How do I insert a square root sign?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Apr 17, 2006.

    Guest, Apr 17, 2006

    Chuck Davis Guest

    GR,

    What version of Word? Word 2003 Help (yeah that's a 4-lettter word) returned
    this:
    1.. Click where you want to insert the equation.
    2.. On the Insert menu, click Object, and then click the Create New tab.
    3.. In the Object type box, click Microsoft Equation 3.0.
    If Microsoft Equation Editor is not available, you may need to install it.

    How?

    If you originally installed Microsoft Office from a network file server or
    from a shared folder, you must install Equation Editor from that location.
    If you installed Office from a CD-ROM, you must install Equation Editor from
    the disc.

    1.. Quit all programs.
    2.. Do one of the following:
    a.. If you run Microsoft Windows 2000, double-click the Add/Remove
    Programs icon in Control Panel.
    b.. If you run Microsoft Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs in
    Control Panel.
    3.. In the Currently installed programs box, click the listing for
    Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word, depending on whether you installed Word
    as part of Office or as an individual program, and then click Change.
    4.. On the Maintenance Mode Options screen, click Add or Remove
    Features, and then click Next.
    5.. If a Custom Setup screen appears, select the Choose advanced
    customization of applications check box, and then click Next.
    6.. In the list of features to install, click the expand indicator (+)
    next to Office Tools.
    7.. Click the arrow next to Equation Editor, and then click Run from My
    Computer.
    8.. Click Update.
    9.. Restart Word.
    4.. Click OK.
    5.. Build the equation by selecting symbols from the Equation toolbar
    (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands.
    To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.) and by typing variables
    and numbers. From the top row of the Equation toolbar, you can choose from
    more than 150 mathematical symbols. From the bottom row, you can choose from
    a variety of templates or frameworks that contain symbols such as fractions,
    integrals, and summations.
    If you need help, click Equation Editor Help Topics on the Help menu.

    6.. To return to Microsoft Word, click the Word document.
    Tip

    If you frequently work with equations, you may want to add the Equation
    Editor button to a toolbar so that you can insert equations quickly.
    1.. Right-click the toolbar where you want to add the button, click
    Customize, and then click the Commands tab.
    2.. In the Categories list, click Insert.
    3.. In the Commands list, click Equation Editor and drag to the toolbar.
    "GR" <> wrote in message

    Chuck Davis, Apr 17, 2006

    Thanks Chuck

    Guest, Apr 17, 2006
  4. If you just want to insert a square root sign, use glyph 221A in any Unicode
    font. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)