How to change Explore Type designation

George Harte

I installed Efax onto my computer and it improperly
changed the program assocation for TIF files from
Photoshop to Efax. In addition, the Explore column Type
was also showing Efax as the type.

I used the Explore toolbar command Tools/Folder
Options/File Type to change the program association back
to Photoshop, but the Explore Type column is still
showing Efax as the type. How do I fix this?

David Candy

Clicking Change changes nothing in File Association, it sets up a program to override that associations default program (Open With's Open Program [not used unless a user changes something] take precedence over file associations Open Program).

Type regedit in Start Run
Navigate to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tiff

and set the default value to
If Office XP or later
MSPaper.Document
If not office
TIFImage.Document

You may want to note what it says there and look it up at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<what ever it says>
and graft any efax specific commands to which ever one you are using (eg to TIFImage.Document).

Kelly

Your response never showed here for me until now, David.

Clicking Change changes nothing in File Association, it sets up a program to
override that associations default program (Open With's Open Program [not
used unless a user changes something] take precedence over file associations
Open Program).

Type regedit in Start Run
Navigate to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tiff

and set the default value to
If Office XP or later
MSPaper.Document
If not office
TIFImage.Document

You may want to note what it says there and look it up at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<what ever it says>
and graft any efax specific commands to which ever one you are using (eg to
TIFImage.Document).

George Harte

Fantastic! Thanks
As a corollary, I copied my Efax associated TIF files
onto a ZIP drive and sent to a commercial printer. When
she read the files it changed her associations to Efax
also, and she doesn't even have Efax on her computer. I
will apply your fix to her computer also. If you have
time, could you explain how/why this happened?

George
Clicking Change changes nothing in File Association, it
sets up a program to override that associations default
program (Open With's Open Program [not used unless a user
changes something] take precedence over file associations
Open Program).
Type regedit in Start Run
Navigate to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tiff

and set the default value to
If Office XP or later
MSPaper.Document
If not office
TIFImage.Document

You may want to note what it says there and look it up at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<what ever it says>
and graft any efax specific commands to which ever one
you are using (eg to TIFImage.Document).wrote in message [email protected]...

David Candy

This is not possible. Therefore something else has happened. What about her tif files that you didn't send. Have they changed as well?

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html