How long will Bill Gates burn in hell?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Um... outlook 97 was the first version of outlook, so there was no earlier
code to break. Outlook programming did change with the newer versions and
it's well worth upgrading to the newer versions if you are doing any
programming in outlook.

If I recall, office 97 was the first to use VBA, but old macros from
previous versions of word and excel worked. In most cases, code written in
office 97 will work in current versions but a few things will not work or
will not properly convert the old macros to vba.

Microsoft does allow software to be sold on eBay, provided it meets certain
conditions. I sold my office 97 disks there - like 5 yrs ago. It's more
likely that no one is listing it because it's unlikely anyone would want to
buy it.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

if you can find a pirated copy of office 97, it will install and run on
current versions of Windows - finding it is hard, not because of something
MS has done, but because pirates don't waste their time or disk space
providing such an old application that those who are willing to steal
software would want.

I would not want to run office 97 on Vista only because it's so slow,
crappy, and unstable. Office 2003 is so much better, faster, and more
stable.

Patrick Schmid

There is no ten year old Gnu/Linux code that I know
of that I cannot get the source code for. Today,
it is impossible to install Office 97 on a computer
without a disk that one can no longer purchase.
*shrugs* I can get a copy of any Office since 6.0 without a problem. I
can tell you exactly where I have that disk...

Patrick Schmid

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Would you believe that they still "sell" Office 95 on eBay, and for
considerable funds?

There must be so much fun parting a fool from his money.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Diane Poremsky [MVP] asked:

| Um... outlook 97 was the first version of outlook, so there was no
| earlier code to break. Outlook programming did change with the newer
| versions and it's well worth upgrading to the newer versions if you
| are doing any programming in outlook.
|
| If I recall, office 97 was the first to use VBA, but old macros from
| previous versions of word and excel worked. In most cases, code
| written in office 97 will work in current versions but a few things
| will not work or will not properly convert the old macros to vba.
|
| Microsoft does allow software to be sold on eBay, provided it meets
| certain conditions. I sold my office 97 disks there - like 5 yrs ago.
| It's more likely that no one is listing it because it's unlikely
| anyone would want to buy it.
|

| || I dont think Microsoft allows Office 97 to be sold
|| on Ebay, and the reason that one would want to
|| purchase Office 97 is so they can run the visual
|| basic code written in it. I dont know if it is still
|| an issue but I know that Office 97 broke earlier
|| visual basic code.
||| (I can think of a multitude of real reasons for upgrading to them)
||| then try eBay if
||| you didn't take care not to lose your disks - or ask a friend for
||| his disks.
||| You could look on file shares but pirates rarely bother with the old
||| crap -
||| they want the new stuff that is worth having.
||| --
||| Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
||| Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
||| Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
||| Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
||| Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
||| Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
||| (e-mail address removed)

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook 2000 was the first Outlook version to have an integrated VBA environment, FWIW.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Ben M. Schorr - MVP

Aloha Tom,

Just say you haven't looked and leave it at that. Go to eBay, buy your CD
(you can get it for $30 or $40 probably) and this time be sure to keep track
of it.

As for the code, I've written code for versions of Office for the last 10
years and I have code written for Office 2007 too.

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr - MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

Ben M. Schorr - MVP

Aloha Tom,

You can purchase it - I spent 15 seconds searching and found dozens of places
selling it. I don't know if Office 97 will run on Windows XP or not, I assume
it will, but none of my clients who run an OS newer than Windows 98 are still
using Office 97 so I can't say for sure.

At the end of the day Microsoft can sell whatever products they want and
you can buy whatever products you want. If you're so excited about Linux
then fire it up and load OpenOffice and have a great time. I've got a couple
of Linux boxes and there's nothing wrong with OpenOffice if that's what you
want.

Furthermore there is no reason why Microsoft should be obligated to continue
to support long-since outdated versions of their software. As LanWench so
astutely pointed out if you call Ford or Chevy and ask for parts to a 60-year
old car you're likely to get told they don't make them anymore.

