I should clarify, I've got the former C: drive from one
    machine hooked up as a slave drive to another. It was having issues
    and want to copy some files while they're still accessible. Should the
    procedure you outlined still work? Should I be able to access the
    registry info from the former C: drive?

    Thanks

    brassplyer, Jan 1, 2010
  4. brassplyer

    Tim Meddick Guest

    Copying (exporting) the reg key specified in my first post would be a little more
    complicated.

    As all you have is an old drive hooked up as slave, if I got that right?

    ==

    Tim Meddick, Jan 1, 2010
  5. brassplyer

    On Jan 1, 6:04 pm, "Tim Meddick" <> wrote:
    > Copying (exporting) the reg key specified in my first post would be a little more
    > complicated.
    >
    > As all you have is an old drive hooked up as slave, if I got that right?
    >
    > ==
    >
    > Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :)
    >
    > "brassplyer" <> wrote in message

    > On Jan 1, 5:15 pm, "Tim Meddick" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Not only do you have to copy across the "Identities" folder but also open
    > > [Regedit.exe] and copy (export) the contents of the following key to a [.reg] file

    > Thanks. I should clarify, I've got the former C: drive from one
    > machine hooked up as a slave drive to another. It was having issues
    > and want to copy some files while they're still accessible. Should the
    > procedure you outlined still work? Should I be able to access the
    > registry info from the former C: drive?

    Correct. f it's more complicated that's fine if it's still doable. I
    could *try* to see if it will work again as a C: drive in the other
    machine but I'm really reluctant to touch it now that it's at least
    readable after the other machine did a chkdsk and fix on it. I have a
    suspicion it has problems with the IDE connector hardware.

    brassplyer, Jan 1, 2010
  6. brassplyer

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    >I want to duplicate my Outlook Express setup from one XP machine to
    > another so I don't have to go through setting up each new identity,
    > set pop settings etc. I found the identities forlder but simply
    > copying that doesn't seem to do it. Maybe I'm missing something.
    >
    > Thanks for all assistance.

    Backing up and Cloning your OE Identities:
    http://www.insideoe.com/backup/clone.htm
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP [Mail]

    Bruce Hagen, Jan 1, 2010
  7. "brassplyer" <> wrote in message
    >I want to duplicate my Outlook Express setup from one XP machine to
    > another so I don't have to go through setting up each new identity,
    > set pop settings etc. I found the identities forlder but simply
    > copying that doesn't seem to do it. Maybe I'm missing something.
    >
    > Thanks for all assistance.

    The account settings can be exported from Tools, Accounts, <select account>
    and click EXPORT.

    Note: File, Export does not do the same thing.

    This won't take the folder structures or the mail contents, but does take
    the server settings.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Jan 3, 2010
  8. brassplyer

    Tim Meddick Guest

    You cannot copy the registry entry directly for the simple reason that the registry
    for the OS on the slave drive is not the current registry.

    But you can bring up [part of] the registry for the slave drive's OS - and thereby
    "extract" the email account settings in the form of an exported reg-file.

    Firstly, copy and paste the command below into a Command Prompt (DOS-box) window :

    reg LOAD HKU\SLAVEME "D:\Documents and Settings\TargetUser\ntuser.dat"

    ....where you will need to replace my fictitious "TargetUser" folder with a real one
    that existed on the old PC's drive.

    Then, copy and paste this command into a Command Prompt window :

    regedit /e c:\email.reg HKEY_USERS\SLAVEME\Identities

    (After successfully exporting a reg-file, then issue the UNLOAD command : )
    (reg UNLOAD HKU\SLAVEME)

    Then, open the resultant file [c:\email.reg] in notepad.exe.

    You will have to manually replace all instances of : HKEY_USERS\SLAVEME\

    ....with : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\

    It should only take you a minute, then save the file.

    After making the modifications, import the file by double-clicking on it and choosing
    [Yes]

    When you open Outlook Express, you should see your new Identities displayed in the
    "Switch Identity" box.

