How share program files folder on LAN?

jtsnow

On my Home LAN I cannot see contents of the Program Files Folder on other
PCs.
On those PC the entired C drive is set to share yet that folder will still
not allow access.
When attempting to set share permission on that particular folder, the
option is shaded out and not available to make as share.

Is there a way to set the sharing for ALL folders on the C drive? I am the
admin on all PCs.

thanks for any tips

André Gulliksen

jtsnow said:
On my Home LAN I cannot see contents of the Program Files Folder on
other PCs.
On those PC the entired C drive is set to share yet that folder will
still not allow access.
When attempting to set share permission on that particular folder, the
option is shaded out and not available to make as share.

That's weird, mine is not. Did you try copying, moving or renaming the
folder?
Is there a way to set the sharing for ALL folders on the C drive? I
am the admin on all PCs.

Did you try using the default C$ share?

jtsnow said:
On my Home LAN I cannot see contents of the Program Files Folder on other
PCs.
On those PC the entired C drive is set to share yet that folder will still
not allow access.
When attempting to set share permission on that particular folder, the
option is shaded out and not available to make as share.

Is there a way to set the sharing for ALL folders on the C drive? I am the
admin on all PCs.

thanks for any tips
--------

Microsoft, in it's infinite wisdom, does not seem to allow you to share
all folders. There are some they just won't let you touch remotely.

There are others however, like Documents&Settings which don't seem to
allow you to access them just by setting "C" for share, but if you go
into the sub folders individually and set them to share, then they will.

And why they removed the ability to set passwords on share access like
Win98 already had totally eludes me. They removed one level of security
from the system. They tell you not to worry, just upgrade to XP Pro,
but that's a cop out. They simply reduced the OS security for no
apparent reason IMHO.

Anyhow, mostly you can share your C disk (with everyone on the net) but
you may need to do some tinkering to get there. And if you're trying to
backup stuff from selected subdirectories which don't allow sharing you
may need to copy them to a sharable subdirectory first.

Good luck....

Bill

Gordon

jtsnow said:
On my Home LAN I cannot see contents of the Program Files Folder on other
PCs.
On those PC the entired C drive is set to share yet that folder will still
not allow access.
When attempting to set share permission on that particular folder, the
option is shaded out and not available to make as share.

Is there a way to set the sharing for ALL folders on the C drive? I am the
admin on all PCs.

thanks for any tips
Why would you *want* to share the program folder? very few programs can
run over a Network, they need to be installed on each machine.

André Gulliksen

jtsnow said:
what is C$?

In XP, 2000 and NT all drives are by default shared, with a $ appended to
the drive letter. Thus all your drives are by default shared as C$, D$ etc.
The $ means that the shares will not be seen when browsed for, but they can
be connected to manually.

Gordon said:
Why would you *want* to share the program folder? very few programs can
run over a Network, they need to be installed on each machine.

One reason: Some programs insist on storing their configuration stuff
within their installation subdirectory. That makes it difficult then to
do remote backups from another machine on the network. You may not want
to execute remotely, or backup all the installation stuff, but you would
still like to backup anything that gets changed after installation.

Bill

jtsnow

yea its for backup...im not running the programs remote. I want to
backup the program files folder
thx

Chuck Davis

Your installation CDs are your backup. Downloaded installation files should
be placed in My Documents for backup.

Ken Blake

In
Chuck Davis said:
Your installation CDs are your backup. Downloaded installation
files
should be placed in My Documents for backup.

There are no rules for where such files *should* be kept.
Downloaded installation files should be placed in whatever folder
you find convenient for that purpose. I don't keep mine in "My
Documents," because they are *not* documents and I would find
that confusing. I keep mine in a folder I've created called
\downloads.

Chuck said:
Your installation CDs are your backup. Downloaded installation files should
be placed in My Documents for backup.
"jtsnow" <[email protected]> wrote in message

You must not have read the part about some programs also writing their
configuration stuff into the installation subdirectory. So the issue
isn't backing up the basic installation CD, it's backing up things that
change after installation. For some programs...

Bill

jtsnow

this guy is a dweeb!

lmfao!

Chuck Davis said:
Your installation CDs are your backup. Downloaded installation files
should be placed in My Documents for backup.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Ken Blake,

le/on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:26:58 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
In

There are no rules for where such files *should* be kept.
Downloaded installation files should be placed in whatever folder
you find convenient for that purpose. I don't keep mine in "My
Documents," because they are *not* documents and I would find
that confusing. I keep mine in a folder I've created called
\downloads.

Well well, great minds think alike. I do exactly the same.

Do you only keep the latest version of programs there, or what? I found
about four different versions of a couple of programs that's had active
development over a number of years, and I was chagrined to see that I had 6
(count 'em) versions of Panda virus definitions dating from when I used it
(2 years ago!).

I have to say that I find the sub folders with My Documents to be near to
pushing the limits of what is meant by "documents" I prefer to define "My
music", "my videos" "my pictures" quite separately. In fact, although this
is quite a long way from the way Msoft conceives of it, I would much prefer
to organise my disk completely differently.

C:\ exclusively for Windows.
D:\ exclusively for applications that I have installed (taking "I" broadly)
E:\ exclusively for application data that I have created. (letters, scanned
docs, pictures and so on)
F:\ for anything else.

Then all I have to do us to carry out a back up on the whole of E to have
all my personal stuff safe. I can re-install applications to D:/ from CD
(where I always keep a back up of "download" and I don't need to touch C:\

Unfortunately not all programs are flexible enough for that and some won't
let me have ANY say.

Ken Blake

In
Ian Hoare said:
Salut/Hi Ken Blake,

le/on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:26:58 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

Well well, great minds think alike. I do exactly the same.

