    file was located but it wont let me open it. Ive tried any opening methods
    they suggested and I still cant open it separately, get word to open it, or
    get the document recovery task pane to open again. Please help...

    Guest, Feb 19, 2006

    Hi Tony,

    You can simulate a Word crash which will result in showing the Document
    Recovery Task Pane the next time you start Word:

    Start Word.
    Open any dialog (choose for example File | Open...).
    Type Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    Choose Task Manager.
    Choose (Document1 - )Microsoft Word and kill it. Windows and/or Word may
    protest by means of further messages, but be merciless. End it.

    Start Word again, and there is your Document Recovery Task Pane. It may be
    wise to create a backup of the .asd file first, just in case. Better safe
    than sorry, says the cliché.

    Success,
    Cooz
    --
    PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
    the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

    Guest, Feb 20, 2006

    wizzy2010

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Bring up document recovery pane in word 2007

    Hi

    You can't bring up the window automatically. However if you go to:

    "word options" on the "Office Button"
    and click the
    "save" button

    You will see the directory where your temp files are stored. If you look at the files with the ".asd" extension, these will be your autorecoved documents.

    Hope this helps!

    Cheers

    Andrew

    wizzy2010, Apr 15, 2010

    Jaime A. Custodio

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Excellent. :bow: It worked for me. Thanks!!!

    Jaime A. Custodio, Jun 26, 2011

    Arjunrj405

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks dear; your sugession really helped

    Arjunrj405, Jul 11, 2011

    paul_thomas

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    wizzy2010: +1

    paul_thomas, Mar 23, 2012

    evo_luver

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Having discovered an easier way to resolve this I have registered on this site just to post it in the hope it helps others in the future.

    Go to the folder that contains the file you over-wrote, right click on it and then select "Restore previous versions". You will then be presented with a window that shows all the previously saved versions of that file and can select any one of them to recover.

    This works for all file formats in MS Office and there is no need to force an Office application to crash to do this

    Hope this helps :thumb:.

    evo_luver, Jan 21, 2014