How do I freeze panes horizontally and vertically at same time

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by Guest, Aug 31, 2006.

    I would like to be able to freeze panes, such as headers, horizontally, as
    well as freezing panes in a column, such as listing of names.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2006

    when you freeze panes the rows above, and the columns left of the selected
    cell are frozen. So to freeze columns A-B and rows 1-3 select C4 and then
    select window->freeze panes.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2006

    Pete_UK Guest

    If you place the cursor in cell B2 then Window | Freeze Panes you will
    find the top row and column A will be "frozen" as you scroll around the
    sheet. Try it with C2 selected - this will fix A and B in place as well
    as the top row, i.e. all rows above and all columns to the left of the
    cell you select when doing Window | Freeze Panes will be frozen on
    screen.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

    Pete_UK, Aug 31, 2006
  4. "Pete_UK" wrote:

    > If you place the cursor in cell B2 then Window | Freeze Panes you will
    > find the top row and column A will be "frozen" as you scroll around the
    > sheet. Try it with C2 selected - this will fix A and B in place as well
    > as the top row, i.e. all rows above and all columns to the left of the
    > cell you select when doing Window | Freeze Panes will be frozen on
    > screen.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Pete
    >
    > BW wrote:
    > > I would like to be able to freeze panes, such as headers, horizontally, as
    > > well as freezing panes in a column, such as listing of names.

    This is not work on Excel 2007.
    Please help me.

    Leo Ibrahim Shb, Aug 27, 2008

    Mike Kaufman Guest

    "Leo Ibrahim Shb" wrote:

    > "Pete_UK" wrote:
    >
    > > If you place the cursor in cell B2 then Window | Freeze Panes you will
    > > find the top row and column A will be "frozen" as you scroll around the
    > > sheet. Try it with C2 selected - this will fix A and B in place as well
    > > as the top row, i.e. all rows above and all columns to the left of the
    > > cell you select when doing Window | Freeze Panes will be frozen on
    > > screen.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    > >
    > > Pete
    > >
    > > BW wrote:
    > > > I would like to be able to freeze panes, such as headers, horizontally, as
    > > > well as freezing panes in a column, such as listing of names.

    > This is not work on Excel 2007.
    > Please help me.

    1) Click on the Freeze Panes button and select "Unfreeze Panes".

    2) Click on the cell below and to the right of the row and column you want
    to freeze, cell B2 for example.

    3) Click on the Freeze Panes button and select "Freeze Panes".

    These options are toggle switches, and you cannot select Freeze Row and
    Freeze Column independently. Selecting one turns off the other. And if you
    have freezing set for any cell, you have to turn it off before you can freeze
    rows and columns at the same time.

    Mike Kaufman, Oct 1, 2008

    Dana Lewis Guest

    I don't have a Freeze Panes option under the button Freeze Panes. All I see
    is Unfreeze Panes, Freeze Top Row, and Freeze First Column.

    Dana

    Dana Lewis, Oct 27, 2008

    Mike Kaufman Guest

    Read my response again. You overlooked something rather important.

    Mike Kaufman, Oct 27, 2008

    Narusha Guest

    Mike is saying:

    1) Click on the Freeze Panes button and select "Unfreeze Panes".

    First you have to unfreeze your panes (they have been frozen when you tried
    to freeze them), and then you can continue with Mike's step 2 & 3

    Thanks Mike, you helped me a lot!

    Groeten, Narusha

    Narusha, Dec 17, 2008

    Darlene Guest

    this step is for 2003 not 2007

    the options in 2007 are difference from 2003...2003 will allow you to chose a
    column of cell...
    2007 only gives you 3 options:
    1-freeze top column
    2-freeze first column
    3-unfreeze

    does anyone know 2007 freeze frame, additional options for freezing the
    second column from the top?
    Darlene

    Darlene, Mar 24, 2009

    Jon Peltier Guest

    Re: this step is for 2003 not 2007

    On the View tab, find the Freeze Panes dropdown (in the Windows group). The
    first option, Freeze Panes, freezes the rows above the active cell and the
    columns to the left of the active cell.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
    http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
    _______

    Jon Peltier, Mar 27, 2009

    Lord_langford

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Select 1 cell then in the tab "view" tab menu select freeze panes example is b5 just click 1 cell and click the "freeze panes" not the "top row" not the "first colunm"

    Lord_langford, Jul 21, 2009

    JJ in LA Guest

    Re: this step is for 2003 not 2007

    Only the 3 options listed above have any effect. How do you make the Rows
    and Columns option work together? Clicking on Freeze Panes only opens up the
    three choices and nothing else

    JJ in LA, Aug 12, 2009
  13. Re: this step is for 2003 not 2007

    JJ in LA -

    In Excel 2007, on the View ribbon, if the worksheet does not have any frozen
    panes, the three Freeze Panes options are Freeze Panes (both rows and
    columns), Freeze Top Row, and Freeze First Column.

    If the worksheet does have a frozen pane or panes, the three Freeze Panes
    options are Unfreeze Panes, Freeze Top Row, and Freeze First Column.

    - Mike

    http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

    Mike Middleton, Aug 12, 2009

    Theresa Guest

    Thank you for the question & answer. I'm not very good at excel. This is
    helpful indeed.

    Theresa, Sep 9, 2009

    rrusson Guest

    "Sloth" wrote:

    > when you freeze panes the rows above, and the columns left of the selected
    > cell are frozen. So to freeze columns A-B and rows 1-3 select C4 and then
    > select window->freeze panes.

    Thanks. I struggled for a half-hour trying to freeze multiple columns and
    rows --and I'm a software developer! MS really screwed up on this feature,
    IMHO. You should be able to ctrl-click on multiple rows/columns and then
    freeze. That would be much more intuitive. A lot of things seemed easier
    before "The Ribbon."

    rrusson, Oct 16, 2009

    Bob I Guest

    rrusson wrote:
    > "Sloth" wrote:
    >

    >>when you freeze panes the rows above, and the columns left of the selected
    >>cell are frozen. So to freeze columns A-B and rows 1-3 select C4 and then
    >>select window->freeze panes.
    >>

    > Thanks. I struggled for a half-hour trying to freeze multiple columns and
    > rows --and I'm a software developer! MS really screwed up on this feature,
    > IMHO. You should be able to ctrl-click on multiple rows/columns and then
    > freeze. That would be much more intuitive. A lot of things seemed easier
    > before "The Ribbon."

    try this, press F1, enter the word FREEZE, press enter, click
    appropriate link.

    Bob I, Oct 16, 2009

    Gord Dibben Guest

    It was no different or more intuitive before "The Ribbon"

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Oct 16, 2009

    JMAYL

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I tried the suggestions given in the threads about placing the cursor in B2 or C2, but neither of them work. any other way of doing this?

    JMAYL, Feb 10, 2012

    JMAYL

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    RE FREEZING PANES - i figured it out myself - you have to press SPLIT first and then the "FREEZE PANES" choice comes up, so that you can both at once. It SPLIT farther over and farther down than i wanted it, but at least the top row and left column are in view.

    JMAYL, Feb 10, 2012