    But I need my old email files. I did back all data files and copy them back
    onto the drive, but do not know where to look for old email messages - there
    are thousands of important ones. Can you help?

    Grumblypeg, Oct 10, 2008

  2. Grumblypeg

    Doug D Guest

    In Windows (2000, XP and Vista) there are hidden folders that hold the
    Outlook data. In Vista the folder would be c:\Users\(User
    name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook . That's where your Outlook.pst file
    would have been stored. Chances are that you did not back up the entire
    folder from the C:\ drive but just the "visible" folders that are represented
    in the (User Name) folder on the desktop, in which case you have lost your
    emails.

    If you in fact backed up the entire c:\Users\(User name) folder from the
    hard drive, then your mail is there, just hidden.

    Doug D, Oct 10, 2008

  3. http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    After furious head scratching, Grumblypeg asked:

    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook], Oct 10, 2008
  4. Grumblypeg

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Grumblypeg

    If you made a back copy of your pst files and put that back on your Hard Drive in a different location and then you had formatted the drive as per you posting.

    Afaik they are gone. You needed to have those back ups on an outside media like a CD not on the Hard Drive

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Oct 11, 2008
  5. "Grumblypeg" <> wrote in message

    > My computer crashed for no known reason. Blue screen of death. After lots
    > of
    > trouble shooting, took it into a computer shop and they tried everything
    > and
    > in the end the only solution was to do the disk recovery which wipes the
    > harddrive, and reinstall Vista and all other Office software.

    If the disk drive was "wiped", as you say, then NOTHING you had on that disk
    is available any longer.

    > But I need my old email files. I did back all data files and copy them
    > back
    > onto the drive, but do not know where to look for old email messages -
    > there
    > are thousands of important ones. Can you help?

    How did you back them up and how did you you restore them? What did you
    back up before wiping the drive? The most likely place for your mail files
    was %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook. If you didn't save the files there,
    chances are excellent you've lost them permanently.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook], Oct 13, 2008