How should I play streaming music from pc through my stereo?

Reaction score
Hi all

I am always listening to online radio and streaming mixes when I'm online but my laptop has a pretty basic sound card and I'd love to make use of my nice stereo system to listen to this music. What is the most cost-effective way of connecting my laptop to my stereo and by-passing the PC sounds card? I saw a product called a Xitel Hi-Fi link which looked quite good. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Cheers

Stu

Reaction score
well, you can't really "bypass" the laptops sound chip (as its on board and not a "card" as such) :) But the most cost effective way is a simple 3.5mm stero jack from the headphone socket to the line in on your hi-fi. The quailty of that will be er.... how can I put this.... not brilliant, but it would be passable as after all it is streaming audio and its already compressed :D There are other methods, but they involve buying all sorts of bits of kit that to be honest, won't really improve the audio. (in the case of streaming audio anyway)

My setup is a little more complicated, as i have a soundblaster audigy 2 on my base unit, and have the digital out going to my surround amp, the standard audio out running to my video/tv setup, a usb connection for desktop speakers, and finally a headphone output on the front panel :D sort of covers all the things I want to do...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup.. looks ok, I think my mate has one of those, and I know we had an older (radio as opposed to bluetooth) version and it worked fine.

Reaction score
Really any of those wireless transmitters wil do the job, you should even be able to find one that will transmit via FM that you can then pick up on your hi-fi radio (or any radio in the house, although you need to check about range and the legal implications of UK use)

the old saying, you pays yer money....

I would not rush in and buy yet, I am sure somebody on here has used something similar, i would give it a day or so to see what our trans-atlantic users have to say :D

Ask a Question