How do I insert a picture in an Access 2003 form and view it?

Apparently Photo Editor from Office XP worked well with Access. Now that we
have Access 2003 and Office 2003, pictures do not show up in Access forms.
All I see is a file name that can be clicked to open. How do I view the
actual picture in the form?

bob

Photo editor is not included in Office 2003, and installing Office 2003 as an upgrade will remove Photo
Editor if it is already installed. You can re-install Photo Editor from the CD’s of your previous Office
version.

Whether it ‘worked well’ is debatable. Configuration problems like this are common, and applications are
easily broken if a user simply installs new graphics software. With JPEG images Photo Editor can cause
a storage overhead typically between 20 and 200 *times* the original file size. The original compressed
data cannot be directly extracted, so getting a JPEG file out of the database usually involves additional
JPEG compression (quality) loss, and any Metadata (such as EXIF camera info) is also lost.

MS Office Online: What happened to Photo Editor?
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP011454871033.aspx

MS KB 817095: Photo Editor is removed when you install Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817095

A detailed analysis of OLE Embedding with images in Access (and alternatives) is available here:
http://www.ammara.com/articles/accesspictureole.html

Bob said:
Apparently Photo Editor from Office XP worked well with Access. Now that we
have Access 2003 and Office 2003, pictures do not show up in Access forms.
All I see is a file name that can be clicked to open. How do I view the
actual picture in the form?

Stephen Lebans

Here is a previous post of mine on this issue:

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access
From: "Stephen Lebans"
<[email protected]> - Find
messages by this author
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 20:00:27 -0300
Subject: Re: .tif Images in Access 2003
Report Abuse

The Tiff Office Graphics filters(among others) are not installed with
Access 2003. This is a change from all previous versions of Access.
The solution is to get hold of the Office XP Legacy Converter Pack (it
will work for Office 2003 as well). The problem is that you can no
longer download the XP Converter Pack due to security concerns.
http://www.microsoft.com/offic­e/ork/xp/appndx/appc00.htm
Instead you are directed to download the Office 2003 Legacy Converter
Pack but as I said it no longer contains the TIF Filters!!!!aarrgghh
The solution is to contact MS PSS and request the XP Pack.

A poster from Germany described the process to obtain the legacy
Graphics Filter pack from MS that does contain the TIFF filters.
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access
From: "tino" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 06:07:19 -0700
Report Abuse

Yes, of course, sorry that I did'nt yet :

1. Call the Microsoft Product Support Services
(Phone - No. for Germay : 0180 567 22 55, see Microsoft Sites)
2. Ask for the Hotfix for KB 822346
3. MS will send you a link for Download.

I did so, and there where no more questions for license keys or other,
the
KB - Number was the only necessary information.

-

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans