how do i create a table in excel 2003?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by biff, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. biff

    biff Guest

    I can do it in excel 2007.

    I have a tab delimited text file that I import into Excel 2003. The fields
    import correcly. Next I need to create a table for the data. If I go to the
    Data menu and then select table, I am presented With a "Row input cell" and
    "Column input cell". I have no idea what to input here. If I use Excel 2007
    the same steps then ask me "What is the data for your table" and I then
    select all the columns & rows with data. I tried selecting all the rows for
    the "Row input cell" and all the columns for "Column input cell" but I get an
    error that says "Input cell reference is not valid".

    The reason I want to create a table is for sorting purposes.
     
    biff, Jun 18, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. biff

    BoniM Guest

    From the Menu bar - Data, List, Create List
    They changed to calling it a table for '07...

    "biff" wrote:

    > I can do it in excel 2007.
    >
    > I have a tab delimited text file that I import into Excel 2003. The fields
    > import correcly. Next I need to create a table for the data. If I go to the
    > Data menu and then select table, I am presented With a "Row input cell" and
    > "Column input cell". I have no idea what to input here. If I use Excel 2007
    > the same steps then ask me "What is the data for your table" and I then
    > select all the columns & rows with data. I tried selecting all the rows for
    > the "Row input cell" and all the columns for "Column input cell" but I get an
    > error that says "Input cell reference is not valid".
    >
    > The reason I want to create a table is for sorting purposes.
     
    BoniM, Jun 18, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. biff

    biff Guest

    Thank you BoniM. That solved the issue and saved me some frustration.

    "BoniM" wrote:

    > From the Menu bar - Data, List, Create List
    > They changed to calling it a table for '07...
    >
    > "biff" wrote:
    >
    > > I can do it in excel 2007.
    > >
    > > I have a tab delimited text file that I import into Excel 2003. The fields
    > > import correcly. Next I need to create a table for the data. If I go to the
    > > Data menu and then select table, I am presented With a "Row input cell" and
    > > "Column input cell". I have no idea what to input here. If I use Excel 2007
    > > the same steps then ask me "What is the data for your table" and I then
    > > select all the columns & rows with data. I tried selecting all the rows for
    > > the "Row input cell" and all the columns for "Column input cell" but I get an
    > > error that says "Input cell reference is not valid".
    > >
    > > The reason I want to create a table is for sorting purposes.
     
    biff, Jun 18, 2008
    #3
  4. biff

    BoniM Guest

    Always good to fight frustration - you're welcome!
    Happy sorting...

    "biff" wrote:

    > Thank you BoniM. That solved the issue and saved me some frustration.
    >
    > "BoniM" wrote:
    >
    > > From the Menu bar - Data, List, Create List
    > > They changed to calling it a table for '07...
    > >
    > > "biff" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I can do it in excel 2007.
    > > >
    > > > I have a tab delimited text file that I import into Excel 2003. The fields
    > > > import correcly. Next I need to create a table for the data. If I go to the
    > > > Data menu and then select table, I am presented With a "Row input cell" and
    > > > "Column input cell". I have no idea what to input here. If I use Excel 2007
    > > > the same steps then ask me "What is the data for your table" and I then
    > > > select all the columns & rows with data. I tried selecting all the rows for
    > > > the "Row input cell" and all the columns for "Column input cell" but I get an
    > > > error that says "Input cell reference is not valid".
    > > >
    > > > The reason I want to create a table is for sorting purposes.
     
    BoniM, Jun 18, 2008
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Arthemus
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    231
    Tom Ogilvy
    Sep 29, 2003
  2. Guest

    Excel 2003: Lookup Table vs. Validation Table

    Guest, Aug 30, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Excel Misc
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    234
    Frank Kabel
    Aug 30, 2004
  3. Guest
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    777
    Debra Dalgleish
    Dec 15, 2006
  4. Guest

    How do I create a league table in excel 2003

    Guest, Oct 2, 2007, in forum: Microsoft Excel Misc
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    357
    David Biddulph
    Oct 2, 2007
  5. Dirk

    How do I create a timeline table in Excel 2003?

    Dirk, Oct 28, 2008, in forum: Microsoft Excel Misc
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    752
Loading...

Share This Page