How secure is your pc ??

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Using the link above I tried out their free tool ( All Service Ports ) to check out my port security. Below is my result for my Ubuntu box running through my SpeedTouch 585v6sl router.

Seems like I am pretty secure as I get a 100% stealth rating.

Am I reading the results correctly ?

attachment.php

attachment.php

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+1]Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS[/size][/font] [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif]Many Internet connection IP addresses are associated with a DNS machine name. (But yours is not.) The presence of "Reverse DNS", which allows the machine name to be retrieved from the IP address, can represent a privacy and possible security concern for Internet consumers since it may uniquely and persistently identify your Internet account — and therefore you — and may disclose other information, such as your geographic location. [/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif]When present, reverse DNS is supported by Internet service providers. But no such lookups are possible with your current Internet connection address (92.2*.***.***.). That's generally a good thing.[/font]

On another part of the site I am told the above which also seems pretty good to me also.

So does your pc stand up to the test ?????

happywave.gif

Attachments

• shot-1.jpg
    shot-1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 321
  • shot.png
    shot.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 354

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This is the result from the File Shareing Tool.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=-1][size=+1]Please Stand By. . .[/size][/size][/font]
1.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+0]Attempting connection to your computer. . .
[size=-1]Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet![/size]
[/size][/font]
reddash.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+0]Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
[size=-1]One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.[/size]
[/size][/font]
reddash.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+0]Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
[size=-1]All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.[/size]
[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=-1]
darkredpixel.gif

transpixel.gif

Unfortunate as it is, the dangers presented by unprotected use of the Internet are very real, and they are growing every day.
[/size][/font] [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=-1]Please help to prevent system intrusions by spreading the word and telling your Internet friends about these free services. They will always be free, and they will be enhanced from time to time as other security needs and problems arise. I'll be glad to drop you a short eMail note when new solutions or significant improvements are made. Check out our "User-Managed eMail System" here! [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=-1]The world's Internet is an incredible facility, but like any powerful tool it needs to be used with care, wisdom, and caution. Unfortunately, not everyone with access to the Internet has your best interests at heart. [/size][/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=-1]
smg-sig2.gif
[/size][/font]

:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
So does your pc stand up to the test ?????
Yes ...

99% of PC will, even using Windows firewall as I am (actally, your choice of Router is your first line of defence) ... oh, look, I got perfect stealth. :wave:

Splat, shot down again. :lol:

We been here before. :nod: :p

:user:

Attachments

• pass.JPG
    pass.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 177

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Before my time then.
nod.gif

Aye, but I suppose it never hurts to be reminded :thumb:

This is a more direct link to the serrvices offered by GRC: Shields Up

Just tried all tests myself. It would appear my XP machine is safe, all tests passed.

Which is probably mostly down to my Linksys router.

muckshifter

Reaction score
huh!!

Feeling extra paranoid today? Want another opinion?
Nope!!

There are, 65,535 ports ... not counting USB, IDE, I/O, SCSI and them all. :p

Why don't they check 'em all. :lol:

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm probably going to regret asking this but... what on earth is a 79 (Finger) port? I see it on Flopps' result, and I saw it on the one I did here too. :nod:

muckshifter

Reaction score
good question

It's one of the "common" ports in use ... who 'finger' actually belongs to, I dunno, but each port is assigned to someone/something.

just to give you an idea ... Port 1863 belongs to MSN messenger, 5631 to pc anywhere and 1214 belongs to kazaa/morpheus. ;)

Depends what you got loaded and need to talk to the tinternet. :thumb:

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Aye, but I suppose it never hurts to be reminded :thumb:

This is a more direct link to the serrvices offered by GRC: Shields Up

Just tried all tests myself. It would appear my XP machine is safe, all tests passed.

Which is probably mostly down to my Linksys router.

Read through the info and theses tests only test the first line of defence. In our casees our routers not our actual pc's. To see how secure your pc is you would need to connect it to the internet without the router or with all the routers security turned of.

Tried the HackerWatch link and it gives the same secure pass . Interestingly enough HackerWatch links are included in McAfee's firewall and you can send info to them easily to help to try and stop hackers.

nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://www.grc.com/port_79.htm

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif]The Finger RFC
transpixel.gif

There is, of course, an RFC document for "Finger" . . . and not just one, but a succession of four, each obsoleting the previous. This is what kept those first seventeen Internet users busy back in the good old "chicken and egg" days while they were waiting for all of the rest of us to get a clue and dump our money into this really nifty 110-baud teletype text network they had created. Lotsa RFC's back then, not much heat.

nod.gif

transpixel.gif
[/font]

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I knew I'd regret asking;) ... But thank you for all the responses Mucks, Urmas and Abarbarian. :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Nope!!

There are, 65,535 ports ... not counting USB, IDE, I/O, SCSI and them all. :p

Why don't they check 'em all. :lol:

:wave:

I'll hazard a guess and offer the notion that the ports these sevices check are the ones that are most commonly attacked :D

Ooh, I'm so clever sometimes I could just fandango nekkid across Trafalgar Square in celebration :D

Reaction score
Pretty secure mine:D if you can get past my dog you can have the PC:lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'll hazard a guess and offer the notion that the ports these sevices check are the ones that are most commonly attacked :D

Ooh, I'm so clever sometimes I could just fandango nekkid across Trafalgar Square in celebration :D

You will of course be posting pictures. :p

Ask a Question