    thanks for any help.

    Mel

    , Apr 9, 2007

  2. Guest Guest

    I use 3rd party software.
    http://www.speedferret.com/speedferret.html

    --
    -Matt
    Microsoft Certified Professional

    Guest, Apr 9, 2007

  3. If you open Tools >>> Options >>> General tab, there is Name AutoCorrect.
    Generally it only works partially, and causes all kinds of problems if you
    don't forget to turn it back off after finishing. One tool that always works
    and I find indespensible as a developer is Speed Ferret:

    http://www.speedferret.com/

    a bit less expensive is Find & Replace but I'm not sure if it works with
    Access 2003:

    http://www.rickworld.com/products.html

    Be sure to turn off Name AutoCorrect when you are done.
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    http://www.datastrat.com

    Arvin Meyer [MVP], Apr 9, 2007
  4. Jeff Boyce Guest

    In addition to the other suggestions you've already received, you need to
    remember that you have to work in the back-end to make field/table name
    changes, then work in the front-end to update the references to those
    changed names (using the tools the other responders have suggested).

    Regards

    Jeff Boyce
    Microsoft Office/Access MVP

    Jeff Boyce, Apr 9, 2007
  5. On 9 Apr 2007 07:33:52 -0700, wrote:

    >I need to change the field names in a table in a split database.
    >
    >How can I do this and have the queries & forms in the Front End pickup
    >the new field name?
    >
    >or must I redo all the forms & queries in the Front End?
    >
    >thanks for any help.
    >
    >Mel

    I'd add yet one more caveat to the suggestions you've gotten:

    Make the field changes in the backend.

    Then open the frontend, DELETE the links to the changed tables, and use
    File... Get External Data... Link to create a fresh link to the changed table.

    The frontend can cache information about the table, and I've seen wierd things
    happen when a backend table is changed. Even using the Linked Table Manager
    doesn't necessarily correct the problems; deleting the table link and
    relinking is cheap insurance.

    John W. Vinson [MVP]

    John W. Vinson, Apr 9, 2007

    I'd reccomend not using MDB-- because of the unnecessary complexity of
    splitting and linking, refreshing.

    Keep your data in an Access Data Project; and your life will be a lot
    simpler

    On Apr 9, 7:33 am, wrote:
    > I need to change the field names in a table in a split database.
    >
    > How can I do this and have the queries & forms in the Front End pickup
    > the new field name?
    >
    > or must I redo all the forms & queries in the Front End?
    >
    > thanks for any help.
    >
    > Mel

    , Apr 9, 2007