How to apply folder view options to all subfolders?

B

benb

Is there any way to apply/copy the folder view options (file size,
type, etc) from one folder to all it's subfolders?

I'm aware of the Windows Explorer Tools->Folder Options->View abiliy to
apply the current folder view settings to ALL folders, but I only want
to apply them to subfolders since I'd like to use one view for a
hierarchy of photo folders, another for a hierarchy of audio folders.

Ben

B

benb

I'm not sure what you mean by "split"...

Just to be clear... I just want to be able to set the fields displayed
(file size, type, etc) for subfolders by copying them from the current
folder, rather than having to do them manually one by one (and again if
I want to make a change).

Maybe I can find a dillerent file manager that'll do it.

Ben

K

Keith Miller MVP

I've written a script that will apply all the view customizations you can set to all of a folder's
subfolders. Right-click the link below & save to your computer. The zip file contains a readme
file & the script itself.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/FVM3.zip

You can select a folder & configure its view settings, then those are set to be inherited by all
subfolders (you have the option of saving or wiping out current saved views) . You can set a
default for My Pics, another for My Music, and then a more generic default for My Computer. The
inheritance settings are separate from the folder view itself -- for example, you can set a
non-grouped view to be the default inheritance for My Computer, then return My Computer to its
standard 'group by type' layout after running the script without affecting the default view you have
set.

B

benb

Wow!

That's awesome, Keith - thanks very much!

I'll give it a try a bit later tonite.

Ben
I've written a script that will apply all the view customizations you can set to all of a folder's
subfolders. Right-click the link below & save to your computer. The zip file contains a readme

You can select a folder & configure its view settings, then those are set to be inherited by all
subfolders (you have the option of saving or wiping out current saved views) . You can set a
default for My Pics, another for My Music, and then a more generic default for My Computer. The
inheritance settings are separate from the folder view itself -- for example, you can set a
non-grouped view to be the default inheritance for My Computer, then return My Computer to its
standard 'group by type' layout after running the script without affecting the default view you have
set.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

benb said:

Ben

B

benb

Hi Keith,

Just to follow-up, I've been using you're script today, and it's
awesome - does exactly what I want... very useful!

Thanks again,
Ben
Wow!

Ben

set.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

benb said:

Ben

K

Keith Miller MVP

You're welcome. Glad it helps. Thanks for the feedback.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

benb said:
Hi Keith,

Just to follow-up, I've been using you're script today, and it's
awesome - does exactly what I want... very useful!

Thanks again,
Ben
Wow!

Ben
I've written a script that will apply all the view customizations you can set to all of a
folder's
subfolders. Right-click the link below & save to your computer. The zip file contains a
readme

You can select a folder & configure its view settings, then those are set to be inherited by
all
default for My Pics, another for My Music, and then a more generic default for My Computer.
The
standard 'group by type' layout after running the script without affecting the default view you
have
set.

--
Good Luck,

Keith

Ben

Reaction score
Sorry for dragging up such an old topic, but I've just come across this after an otherwise fruitless Google search.

I'm keen to find some way to set the view settings in Windows Explorer for a specific folder and all it's subfolders all in one go, without affecting other folders, and I simply can't find any way to do it in Windows XP.

This script from Keith Miller looked like it would have been perfect, but the zipfile he offered now seems to be missing or corrupt (shows as empty when I download it).

Does anyone know a way to get hold of it, or do you know of any other way to achieve what I want?

TIA

Ask a Question