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr - MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

Tom

I happen to have a Debian box running in my office,
and I am convinced that within the next ten years
Microsoft office will be history. OpenOffice is not
quite there yet, but certainly not because of outlook
where I believe Linux is already far superior.

The question is why you are supporting Microsoft
with your time and money?

And further a car and Microsoft office are two different things entirely. Microsoft is not supporting
Office 97 to force users to pony up more dollars,
no more and no less. This makes it more imperative
for people to support open source to get off of this
hamster wheel.

And I am watching a show right now on the history
channel where people are restoring old cars, and
certainly the problems here have nothing to do with
floppies and disks.

Patrick Schmid

Everyone has their convictions. I prefer to use the Office suite that is
"there" already instead of waiting 5 years or even longer till
OpenOffice has played enough catch-up (if it ever will).
Why are you supporting Sun therefore with your time and maybe money?
OpenOffice might be open source code, but it is still controlled by a
big corporation.

Patrick Schmid

Ben M. Schorr - MVP

Aloha Tom,
I happen to have a Debian box running in my office,

And yet you waste your time with Office 97? Interesting.
and I am convinced
that within the next ten years Microsoft office will be history.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course.
OpenOffice is not quite there yet, but certainly not because of
outlook where I believe Linux is already far superior.

See above.
The question is why you are supporting Microsoft
with your time and money?

Because it gets the job done and it's what our clients rely upon. It's a
tool, nothing more. I haven't the time or the patience for these juvenile
religious wars over software. I use the tool that gets the job done; sometimes
that's Windows/Office, sometimes that's Linux, sometimes it's a Mac.
And further a car and Microsoft office are two different things
entirely.

Then you clearly don't understand the analogy.
Microsoft is not supporting Office 97 to force users to pony up more dollars,
no more and no less.

You're entitled to your opinion. There's obviously little point in discussing
it with you.
This makes it more imperative for people to support open source to get off of this
hamster wheel.

And now the true reason for your posting in this forum becomes obvious to
all.
And I am watching a show right now on the history channel where people
are restoring old cars, and certainly the problems here have nothing
to do with floppies and disks.

See above.

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr - MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

Osiris

After spending the last aggravating hour looking for
my windows reinstallation disk, I began wondering
if the billions that Gates is giving to charity is enough
to keep him from burning in hell.

Why is it that people are spending billions on
Microsoft and Office when Office 97 is no longer
even supported? Are people just stupid or is
Microsoft just evil? Why isnt Office 97 no longer
supported?

can't you stick to it then ? win98 etc ? Do you really need to upgrade
? or is the latest system just too sexy for you ?
If yo only want to use Office things, W98/Office 97 would do, I
gather.
At the moment I happen to be relying on Office 97,
and it is not in the least bit comforting that Microsoft
no longer supports it.

I also know that Linux is the alternative to Microsoft
that would save people mountains of aggravation,

No computer system, hardware or software, will ever save mankind any
amount of aggravation.
Using computers for mundain home-tasks is mainly just a replacement of
aggravation, rather than lessening aggravation.
Nobody ever tells this, but a simple homecomputer is many times more
complex that washing machine, tv, radio, car, mowing machine, kitchen
mixer added together. So has the potential of many times their
aggravation.
but since collectively people are morons or Microsoft
is incredibly evil, the vast majority of people are using
Microsoft.

Third possibility: MS is or has been incredibly market-smart.
If Linux was the standard, people would
no longer have to worry that Office 97 was no longer
supported.

indeed. worries would be very DIFFERENT.
Do people enjoy having ulcers, Are people stupid?
And for how long will Bill Gates burn in hell?
there is no hell. We just return to dust.

Osiris

I will defer to the experts in the group, but I feel that old products
are no longer supported because of the concept of planned obsolescence.
(see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/sbeder/columns/engcol8.html and a
commentary at
http://forevergeek.com/apple/snl_parodies_ipods_planned_obsolescence.php)
I can understand the situation from Microsoft's point of view (keep
revenue flowing in order to fund new development, keep stockholders
happy) and the viewpoint of consumers (paid a lot of money for
software/hardware, only to have a "new and improved version" come out a
short time later).

Consumers drive the market.

together with producers ?