how do i convert works to excel files,

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel New Users' started by Guest, Dec 16, 2004.

    Guest, Dec 16, 2004

    Frank Kabel Guest

    Hi
    a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files:
    -----

    Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it
    down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format,
    or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find
    a converter here if you don't have WORKS.

    http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/converter/wkscnvxls_e.htm

    Text from the website above:-

    Microsoft does not provide an import Excel filter for Works-WKS files
    later than version 2. (for Works-WPD and Word they do). There is no
    standard way to convert a lot of Works-WKS files into the Excel format.
    You need to save each file out
    of Works manually into XLS which is a pain in the neck.
    Here comes our MS Works spreadsheets to Excel Converter. It does not
    need a Works Installation and you
    can use the batch converting wizard (see right side).
    a.. Completely integrated into Excel 97/2000/XP, no external program
    b.. Imports MS Works Spreadsheet (*.WKS) 3.x ,4.x, 200xfiles
    c.. Convenient, selfextracting and selfinstalling setup procedure
    d.. Can be removed completely with standard deinstall procedure
    e.. Works with Windows 9x, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP
    f.. Our RL-File-Conversion-Wizard is part of the package
    g.. Converts cell alignments, font styles, etc.
    h.. Excel helper macros to make migration easier
    i.. No need for a Works installation
    j.. Free Updates: Our registered customers can download the latest
    version from our download area at any time

    Two articles from Microsoft that deal with Works and the files it can
    open/save as.

    Works: Sharing Works Files with Other Programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-ca;271080

    Works: Limitations of Sharing Files with Excel
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-ca;269273

    --
    Regards
    Frank Kabel
    "fgiord" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    Frank Kabel, Dec 16, 2004

    Thanks,
    I purchased a new computer and dumped all my files into it now the new one
    doesn't have works so now I can't even open Works Word proccessor and the
    Works database files!

    Guest, Dec 16, 2004

    Frank Kabel Guest

    Hi
    then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him convert
    your files) or go for one of the commercial converters

    --
    Regards
    Frank Kabel

    Frank Kabel, Dec 16, 2004

    Thanks Frank,

    I guess I'll hook up the old computer and (start convert'n)

    Guest, Dec 16, 2004

    LeAnne Guest

    Frank Kabel wrote:

    > Hi
    > then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him convert
    > your files) or go for one of the commercial converters

    PMFJI -

    Is that the poster's only option? I am able to open existing Works
    spreadsheet files from XL(97 or 03)...select File > Open and then hit
    the dropdown list for "Files of Type;" file formats with the extension
    ..wks are listed. Likewise, Word appears to be able to open word
    processing files of filetype .wps.

    hth,

    LeAnne

    LeAnne, Dec 22, 2004

    LeAnne Guest

    LeAnne, Dec 22, 2004

    Nick Hodge Guest

    LeAnne

    For some reason known only to MS, they abandoned the converter for *.wks
    (also used by Lotus as an extension) after V2 of Works, so any version after
    that has to be saved as such in Works... seems mad to me too!

    --
    HTH
    Nick Hodge

    Nick Hodge, Dec 22, 2004

    Frank Kabel Guest

    Hi
    at least my Excel would open only VERY old Works 2.0 files but not the newer
    versions

    --
    Regards
    Frank Kabel

    Frank Kabel, Dec 22, 2004

    LeAnne Guest

    Nick Hodge wrote:

    > LeAnne
    >
    > For some reason known only to MS, they abandoned the converter for *.wks
    > (also used by Lotus as an extension) after V2 of Works, so any version after
    > that has to be saved as such in Works... seems mad to me too!

    Hi Nick,

    <sarcasm> Good ol' M$...</sarcasm>

    Seriously, according to the KB article posted above:

    "Microsoft Excel can open and view a Works Spreadsheet document in its
    native (.xlr) format. A Works Spreadsheet document can be viewed with
    any program that can open or view a Microsoft Excel worksheet.
    Additionally, Spreadsheet can also open Backup files (.bks) and Text
    files (.txt)."

    L.

    LeAnne, Dec 22, 2004

    Nick Hodge Guest

    Mmmmmmm

    If anyone has a file, send it and I'll try, but I will be staggered as to
    why they suddenly included it again. It hasn't worked since XL97 or 2000,
    can't remember now.

    --
    HTH
    Nick Hodge

    Nick Hodge, Dec 22, 2004

    Frank Kabel Guest

    [...]
    > <sarcasm> Good ol' M$...</sarcasm>
    >
    > Seriously, according to the KB article posted above:
    >
    > "Microsoft Excel can open and view a Works Spreadsheet document in its
    > native (.xlr) format. A Works Spreadsheet document can be viewed with
    > any program that can open or view a Microsoft Excel worksheet.
    > Additionally, Spreadsheet can also open Backup files (.bks) and Text
    > files (.txt)."

    Hi LeAnne
    but this is probably not the default format to save a Works file. If the
    user has the option to create such file in Works he could create a *.xls
    file anyway :)

    Frank

    Frank Kabel, Dec 22, 2004

    LeAnne Guest

    Frank Kabel wrote:

    > Hi LeAnne
    > but this is probably not the default format to save a Works file.

    Hmm. Okay, if it isn't .wks, and it isn't .xl*, what is the default file
    format for a Works spreadsheet these days?

    LeAnne

    LeAnne, Dec 22, 2004
  14. In newer versions of Works (6.0, or later), it looks like .xlr is the
    default format.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271074

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

    Debra Dalgleish, Dec 22, 2004

    LeAnne Guest

    Debra Dalgleish wrote:

    > In newer versions of Works (6.0, or later), it looks like .xlr is the
    > default format.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271074

    Debra to the rescue! Girl power! Woohoo!

    Thanks,

    LeAnne

    LeAnne, Dec 22, 2004

    Spence Guest

    All...you can also simply download Open Office and use it. I've had very
    good luck with old Lotus files and I'm running OS X.

    Spence, Aug 27, 2008

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Spence

    You replied to 3 1/2 year old post but thanks for the info.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Aug 27, 2008