    Note this is a large document that I use a Macro to format from a file
    delivered from a mainframe computer and so the solution should be able to be
    automated too.

    Guest, May 31, 2005

    Pat Garard Guest

    G'Day Nifty,

    If you are formatting lines of data, then I reason that they are inserted
    into the document as Paragraphs.

    Get your original Macro to count lines, for Odd lines apply shading to
    Paragraph, for Even lines skip.

    The following simple Macro will apply 15% gray shading to the current
    Paragraph (it doesn't even have to be selected)......

    Sub Shade()
    '
    '
    With Selection.ParagraphFormat
    With .Shading
    .Texture = wdTextureNone
    .ForegroundPatternColor = wdColorAutomatic
    .BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorGray15
    End With
    End With
    End Sub