how do I place postal barcode on envelopes / labels in Word 2007

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Walter C. Daniels, Feb 15, 2008.

  1. I cannot find the option in printing envelopes in Word 2007. This was
    available in Office XP and Word 2000. Why not in Word 2007?

    Walter C. Daniels, Feb 15, 2008

  2. Walter C. Daniels

    Jay Freedman Guest

    Walter C. Daniels wrote:
    > I cannot find the option in printing envelopes in Word 2007. This was
    > available in Office XP and Word 2000. Why not in Word 2007?

    Why? Because of this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290 "The POSTNET
    bar code that Word generates no longer qualifies for USPS bulk mailing
    discounts".

    It's still possible to insert a PostNet barcode, it's just not integrated
    with the Envelopes dialog any more. You can use the Insert > Quick Parts >
    Field dialog to insert a Barcode field. There are two ways to set up the
    field:

    - If you insert a bookmark that includes the zip code (and possibly the
    whole address), you can select the bookmark in the dialog and Word will
    create the proper field.

    - If you don't want to bother with a bookmark, click the Field Codes button
    in the dialog and insert the \u switch and the zip code, like

    BARCODE \u 12345

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman