How many of you report?

Raven Mill

Don't take this wrong. It's not a complaint or anything like that. I'm
just curious...

How many of you who are having problems and/or finding solutions to those
problems are reporting them to Microsoft? I read a lot of them here on the
NGs, but I wonder how many MS knows about. That is, just for the record,
the PURPOSE of them letting us use the Beta versions.

It would also be nice to know if the folks there respond to feedback they
get.

--
Takali S. Omega
Manager, Raven Mill Computers

Mark D. VandenBerg

I have reported several, and I was absolutely shocked about a week ago to
receive an email from MSFT regarding one of my submissions.

Travis King

I report bugs as I find them to MS. I've probably reported 8 to 10 bugs, if
not, more to date.

Kerry Brown

I've reported a few. From researching them they were already known bugs so I
don't expect a response. I reported them because to me they were important
things I wanted fixed and I'm assuming that more reports moves a bug up on
the priority list.

Colin Barnhorst

You are correct that anecdotal reporting in the ng does not get to MS. The
only way to file a bug that gets into the bug database is with the MBC. As
for the rambling "reviews" of features or Vista as a whole, those don't do
any good here at all. The way to report those is with the "sentiments" link
reached with the Feedback icon or at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/sentiments/default.mspx.

Mark's experience is typical. Each bug reported with the MBC is triaged and
assigned to the team that owns the feature. A programmer may email you for
further info and provide a means for your response if he wants specific logs
or files.

The bug database for Vista passed 120,000 some time ago. Many of those are
dupe, of course, but the TechBeta folks have really kept the teams at MS
hopping.

Colin Barnhorst

That is correct. Members of a bug triage meeting advocate for priorities
and quantity helps them argue their points.

Kerry Brown said:
I've reported a few. From researching them they were already known bugs so
I don't expect a response. I reported them because to me they were
important things I wanted fixed and I'm assuming that more reports moves a
bug up on the priority list.

William

I have reported about half a dozen bugs. Nothing real major, just minor
annoyances and incompatibilities. Nothing that makes me want to dump Vista.

William

Travis said:
I report bugs as I find them to MS. I've probably reported 8 to 10
bugs, if not, more to date.

Andyistic

I only do the report thing if I don't find a resolution elsewhere (i.e. a
newsgroup or tech center) that Microsoft knows about.

-- Andy

jonah

Don't take this wrong. It's not a complaint or anything like that. I'm
just curious...

How many of you who are having problems and/or finding solutions to those
problems are reporting them to Microsoft? I read a lot of them here on the
NGs, but I wonder how many MS knows about. That is, just for the record,
the PURPOSE of them letting us use the Beta versions.

It would also be nice to know if the folks there respond to feedback they
get.

I have sent in 6 or so, not got anything back yet though unlike some
blue -eyed -boys out there.

:cool:

Jonah

Colin Barnhorst

You probably won't hear unless there is a request for further info. I don't
think the CPP participant's are in an email response system like TechBeta
where we get email notices like crazy as the bugs work their way through the
system.

Intel Inside

Whereabouts did you report the bugs Mark?.
+ where can we search to see if the bug has already been submitted by
someone else?

Mark D. VandenBerg said:
I have reported several, and I was absolutely shocked about a week ago to
receive an email from MSFT regarding one of my submissions.

Jimmy Brush

Any questions I answer that involves a bug I file a report about it (unless
it is already known by MS).

- JB

Raven Mill

Hmmm...Well, we've now heard from the "Regulars" ...

Believe it or not, I kinda figured all of YOU folks were...lol

The LFWPT came up with that question because she wonders if MS really
listens to folks or not regarding things that people find. For instance, in
the XP trial, there were a couple of things that a LOT of people complained
about in the NGs, but were never dealt with in the final release. Started
wondering back then if anyone was TELLING MS about the problems instead of
simply complaining about them. It rather reminded me of the AA meetings I
used to go to...