How much money can you save by building your own PC

Article How much money can you save by building your own PC

Reaction score
Naylor submitted a new article:

How much money can you save by building your own PC - How much money can you save by building your own PC

As a PC hardware enthusiast who fixes computers for people on a regular basis, I am frequently asked how much it would cost to put together a ‘brand new’ or ‘gaming’ computer that will either allow somebody to browse the internet and use office programs, or ‘be better than my games console’. There are a multiple facets to this question, and I have found that PC users are generally more willing to spend a lot of money on pre-built systems at large retail chain stores, rather than put in the...

Read more about this article...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
It does depend on some ones skill if they can build there own.
I used to build pc's for a living 11 yrs ago but they have gone more upmarket since then.
And some companies offer good deals on pre-built systems, you just have to look a bit!

It goes down to price+ time+getting the parts+building+testing?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Excellent advice Naylor, let's hope that more people try building their own PCs! :thumb:

It does depend on some ones skill if they can build there own.
I used to build pc's for a living 11 yrs ago but they have gone more upmarket since then.
And some companies offer good deals on pre-built systems, you just have to look a bit!

It goes down to price+ time+getting the parts+building+testing?

I guess it'll never be for everyone, but I built my first PC in 2012 and was amazed at how easy it was to do. IMO self-build is currently viewed by the majority of people as being for nerds only, so it would be nice if people realised that it is actually something they can try themselves :nod:

Reaction score
Oh yes, totally agree, but the fact if your out working all day and no one is in the house for deliveries etc it can take time to get everything together. That said my next pc might well be a self build because I want a certain spec that cant be offered on pre-builds.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Great article Naylor. :)

Building a PC is easy, as long as you take your time etc. The hard bit is making it tidy and of course, fault finding if it plays up!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You will never save money building your own pc.

Reason is,

You will have a budget and spec in mind. You will look for best price. You will see a Daily special for one part that is better spec than the original planned one for just a touch more loot. You will then se anothe r Special deal on another part that will better match the Daily Deal though it will cost a touch more loot. You then reevaluate the spec and decide that with the Daily Deal and the Special Deal you need to look for Yet another Daily Deal for the rest of the parts that you may as well upgrade as you want a matched system. This will of course cost a touch more. Foolishly you press enter and buy the Daily Deal. At this point you are committed to the revised spec. Also you are infused with zeal to complete the project, nothing will stand in your way. You miss one of the yet another Daily Deals and find you have to buy at full price.Not a problem as it will only add a touch more loot to the cost. However the part was only marginally up to spec and you see that a better spec part is only a touch more loot. You buy the part. Finally you have purchased all the parts needed and built the pc. Good job, well done.
However this has all taken some time and cost substantially more than originally budgeted for.Also sadly due to the fast pace of inovation in the pc world your gleaming throbbing monster is now out of date.
Not a problem all you need t do is replace part X and you will nearly be up to date. All you need is a touch more loot. :cool:

Reaction score
An interesting article.
If I build my own PC it is for the pleasure of it rather than saving money which is doubtful to say the least.
I have built several PCs from scratch in the past but not for about 5 years or so as like most people I now use laptops and tablets which are nigh impossible to build yourself. I would however like to have another go and of course would only use SSD to hold the OS.
There was talk of doing away with BIOS at boot up is this now the case.? surely BIOS is considered an 80's dinosaur and should be avoided in this modern age? As the screen won't be touch screen is there any point installing Windows 8 or 8.1?
Thanks

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
An interesting article.
If I build my own PC it is for the pleasure of it rather than saving money which is doubtful to say the least.
I have built several PCs from scratch in the past but not for about 5 years or so as like most people I now use laptops and tablets which are nigh impossible to build yourself. I would however like to have another go and of course would only use SSD to hold the OS.
There was talk of doing away with BIOS at boot up is this now the case.? surely BIOS is considered an 80's dinosaur and should be avoided in this modern age? As the screen won't be touch screen is there any point installing Windows 8 or 8.1?
Thanks

Have a read here for recent changes. Most modern mobos come with UEFI rather than BIOS though some come with BIOS and UEFI capability.

The Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) (pronounced as an initialism U-E-F-I or like "unify" without the n)[a] is a specification that defines a software interface between an operating system and platform firmware. UEFI is meant to replace the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) firmware interface, originally present in all IBM PC-compatible personal computers.[2][3] In practice, most UEFI images provide legacy support for BIOS services. UEFI can support remote diagnostics and repair of computers, even without another operating system.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

:cool:

Reaction score
In all of the assessments, it was passed off that the "build-it-yourself" PC was either as good or better than the store-bought one, but each time, the build-it-yourself had only Windows 7 Home, instead of Windows 8.1. You also use motherboards that may or may not have had the same or better audio and video chipsets, FSB speed, and the like -- these were not compared or divulged. Sometimes getting a comparable video card or the next-gen OS costs the extra $100-200 you purport we would save by doing it ourselves. And there is much time involved in acquiring and putting together the parts - and time is money. Sometimes it is worth paying that to save one's self the headache.

I agree, about 10 years ago, when manufacturers were giving 40 GB hard drives, 512 MB of RAM, and maybe a 1.2 GHz CPU as standard, for $750 or more, it actually made sense to buy the parts separate and put them together for less than half that, since you'd probably end up upgrading those, yourself, down the line, anyway. But now, components are such that what they are offering as standard (finally) actually meets most needs, already. To me, the difference in cost, at least in the U.S., which would have seen double the cost estimates for the components given ($20 for a wireless card, not 9 pounds; $100-200 for a motherboard, not 40 pounds) actually gives little, if any, savings these days when taking into account time, effort, and newest OS.

Ask a Question