How "large" can a IIf be in a query?

G

Hi

I would like to ad the below to a query but I receive a errormessage about
it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

IIf([SlagavgiftPåKöpare]And[Slagavgift1]And[Slagavgift2]And[Slagavgift3]And[Slagavgift4];IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel1]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel1];[Spec%1]>0;[Spec%1];[SpecBel1]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel2]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel2];[Spec%2]>0;[Spec%2];[SpecBel2]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel3]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel3];[Spec%3]>0;[Spec%3];[SpecBel3]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel4]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel4];[Spec%4]>0;[Spec%4];[SpecBel4]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel5]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel5];[Spec%5]>0;[Spec%5];[SpecBel5]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel6]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel6];[Spec%6]>0;[Spec%6];[SpecBel6]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>FromBel7]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel7];[Spec%7]>0;[Spec%7];[SpecBel7]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel8]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel8];[Spec%8]>0;[Spec%8];[SpecBel8]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel9]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel9];[Spec%9]>0;[Spec%9];[SpecBel9]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel10]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel10];[Spec%10]>0;[Spec%10];[SpecBel10]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel11];[Spec%11]>0;[Spec%11];[SpecBel11]);0)

G

My guess is that you're not running into a limit on the iif() function, as
much as a limit on the expression length in a query. According to Access
Specifications, a calculated expression cannot exceed 1024 chars. You may
want to look at ways to break up the expression into multiple expressions,
with one last one that chooses the appropriate result. Or, you may want to
look up help on the switch() and choose() functions to see if either of those
could be used to shorten the expression.

Lastly, if you have any VBA experience you may want to consider creating a
custom function.

HTH, Ted Allen

Mattias said:
Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias
IIf([SlagavgiftPåKöpare]And[Slagavgift1]And[Slagavgift2]And[Slagavgift3]And[Slagavgift4];IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel1]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel1];[Spec%1]>0;[Spec%1];[SpecBel1]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel2]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel2];[Spec%2]>0;[Spec%2];[SpecBel2]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel3]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel3];[Spec%3]>0;[Spec%3];[SpecBel3]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel4]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel4];[Spec%4]>0;[Spec%4];[SpecBel4]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel5]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel5];[Spec%5]>0;[Spec%5];[SpecBel5]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel6]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel6];[Spec%6]>0;[Spec%6];[SpecBel6]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>FromBel7]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel7];[Spec%7]>0;[Spec%7];[SpecBel7]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel8]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel8];[Spec%8]>0;[Spec%8];[SpecBel8]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel9]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel9];[Spec%9]>0;[Spec%9];[SpecBel9]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel10]And[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel10];[Spec%10]>0;[Spec%10];[SpecBel10]);IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel11];[Spec%11]>0;[Spec%11];[SpecBel11]);0)

G

I think that even if you pare it down (by switching to shorter field names,
for instance) you could run into some problems. If you think of the IIf
function as If,Then,Else and if you are nesting IIf statements then the
nested IIf goes in the Else part of the function: IIf(First condition is
true, Perform Task 1, IIf(Second condition is true, Perform Task 2, Perform
Task 3)). Also, every IIf needs a closing parentheses.
Having said that, I agree that a custom VBA function, or maybe something
like a query with a series of calculated fields, could probably do a better
job for you. You could have a real mess on your hands if you needed to add a
couple of conditions.

Mattias said:
Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

D

Duane Hookom

This is typical of the issues you face with un-normalized data. I would
suggest you normalize your table structures. You should be able to store
data in tables and get rid of most the IIf()s. I expect there is some logic
to all the IIf()s that can be modeled into data.

G

Hi

Thank you for your suggestions. I have shortened it down to 3 .
But now I have problems to make my IIf to work ok.
It looks like below now

Mattias

BeräknadSlagavgift2a:IIf([SlagavgiftPåKöpare] And [Slagavgift1] And
[Slagavgift2] And [Slagavgift3] And
[Slagavgift4];IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel1] And
[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel1];IIf([Spec%1]>0;[Spec%1]*[KlubbatBeloppSEK]);[SpecBel1];IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel2]
And
[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel2];IIf([Spec%2]>0;[Spec%2]*[KlubbatBeloppSEK]);[SpecBel2];IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel3]
And
[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel3];IIf([Spec%3]>0;[Spec%3]*[KlubbatBeloppSEK]);[SpecBel3];IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel4]
And
[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel4];IIf([Spec%4]>0;[Spec%4]*[KlubbatBeloppSEK]);[SpecBel4]))));0)

Mattias said:
Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

G

"IIf([SlagavgiftPåKöpare] And [Slagavgift1] And [Slagavgift2] And
[Slagavgift3] And [Slagavgift4]"
For starters, what are you trying to do with this part of the statement?
The IIf function is for evaluating a statement, returning one result if it is
true, and another if it is false. The quoted part above is a list. There is
nothing to evaluate. The statement can be neither true nor false.