Do you only keep the latest version of programs there, or what?
found about four different versions of a couple of programs
that's
had active development over a number of years, and I was
chagrined to
see that I had 6 (count 'em) versions of Panda virus
definitions
dating from when I used it (2 years ago!).

Hi, Ian. Good to see you participating actively here.

Since I have plenty of free disk space, I still have everything
I've ever downloaded on this machine. That's partly because I
think there just possibly *might* be a situation where I'd want
to go back to an old version of something, and partly (mostly?)
because I'm too lazy to clean it out.

Of course if disk space were ever to become an issue, that would
be one of the first folders I'd clean up.

I have to say that I find the sub folders with My Documents to
be
near to pushing the limits of what is meant by "documents" I
prefer
to define "My music", "my videos" "my pictures" quite
separately. In
fact, although this is quite a long way from the way Msoft
conceives
of it, I would much prefer to organise my disk completely
differently.

And that's fine. The best organization scheme is the one that
works for you. I don't think anybody to feel any compulsion to
keep pictures in ...\My Documents\My Pictures, and the same is
true with all the other such folders.

A important part of the rationale for how most people should
organize their data should be how they do theirr backups. It's
clumsy, and perhaps error-prone if every time you do a backup,
you have to pick and choose files and folders scattered all over
the place. But since *my* personal scheme is to use Drive Image
to make a complete copy of the drive, I don't worry about that
aspect of where things are stored.

DanS

<SNIP>

[...]

don't you hate that ? i'm pretty particular about the hd structure on my
computer, and there's always an app of two that has to screw everything
up.

another thing that bug's me is program's that won't let you install to a
path with spaces in it, ala Program Files. for instance, the company
worked for just got OrCAD v10, an electronic schematic and a PC board
design program. every version since 6 (?) that i have used was installed
to the Program Files folder. so v10 is released and in this one you MUST
install to a path with no spaces, forcing you to add another root
subdirectory that totally doesn't fit my install structure.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi DanS,

le/on Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:10:45 -0600, tu disais/you said:-
don't you hate that ?

Yes I do. And in fact it's one of the major beefs I had with Microsoft. I
bought a computer, and it is mine. I have the right to do with it anything I
damn well choose, so long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I DON'T like the
restrictions imposed by Microsoft in their licence, which IMO is actually
the most effective and original thing that the company ever did. (I'm
exaggerating slightly for effect), but HAVE to accept them in order to use a
functioning O/S with decent applications.

I found that Microsoft were one of the most high handed when it came to
taking over the structure of my disk and directories/subdirectories. They've
improves somewhat, and XP is far better (IMO) in that respect. BUT, for
example, their creation of a non standard "My Document" area, which is
outside the normal directory structure is unhelpful.
i'm pretty particular about the hd structure on my computer, and there's
always an app of two that has to screw everything up.

Yup. I think one of the worst offenders in that respect, for all I use it
and like it very much for its functionality is Corel's Wordperfect, which
leaves bits of itself scattered all over hell's half acre. Their default
choice of "My Documents" for files is typical. Who in their right mind would
organise their files into a totally non-standard and unstructured place.
another thing that bugs me is program's that won't let you install to a
path with spaces in it, ala Program Files.

I can't say I've had any of these. (I agree with you by the way).

I have c:\Program Files because I have to, for badly behaved programs that
give me no choice, and then D:\Program Files for the rest!
to the Program Files folder. so v10 is released and in this one you MUST
install to a path with no spaces, forcing you to add another root
subdirectory that totally doesn't fit my install structure.

I'd complain to your company's IT dept, assuming it has one, or failing that
to the company themselves, demanding that they refund their brain dead
software. They won't of course, but they WILL be made aware of the
irritation they've caused.

Ken Blake

In
BUT, for example, their creation of a
non standard "My Document" area, which is outside the normal
directory structure is unhelpful.

Ian, "My Documents" is not really outside the normal directory
structure. It's normally found in
C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\My Documents

What you're seeing as outside the normal directory structure is
what's called a "namespace," and is just a pointer to the actual
folder itself.

DanS

<SNIP>

Ian Hoare said:
Yup. I think one of the worst offenders in that respect, for all I use
it and like it very much for its functionality is Corel's Wordperfect,
which leaves bits of itself scattered all over hell's half acre. Their
default choice of "My Documents" for files is typical. Who in their
right mind would organise their files into a totally non-standard and
unstructured place.

i've got to say it, so....how many micro$oft engineers does it take to
change a lightbulb ?

.......none....they just make darkness the standard.

i'm sure you've heard that one before though.

but anyway, another peeve is the whole 'My' folder's thing....My Webs, My
Pictures, My Music, My Downloads, etc. you can delete them all but they
come right back at some point. it wasn't more than 6 months ago that i
found out how to stop that from happening......

regsvr32 /u mydocs.dll

or if it still comes back after a while, just rename mydocs.dll to
something else or delete it altogether. no more 'My Folders', except for
the 'My Documents' of course.

MICROSOFT JUST DOESN'T GET IT. i'm sure that a very large percentage of
users out there don't want all the stuff installed on default that is
installed. any computer i've worked on/installed windows to/fixed, i start
by disabling probably up to a dozen services that aren't needed. then go
thru and cleanup the harddrive of other stuff, like 'Online Services'. who
want's to use the built-in CD burning of XP when it is rudimentary and very
basic when every CDr drive comes with REAL burning software.

i personally would go back to Windows95, if i could, just for the
'liteness' of it, but unfortunately, XP can't be beat for stability and the
eye candy is nice, Win98 is was still 'lite' enough.

i thought this was an interesting project:

http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~e8gus/nano98/ , a very basic Win98 system that
on 4.3 Megs in size with a GUI. a very lite start.

regards,

DanS