How much Memory can Vista 32 bit support?

Tim Slattery

Micah said:
Well, its sad to see misinformation out there about 32bit 4gb limits... Its VERY sad...

Its an **OPERATING SYSTEM LIMIT**. Not a hardware/bios/32bit/etc limit.

Well, some of both.
I have 8GB of memory in my desktop system. Guess what. All 8GB are being
seen FINE by Debian, Ubuntu-Server, and FreeBSD; all of which are, get
this.... 32bit OS's!

Yes, they are 32-bit systems that use Intel's PAE kludge to get 4
extra bits of address space. Microsoft's desktop systems don't do
that, but their server systems do.
So, tell me again how this isn't a MASSIVE oversight by Microsoft?

Well...it's a price point thing, I think. Server systems are supposed
to be more capable then desktop systems. MS is trying to give you a
reason to upgrade. They're trying to sell things in a way the Linux
distributors are not. Nothing necessarily wrong with either model, but
they are quite different mindsets.

Mike Hall - MVP

Well, some of both.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(Shell/User)

MS is also trying to ensure driver stability over a wider range of devices
than one might have connected to a server..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

ray

Chew Up CPU by sitting there doing nothing

IF that's what you want. I keep mine fairly busy and the nine public
access internet computers at the local library (running Linux) are kept
pretty damned busy all day.

Jed Clampett

ray said:
IF that's what you want. I keep mine fairly busy and the nine public
access internet computers at the local library (running Linux) are kept
pretty damned busy all day.

Sure, Ubuntu is good at surfing the net. For real work you need a real
operating system, not a toy piece of crap that Ubuntu is. Ubuntu was
designed by geeks for geeks.

Jed Clampett

F Oh'Ff vist- A said:
I have read all around the internet about this too
I posted in this thread about googling the keywords "PAE WIKIPEDIA"

thats a good reference to start off... for those who dont believe...

but for some reason this vista newsgroups attracts all kind of idiots and
scum....

So you should feel at home - Idiots and scum.

Alias

Jed said:
Sure, Ubuntu is good at surfing the net. For real work you need a real
operating system, not a toy piece of crap that Ubuntu is. Ubuntu was
designed by geeks for geeks.
Ubuntu is good for much more than surfing the web. Of course, Jed, the
moron, is too stupid to use Ubuntu for anything else. Hell, all he uses
Windows for is posting garbage on newsgroups. You can use Ubuntu for:

Email
Surf the web
Burn CDs.
Rip CDs.
Listen to music.
Watch vidoes/DVDs.
Scan and print.
Spreadsheets.
Presentations
Newsgroups.
HTML editing.
Games like Chess, Tetris, all kinds of solitaire, etc.
Make videos.
Download photos from a camera and organize them.
Translations.
Use a dictionary
Learn how to touch type.
Edit images.
Send and receive a fax.
Take screenshots.
Create .PDF files.
Create and use a data base.
Instant messaging with over 10 different programs in one including
Windows Live Messenger.
IRC.
Bluetooth.

and much more!

What you can't do with Ubuntu:

Worry about:
WPA and WGA raising their ugly heads,
DRM,
Viruses,
Root kits,
Spyware,
and
Malware.

Alias

Mike Hall - MVP

ray said:
Didn't work very well, did it?

Why do you say that? Because you heard of somebody who tried to connect a
device for which the manufacturer no longer wanted to provide support?

Incidentally, when 32bit Linux distros are messed with to much regarding the
memory limitations, they start to lose touch with more than a few device
drivers..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc
Mike's Window - My Blog..

the wharf rat

Given that Ubuntu is supposed to be so damned efficient, the mind boggles as
to why you would want 8GB in a Desktop machine.

CAD, various stats packages working with large datasets,
multimedia editing, or development (several virtual machines including
one pretending to be a database server and that 8GB goes pretty fast).

ray

Sure, Ubuntu is good at surfing the net. For real work you need a real
operating system, not a toy piece of crap that Ubuntu is. Ubuntu was
designed by geeks for geeks.

Oh - you mean 'real work' like digital signal processing of coherent radar
signals for DOD? Did that - used Linux.

Ùpyøurbuttøø

Alias said:
Ubuntu is good for much more than surfing the web. Of course, Jed, the
moron, is too stupid to use Ubuntu for anything else. Hell, all he uses
Windows for is posting garbage on newsgroups. You can use Ubuntu for:

Email
Surf the web
Email
Surf the web.
Email
Surf the web.
Email
Surf the web.
Email
Surf the web.
Email
Games like Pong and Tank and so many more
Email
Surf the web
Email.
Surf the web.
Email
Surf the web.
Email
Surf the webase.
Email
Surf the web.
Email
Surf the web.

and much more like Email and Surf the web!

What you can't do with Ubuntu:

Anything worthwhile

Alias

the wharf rat

Ah...so what you are saying is that *your* desktop machine is actually being
a server and multiple desktops in one. Whereas the OP stated that he had 8GB

No, what I am saying is that a desktop machine is something installed
on (or at least near) a *desk* and used by a single human operator. A
*server* is a machine that is installed in a machine room (or near one or
in whatever passes for one) and used by several to many machine and human
operators. Your idea of "desktop" as "8 or 16 bit personal computer that
is used to run word processing and other light office tasks" is somewhat
antiquated, don't you think?

I tried to come up woith "real world" uses, but in fact modern games
benefit from as much memory as you can throw at them and many perfectly
ordinary boring basically computer naive people do things like edit home
movies on said:
you'd agree, a desktop *role* should not be needing 8GB...yet!

Need? Maybe not. Benefit from? Probably. I don't think I've
ever seen a computer with "too much" memory.

Kerry Brown

I have 8GB installed in my desktop. RAM is cheap. All versions of Windows
work better with more RAM. In fact I'd go so far as to say all current OS's
work better with more RAM, at least up to the max RAM the OS will use. You
don't even need to use any high powered programs to see this. On this
desktop I initially had 2GB of RAM with Vista Ultimate x86. I like to listen
to MP3s while I work. The MP3s are stored on a different computer so I am
playing them over the network. While working I usually have Outlook 2007,
IE7 with several tabs open, Word or Excel, and sometimes Expression Web.
With 2GB of RAM the streaming audio would often stutter. I upgraded to 4GB
and Vista x64. The problem was much better but there was still the odd
stutter once in a while. With 8GB it hasn't stuttered once.

To get back to the OP's topic. I dual boot Suse 10.3 64 bit on this same
computer. Because it's the 64 bit version I don't have to worry about PAE.
If I run the equivalent tasks streaming audio has some problems even with
8GB. I don't think this is the fault of Linux but rather Evolution which is
the Linux Outlook alternative for connecting to an Exchange server. If I
don't run Evolution, streaming audio is fine. With Evolution running the
streaming audio pauses whenever Evolution checks the Exchange server.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration

HeyBub

Jed said:
Sure, Ubuntu is good at surfing the net. For real work you need a
real operating system, not a toy piece of crap that Ubuntu is. Ubuntu was
designed by geeks for geeks.

No, Ubuntu is a re-branded knock-off of a 40-year old operating system
originally designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone
company. It HAS, however, been enhanced by technicians who felt the DOS
command line was not cryptic enough.