Mattias said:
Hi

It looks like below now

Mattias

[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel1];IIf([Spec%1]>0;[Spec%1]*[KlubbatBeloppSEK]);[SpecBel1];IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel2]
And
[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel2];IIf([Spec%2]>0;[Spec%2]*[KlubbatBeloppSEK]);[SpecBel2];IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel3]
And
[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel3];IIf([Spec%3]>0;[Spec%3]*[KlubbatBeloppSEK]);[SpecBel3];IIf([KlubbatBeloppSEK]>[FromBel4]
And
[KlubbatBeloppSEK]<[TomBel4];IIf([Spec%4]>0;[Spec%4]*[KlubbatBeloppSEK]);[SpecBel4]))));0)

Mattias said:
Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

G

Hi Bruce,

The first part is yes/no fields all 4 and I want all to be true (yes) else
the result of the IIf should be 0.

Mattias

BruceM said:

Mattias said:
Hi

It looks like below now

Mattias

And
And
And

Mattias said:
Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

G

What happens if they are all true (yes)? I will say that the result will be
IIf([SlagavgiftPåKöpare] = Yes And [Slagavgift1] = Yes And [Slagavgift2] =
yes And [Slagavgift3] = Yes And [Slagavgift4] = Yes,100,0)

Assuming this code is in a text box on a form, if all five fields are Yes
(True) then the text box will show 100, otherwise it will show 0. Another
IIf statement (if you want nested IIf statement) would go in place of the 0:
....Yes,100,IIf(...
You could also substitute Or for And, and No for Yes. That will change it
so that if any of the fields are No, the text box will show 0, otherwise you
can do something else:
IIf([SlagavgiftPåKöpare] = No Or [Slagavgift1] = No Or [Slagavgift2] = No Or
[Slagavgift3] = No Or [Slagavgift4] = No,0,IIf(Field1] > [Field2],50,100))
In this example, if any of the fields is No you will see 0 in the text box,
otherwise you will check to seek if Field1 is greater than Field2. If it is,
you will see 50 in the text box; otherwise you will see 0. If the first five
fields are Yes AND Field1 is NOT greater than Field 2 you will see 100 in the
text box.

Mattias said:
Hi Bruce,

Mattias

BruceM said:

Mattias said:
Hi

It looks like below now

Mattias

And
And
And

:

Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

G

Hi Bruce

Thank you for getting back on this issue..I have renamed the below so you
can understand the purpuse of the IIf.

If I try to save it like this in the query design I receive error message
"You have the wrong number of arguments"

If at least one of the below 5 first conditions are No I want the whole
thing to be 0!
If they all are yes, I want to go on to the next IIf. For exampel the
Price=100 and the FromAmount1=1 and ToAmount1=25
The price is bigger than 1 but is not smaller than 25, then I want it to go
to the next IIf where FromAmount2=26 and ToAmount2=101, here the Price=100
finds its match check if the Spec%2>0 if this then the
CalculatedFee2a=Price*Spec%2, but if the Spec%2 is not >0 then the
CalculatedFee2a=the value given in FeeAmount2.

CalculatedFee2a:IIf([SlagavgiftPåKöpare] And [Slagavgift1] And [Slagavgift2]
And [Slagavgift3] And [Slagavgift4]=yes;
IIf([Price]>[FromAmount1] And
[Price]<[ToAmount1];IIf([Spec%1]>0;[Price]*[Spec%1]);[FeeAmount1];
IIf([Price]>[FromAmount2] And
[Price]<[ToAmount2];IIf([Spec%2]>0;[Price]*[Spec%2]);[FeeAmount2];
IIf([Price]>[FromAmount3] And
[Price]<[ToAmount3];IIf([Spec%3]>0;[Price]*[Spec%3]);[FeeAmount3];
IIf([Price]>[FromAmount4] And
[Price]<[ToAmount4];IIf([Spec%4]>0;[Price]*[Spec%4]);[FeeAmount4]))));0)

Really thankful for any help on this

Mattias
BruceM said:

...Yes,100,IIf(...
can do something else:
text box.

Mattias said:
Hi Bruce,

Mattias

BruceM said:

:

Hi

It looks like below now

Mattias

And
And
And

:

Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

G

Hi Mattias,

I didn't go through all of the last statement that you posted in detail, but
for sure the last iif() function has an error with the parenthesis. The
following:

IIf([Spec%4]>0;[Price]*[Spec%4]);[FeeAmount4])

would look to Access to be missing the false part of the expression because
it has a close ) after the true part.

In general, it appears that your database may not be normalized, which is in
turn making your task much harder than it has to be.

You may want to look at whether you can normalize the database such that you
have a related table with just a few fields such as:

FKtoMain, FromAmount, ToAmount, SpecPerc, FeeAmount

(Actually, you could even omit ToAmount if you always wanted to assume that
the range would go to the next highest FromAmount if that is the case). In
the list above, FKtoMain would store a Foreign Key to the primary key in the
main table.

Then, you would just enter as many records as necessary to define an
unlimited number of price ranges and associated discounts or fees for each
item.

Storing the data in a more normalized fashion like this makes calculations
much more simple, because you can easily use DLookup() or a correlated
subquery to find applicable values.

