How do I escape the 34 minute loop? HELP!!!! PLEASE!

B

Becky

Try Pegasu' advice. See my same question a few posts up.
-----Original Message-----
This loop has been going on al night (literally). I've
searched this site for references to the 34 minute hang
loop, and I've read the referred Knowledge Base articles
about disconnecting USB stuff, sound cards, etc.
I just need to know How to escape the loop.

Removing the CD doesn't do it. Is there some way to
switch from an upgrade to a clean install while it's in
it's loop?

G

Hi Becky,

Thanks for your suggestion of help. Unfortunately, I just read your post here and there's dozens of posts since I posted mine. Since you didn't tell me the title of the post, I'd have to open every thread to find your name. I did a search on "Becky" here and got dozens of postings by "Becky" - must be a poplular name. And nothing comes up on "Pegasu'" so I don't know what help was offered.

Anyway, I ended up finding a mention of using Shift- F10 to interupt the loop. Once the loop is halted, you can select to start a new installation, then select quick format and stuff.

The problem with a clean install (on my machine) is that all of the drivers for this specific machine are in the msi or cab files in the system recovery disk, so they can't be installed separately. If they're not installed, then there's no sound. One part of XP says there's no hardware for sound, but another part says the hardware is there and there's no problem - NOT!

At least I was able to get the recovery disk to run after I did the clean install. Now I have sound but no Pro (which is better than Pro and no sound, maybe...).

--
rpw

Becky said:
Try Pegasu' advice. See my same question a few posts up.
-----Original Message-----
This loop has been going on al night (literally). I've
searched this site for references to the 34 minute hang
loop, and I've read the referred Knowledge Base articles
about disconnecting USB stuff, sound cards, etc.
I just need to know How to escape the loop.

Removing the CD doesn't do it. Is there some way to
switch from an upgrade to a clean install while it's in
it's loop?

Ask a Question