How to change desktop icon for a specific VBS script

I know how to change the icon associated with all .VBS file types, but is
there any way to change the icon for an individual .VBS file so it can be
distinguished from all the other .VBS icons on a Desktop? You cannot find a
"change icon" button in the Properties, so are there any other ways to make
this happen? Thanks.

Keith Miller

Two options I can think of:

1) Use a shortcut to the script. Shortcuts can have individual icons reassigned.

2) Create a new file extension (.vbq) with the same actions as .vbs but with a different icon.

Good Luck,
Keith

kenny

3) use iconpackager from stardock.com that allows you to control
icons compleatly (not free)

Two options I can think of:

1) Use a shortcut to the script. Shortcuts can have individual icons
reassigned.

2) Create a new file extension (.vbq) with the same actions as .vbs but with
a different icon.

Good Luck,
Keith

Keith Miller

Nothing in the description implies that it will allow more than one icon for a particular filetype (.vbs), determining which icon to apply based on filename, which is essentially what the OP is asking for. But I'm not familiar with IconPackager...are you sure about what you are saying?

Keith

Ramesh, MS-MVP

One of these programs may help.

Icon Changer - icon software to change desktop icons. IconChanger lets you
customize computer icons:
http://www.shelllabs.com/

Stardock: Object Desktop - IconPackager:
http://www.stardock.com/products/iconpackager/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I know how to change the icon associated with all .VBS file types, but is
there any way to change the icon for an individual .VBS file so it can be
distinguished from all the other .VBS icons on a Desktop? You cannot find a
"change icon" button in the Properties, so are there any other ways to make
this happen? Thanks.

David Candy

It's possible with an icon handler ala web pages created with Office have office icons.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
Nothing in the description implies that it will allow more than one icon for a particular filetype (.vbs), determining which icon to apply based on filename, which is essentially what the OP is asking for. But I'm not familiar with IconPackager...are you sure about what you are saying?

Keith

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Adding to David.

An icon handler is a type of Shell extension handler that allows you to
dynamically assign icons to the members of a file class. Every time a file
from the class is displayed, the Shell queries the handler for the
appropriate icon. For instance, an icon handler can assign different icons
to different members of the class, or vary the icon based on the current
state of the file.

Creating Icon Handlers:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._extending/extensionhandlers/iconhandlers.asp

The "Icon Changer" software that I posted earlier, uses an IconHandler to
assign different icons for the same file type. The file names list is held
in a database, and the handler reads them dynamically.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It's possible with an icon handler ala web pages created with Office have
office icons.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
Nothing in the description implies that it will allow more than one icon for
a particular filetype (.vbs), determining which icon to apply based on
filename, which is essentially what the OP is asking for. But I'm not
familiar with IconPackager...are you sure about what you are saying?

Keith

kenny

yes icon packager can change a singe icon for a singe file

Nothing in the description implies that it will allow more than one icon for
a particular filetype (.vbs), determining which icon to apply based on
filename, which is essentially what the OP is asking for. But I'm not
familiar with IconPackager...are you sure about what you are saying?

Keith

Mungo Bulge

Actually Keith's shortcut is the easiest as it is target file type
independent.

| yes icon packager can change a singe icon for a singe file
|

| | Nothing in the description implies that it will allow more than one
icon for
| a particular filetype (.vbs), determining which icon to apply based
on
| filename, which is essentially what the OP is asking for. But I'm
not
| familiar with IconPackager...are you sure about what you are saying?
|
| Keith
|

| | > 3) use iconpackager from stardock.com that allows you to control
| > icons compleatly (not free)

| > 1) Use a shortcut to the script. Shortcuts can have individual
icons
| > reassigned.
| >
| > 2) Create a new file extension (.vbq) with the same actions as
..vbs but
| > with
| > a different icon.
| >
| > Good Luck,