    howlettma Guest

    Having difficult keeping word from auto-adjusting my reference page.
    Anyoneknow how to format an APA style "hanging indent?"

    howlettma, Mar 22, 2009

  2. howlettma

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Assuming that you are using Word's built-in citation/bibliography feature,
    have you tried adding a hanging indent to the Bibliography style?

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Mar 27, 2009

  3. howlettma

    grammatim Guest

    To make a hanging indent for just one or a few paragraphs, put your
    cursor in it or select them, go up to the ruler, and drag the upward-
    pointing tiny triange near the left of the ruler toward the right.
    (Or, drag the slightly larger rectangular box below the upward-
    pointing triangle a bit to the right, and then drag the _downward_-
    pointing triange above it to the left, to pull the first lines out to
    where you want them to be.)

    But the better way to do it is to Modify your Bibliography style -- go
    to the Styles window (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S), right-click on the style name
    (Bibliography), choose Modify > Format > Paragraph, and the first of
    the things to the right is where you set a Hanging Indent -- the
    default is .5" but you can enter any value in the window. After you OK
    your way out, all the bibliography paragraphs will have the same
    indent.

    grammatim, Mar 27, 2009
  4. howlettma

    Yves Guest

    Note that the first option is not really a solution when using a
    bibliography field as the field tends to get updated frequently and
    automatically resulting in a loss of all manually applied formatting.

    The name of the style applied to the bibliography might not actually
    be "Bibliography". It will be a localized (translated to the language
    of your copy of Word) version of the word 'Bibliography'.

    Yves
    --
    http://bibliography.codeplex.com

    Yves, Mar 27, 2009
  5. howlettma

    Stefan Blom Guest

    >The name of the style applied to the bibliography might not actually be
    >"Bibliography". It will be a localized (translated to the language of your
    >copy of Word) version of the word 'Bibliography'.

    This is true for all built-in styles in Word.

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Mar 30, 2009