    how to turn off banner ads within Outlook?

    Thank you.

    Tim Boyer

    Tim Boyer, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Sounds like you installed spyware like Hotbar - look in add/remove programs
    and see what is installed - google for the names of unfamiliar programs and
    uninstall any that are spyware.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com
    Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Sep 28, 2003

  3. "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > Sounds like you installed spyware like Hotbar - look in add/
    > remove programs and see what is installed - google for the
    > names of unfamiliar programs and uninstall any that are spyware.

    Good grief, Diane. I can't believe the stories I'm reading in these
    newsgroup. I'm a relatively new Windows user (very long time Mac user, and
    other computers before that) and what I read here is enough to scare the
    heck out of me. The last thing in the world I want is for porno ads to start
    showing up in my outgoing email messages. In other messages, I read about
    virus problems. My computer is only two months old and I've already had one
    virus on that computer (thankfully, a very minor one). This is a nightmare.
    I'm glad to see Microsoft is doing something to address this problem, but
    clearly much more has to be done. What is Microsoft doing to make it easier
    to go after the people who write and spread virus programs? Perhaps the
    problem is with the internet itself, but surely Microsoft can do something
    to push the internet towards a safer environment. I don't honestly expect
    you to have the answers to all this - I'm just letting off some steam.

    Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

    http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

    Dwight Stewart, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Hotbar is an addin that many users install so they can add smilies to their
    email... it has nothing to do with porn. It's an annoyance... not a true
    virus (although many people consider it a virus).

    The problem is the internet and the users- When people drive through a seedy
    unfamiliar neighborhood they think nothing of locking the car doors and
    rolling up the windows a little more, just to be safe... the internet should
    be treated the same way - with firewalls and AV software.

    MS really can't do anything about virus writers - no more than Apple would
    go after then. (If apple has 98% of the market you can bet it would be a
    target of viruses - as it stands, too few people use Macs to interest most
    virus writers.) It's up to law enforcement to go after the virus writers -
    and users need to take responsibility to protect themselves by using
    firewalls and AV software and keeping them updated.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Sep 28, 2003
  5. Tsk, tsk Diane. That tired old horse "if xxxxx had 95% of the market, blah,
    blah, blah" again.

    Face it, any other OS could have the lion's share of the market (say, like
    Apache for web servers does) and would not get the viruses, worms, etc.
    written for it.

    It is precisely *because* it is a Microsoft product that it is attacked,
    moreso for the fervent Microsoft haters than for the ease with which
    Windows, SQL, IIS, etc are regularly hacked, attacked and wormed to death.

    If Apple wrote Windows, it would be a lesser target. Simply attach the name
    Microsoft to any product, program, or protocol and you have an instant
    audience of drooling, slack-jawed, imbecilic, ne'er-do-wells just waiting to
    pounce.

    Just my opinion.

    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    Diane Poremsky [MVP] <> asked:

    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook], Sep 28, 2003
  6. "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <> wrote:

    > (snip) The problem is the internet and the users- When people
    > drive through a seedy unfamiliar neighborhood they think nothing
    > of locking the car doors and rolling up the windows a little more,
    > just to be safe... the internet should be treated the same way -
    > with firewalls and AV software.

    The "seedy neighborhood" visited was Microsoft's and Symantec's web sites.
    Somewhere in the process of looking for updates, and downloading those
    updates, Blaster found it's way onto my computer. It was the very first day
    on the internet with the new computer. I had AV software installed (which
    told me about Blaster after it was on my computer) and I hadn't even thought
    of a firewall (heard about it, but not a big concern for Mac users).

    > MS really can't do anything about virus writers - no more than
    > Apple would go after then. (If apple has 98% of the market
    > you can bet it would be a target of viruses - as it stands, too
    > few people use Macs to interest most virus writers.) It's up to
    > law enforcement to go after the virus writers - and users need
    > to take responsibility to protect themselves by using firewalls
    > and AV software and keeping them updated.

    You're probably right. But I would be trying to figure out something if I
    were Microsoft. Perhaps a lawsuit against some of these people. Regardless,
    I don't entirely agree with passing the buck on to the users. Like me, most
    new users don't know enough to even think about anti-virus software,
    firewalls, and so on. When it comes to OS software, Microsoft is supposed to
    be the expert, not the users. The users are simply buying a product to get
    something done and usually expect products to work without much extra effort
    on their part. If AV software and firewalls are needed, there should at
    least be a strong warning to that effect.

    Well, I didn't intend to start a huge discussion on this, so you want to
    drop this, that's certainly fine by me.

    Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

    http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

    Dwight Stewart, Sep 30, 2003
  7. "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <> wrote:

    > If Apple wrote Windows, it would be a lesser target. Simply
    > attach the name Microsoft to any product, program, or
    > protocol and you have an instant audience of drooling, slack-
    > jawed, imbecilic, ne'er-do-wells just waiting to pounce.

    I don't know about that, Milly. If Apple had the same market share, most
    would have the same opinions of them as they now have for Microsoft. As
    such, Apple would be a similar target. And it is probably true that some are
    just looking for the largest target, making Microsoft a more appealing
    target. Finally, some are not targeting Microsoft at all - they're after the
    users (and after the largest group of users possible).

    Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

    http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

    Dwight Stewart, Sep 30, 2003