    *NB Make sure you have first copied the folders within the chosen profile's :

    "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities"

    ....folder from the old [slave] drive to the comparable profile on [C:] drive.

    And ALSO - please note what I said in my original reply about any discrepancy with a
    difference in profile-names between the one you are trying to export from and the one
    you are going to import to.

    If they are not the same you must modify the registry (AFTER importing the
    reg-entries) to reflect the new path to the "Store Root" folder.

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

    Tim Meddick, Jan 3, 2010
  9. brassplyer

    Tim Meddick Guest

    *NB - In my previous post, I assumed your slave drive was drive [D:] but [obviously]
    if it not - then you need to change the drive-letter accordingly.

    *Plus - I also assumed that all you have is the old drive and that you no longer have
    access to the old copy of WinXP that was upon it.

    If this is incorrect and you have access to the old copy of XP - then (as "Patrick
    Keenan" quite rightly points out) it is a whole lot easier to 1). start the old XP
    2). Start the old OExpress & 3). Export each mail account setting (to an .iaf
    file) by : going to "Tools" > "Accounts" - click on the "Mail" tab - click on the
    "Export" button for each mail account.

    Otherwise, the more complicated method I outlined is the only way to retrieve your
    old settings if you can no longer access the old copy of XP.

    ==

    Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

    Tim Meddick, Jan 3, 2010
  10. brassplyer

    On Jan 3, 2:21 pm, "Tim Meddick" <> wrote:
    > *NB - In my previous post, I assumed your slave drive was drive [D:] but [obviously]
    > if it not - then you need to change the drive-letter accordingly.
    >
    > *Plus - I also assumed that all you have is the old drive and that you nolonger have
    > access to the old copy of WinXP that was upon it.

    Didn't have access to it as an O/S, though the files are on the disk.

    I went through the procedure, and other than a snag when it left
    duplicate "Main identities" it worked, however I seem to be not be
    having success with the old address book. I copied the old .wab file
    to where the current one is, but OE isn't picking up on it.

    I fixed the duplicate main identity problem mention above by erasing
    the newer one in the registry and the identities folder and OE then
    recognized the contest of the remaining one.

    brassplyer, Jan 4, 2010
  11. brassplyer

    brassplyer Guest

    Re: How to clone outlook express configuration one XP machine toanother

    Ah, nevermind, the username has to match the folder it's in. Now it's
    working.

    I really appreciate the assistance.

    brassplyer, Jan 4, 2010
  12. brassplyer

    brassplyer Guest

    Re: How to clone outlook express configuration one XP machine toanother

    The only thing I'm finding it's not doing the same as it was on the
    old machine is that when I invoke OE, instead of opening the Main
    Identity by default, it opens whichever identity I was last in.

    brassplyer, Jan 5, 2010
  13. brassplyer

    Bruce Hagen Guest

    > The only thing I'm finding it's not doing the same as it was on the
    > old machine is that when I invoke OE, instead of opening the Main
    > Identity by default, it opens whichever identity I was last in.

    See if this is what you need.

    Force Identity Logon:
    http://www.insideoe.com/tips/forceid.htm
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP [Mail]

    Bruce Hagen, Jan 5, 2010
  14. brassplyer

    Tim Meddick Guest

    Well done for getting that far with it!

    About the WAB file -
    The [.wab] file for a profile is stored in :

    c:\documents and settings\%USERNAME%\application data\microsoft\address book\

    ...under the name : %username%.wab

    All you have to do is retrieve this file and place it somewhere obvious.

    Then, in Outlook Express choose "File" > "Import" > "Address Book"

    After clicking on this you are faced with a browser to search for a [.wab] file to
    import.

    Just browse to your "obviously" placed [.wab] file and click on the [Open] button.

    All contacts in the [.wab] file should then be visible in the current identity you
    imported it in.

    The other way is to exit OE, replace the current wab file for a given identity with
    the older one (changing the wab filename to that of the new identities') and then
    restarting OE.

    This is a far more complicated way of going about it and there's very few reasons I
    can think of for doing it the "long way round".

    ==

    Tim Meddick, Jan 5, 2010