For instance, determining the applicable SpecPerc for the item would use a
DLookup() such as:

SpecPerc: DLookup("[SpecPerc]","YourTableName","FKtoMain = " & [YourPKField]
& " AND [FromAmount] < " & [Price] & " AND [ToAmount] > " & [Price])

Similarly, the FeeAmount would be:

FeeAmount: DLookup("[FeeAmount]","YourTableName","FKtoMain = " &
[YourPKField] & " AND [FromAmount] < " & [Price] & " AND [ToAmount] > " &
[Price])

(By the way, if you took the approach of eliminating the [ToAmount] field,
you would adjust the [FromAmount] criteria such that it would be = to the Max
FromAmount < [Price] - which you would use a DMax() for)

Then, all you would have to do would be to check to see if SpecPerc is > 0,
and use the appropriate expression.

You could also use correlated subqueries to return the results above. I
prefer to use them rather than DLookup() and the other Domain Aggregate
functions, but sometimes the domain aggregate functions are easier to
understand at first, which is why I used that method as an example.

It would be easy to create the entries in the normalized table by just using
a series of append queries to append all of the fields with the suffix 1 to
the appropriate fields, then all fields with the suffix 2, etc from the main
table.

Short of normalizing the data, you may also want to consider creating custom
functions to do these calcs for you. A short bit of visual basic code in a
custom function could do the calc for you, which you could then call from any
query, form or report just by using the custom function name and providing
the necessary input parameters. The huge advantage of a custom function is
that you only write the code in one place, so if it needs to be tweaked later
on you can just change the function in one place, rather than having to go
back and revise multiple confusing nested iif()'s.

Hopefully this will help somewhat. If you would like any more info on a
specific approach, or if I misinterpreted portions of your earlier posts, let
me know and I can help further.

-Ted Allen

Mattias said:
Hi Bruce

thing to be 0!

Mattias
BruceM said:

...Yes,100,IIf(...
can do something else:
text box.

Mattias said:
Hi Bruce,

Mattias

:

:

Hi

It looks like below now

Mattias

And
And
And

:

Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

G

P.s.,

I forgot to mention that if you do stick with the method that you are using,
you may be able to shorten your statement significantly by using the switch()
function.

Switch is kind of similar to a multipart iif(). It consist of a series of
expressions, and associated values. Switch will return the value
corresponding to the first expression that evaluates to true. Of course, the
value part of the expression can be a calculation, including nested functions
such as iif().

In the simplest case, if your from values and to values are adjacent, you
could just check the From amounts in descending order to find the first that
is less than price, such as:

Switch([Price]>[FromAmount11],iif([spec%11]>0,[Price]*[spec%11],[feeAmount11]),[Price]>[FromAmount10],iif([spec%10]>0,[Price]*[spec%10],[feeAmount10]),etc)

of course, that would have to be nested within your original iif() function
checking the four or five criteria that you want to be true. Also, if it is
not true that each range is adjacent, you would have to check the [ToAmount]
as well.

One other note regarding iif() and switch() functions, Access evaluates all
of the calculations in all of the expressions and value calculations, even if
the logic never gets to them. For example, looking at the switch function
above, you would think that if [Price]>[FromAmount11], Access would evaluate
the corresponding iif() function and that would be the end of it. But,
actually, Access would evaluate all of the expressions, and all of the
values, listed in the entire statement. Further, if any of those generated
an error, the expression would generate an error.

HTH, Ted Allen

Ted Allen said:
Hi Mattias,

following:

main table.

item.

DLookup() such as:

[Price])

table.

-Ted Allen

Mattias said:
Hi Bruce

thing to be 0!

Mattias
BruceM said:

...Yes,100,IIf(...
can do something else:
text box.

:

Hi Bruce,

Mattias

:

:

Hi

It looks like below now

Mattias

And
And
And

:

Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

G

Hi

Just want to say thank you for all your good advice and help!!

Mattias

Ted Allen said:
P.s.,

function.

such as iif().

Switch([Price]>[FromAmount11],iif([spec%11]>0,[Price]*[spec%11],[feeAmount11]),[Price]>[FromAmount10],iif([spec%10]>0,[Price]*[spec%10],[feeAmount10]),etc)

as well.

HTH, Ted Allen

Ted Allen said:
Hi Mattias,

following:

main table.

item.

DLookup() such as:

[Price])

table.

-Ted Allen

Mattias said:
Hi Bruce

thing to be 0!

Mattias
:

...Yes,100,IIf(...
can do something else:
text box.

:

Hi Bruce,

Mattias

:

:

Hi

It looks like below now

Mattias

And
And
And

:

Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

G

My pleasure, thanks.

-Ted

Mattias said:
Hi

Just want to say thank you for all your good advice and help!!

Mattias

Ted Allen said:
P.s.,

function.

such as iif().

as well.

HTH, Ted Allen

Ted Allen said:
Hi Mattias,

following:

main table.

item.

DLookup() such as:

[Price])

table.

-Ted Allen

:

Hi Bruce

thing to be 0!

Mattias
:

...Yes,100,IIf(...
can do something else:
text box.

:

Hi Bruce,

Mattias

:

:

Hi

It looks like below now

Mattias

And
And
And

:

Hi

it being to large!!

Thank you in advance

Mattias

Ask a Question