how does Search for files and folders

G

I have a wokstation where the search for files and folders is not working through the start menu or the keyboard shortcut. Does anyone know where the executable for this feature is located? I have been working on this issue for several weeks and have looked at several KB articles (274696 and 258549 to name two). I'm hoping to find the executable or dll controlling this feature and copy a file from another workstation to correct this. All of the the other search features are working (internet, people, etc) and files and folders can be searched from windows explorer or the my computer icon

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know

Thanks
Dino

T

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Dino said:
I have a wokstation where the search for files and folders is not working through the start menu or the keyboard shortcut. Does anyone know where the executable for this feature is located? I have been working on this issue for several weeks and have looked at several KB articles (274696 and 258549 to name two). I'm hoping to find the executable or dll controlling this feature and copy a file from another workstation to correct this. All of the the other search features are working (internet, people, etc) and files and folders can be searched from windows explorer or the my computer icon.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Hi

More a workaround than a solution for your problem, but you might want
to take a look at the free search utility Agent Ransack instead, I use
it instead of the builtin search (especially on WinXP, where Microsoft
has almost destroyed the builtin search if you ask me).

Download it from here:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

Ask a Question