how do i CLONE a machine and then give it it's own license?

Discussion in 'Windows XP New Users' started by Jeff W, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Jeff W

    Jeff W Guest

    Ok - I just inherited a used 2GHz PC + monitor. I want to make
    it a clone of an existing XP PC (yes, I'm willing to pay
    for another XP license).

    So, I do an image-copy of my original PC's hard disk onto a
    blank disk, plug the disk into the machine, do a repair-install
    (to mate to the new hardware) and I should be fine.

    Except - I now have 2 machines on the same license.

    I -THINK- what will happen is that the new machine will
    detect the changed hardware and ask me to re-validate -
    with (I hope) an option to give it a new key. Otherwise,
    I'm confused as to how I fix things...

    thanks!
    /j

    Jeff W, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Jeff

    You either buy a new license or boxed version of XP and then do a repair
    install on the clone.. for more on repair installs, go to here..

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\), Aug 16, 2005

  3. Jeff W

    Jeff W Guest

    Well, yes, I intended to buy a license, and yes, i'm sure the
    answer to my question is somewhere on your large and deep website.

    So thanks, I guess, though I don't -feel- any wiser? 8-}

    perhaps a link to the 'right' answer on your site would help?
    /j

    Jeff W, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Jeff W

    Squire Guest

    Mike, if the original OS is over 180 days old, can't it be used on another
    machine ?

    Squire, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Jeff

    It is probably cheaper to go along to your local store or one of the major
    stores online and get a new copy of XP than it is to buy a license..

    The website that I gave you is the best.. Michael Stevens puts warnings out
    because installation processes can and do go wrong..

    I recently ran the repair install on a system.. I could hear thunder miles
    away, only just detectable, then the power died.. I had to do a full system
    install after that, because the repair install corrupted so badly.. it
    happens..

    The truth is that repair installs go great in good weather.. Michael's
    procedure is easy enough to follow, and once you are through it, you will
    wonder why you worried in the first place..

    The link on Michael's website for repair installs was the 6th entry on the
    left in the vertical menu.. to save you looking for it, here is a link that
    will take you directly to the page

    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\), Aug 16, 2005
  6. Squire

    As I understand, if a Windows installation is older than 120 days, the next
    time the CD is used for installation, one can activate over the internet..
    any period before the 120 days invokes the need to call for activation..
    this process is automated and easy to follow..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\), Aug 16, 2005