Windows XP How do I check the speed of my ISP connection??

Reaction score
I know this isn't a Windows question, but can anyone tell me how I can check how many kbps my ISP is providing me with?

I recently got a letter saying I would be upgraded to 256kpbs, but I am certain that this has not happened, but I don't know how to check.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
psd99 said:
give this place a go! very good information:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
Good link ... not seen that one before and it is quite accurate.

Downstream1418 Kbps (177.3 KB/sec)1531 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream240 Kbps (30.0 KB/sec)259 Kbps (inc. overheads)

:thumb:

Be aware that at different time of the day will give you different readings.

Reaction score
Sometimes i get like 800Kb/ps down but usually 1500kb/ps down... it should be alot nearer 2048kb/ps down...

Sometimes i get some downloads at 200kb/ps plus... rare though, usuall at 4

BT line not fixed yet, the margin, or signal to noise ration is still between 3 and 5 - should be at 30 some...this means our internet is very unreliable at the moment, and usually about dial up speed...

Reaction score
Hi. I'm the original poster.....

I checked with the test that psd99 recommended and I get 151 kbps downstream and 264 kbps upstream.

This is with Tiscali broadband.

Tiscali told me they were going to upgrade me from a 150kpbs package to a 256kbps. But I don't think they've upgraded me because I can't notice any improvement in speed.

Also, I don't know which value to use as a guide, my downstream value or my upstream value??

muckshifter

Reaction score
... and they did not lie. ;)

But you really will not notice too much of a speed increase in 100kbs in "real" terms. However, go from 256 to 1.5 and you will.

Reaction score
mojouk, sorry to hear about this

use your downstream value. thats the most important
it appears that u have not been upgraded, i suggest contacting your isp.

ne possibility of changing your isp?
www.broadbandchecker.co.uk this was also a very good site for me when i was making my choice of ISP. btw I am with Bulldog on a 4MB line, they actually give me 4.2MB, which means I get 200kb for free, i would happily donate this to you!:)

good luck

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey Mucks just carried out the speed test on the link you gave and it's showing

304 kbps inc overheads
58 kbps inc overheads

I'm running a 300k broadband cable line through ntl, and was wondering do these figures sound ok to you 304 on the downstream sounds fine, but i'm not sure on the 58 on the upstream.
Do you think ntl are short changing me,:( and if so what do you recommend on the other broadband suppliers....

Thanking you in advance for your response......:D

Reaction score
We have big problems with our BT line after upgrading to 2mb - theres something wrong with it, an engineer has been out already, and fixed something, but the problem is still there - the connection keeps dying every 5 mins and is usually very slow.

I get anywhere from Dial up speeds to 1.9Mb/Ps on the ADSL-Guide test.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
crazylegs said:

304 kbps inc overheads
58 kbps inc overheads
I'd try the tests again at a different time of day, sometimes you may find that they dip a little during peak hours - so its nothing to worry about if that is all :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
crazylegs said:

304 kbps inc overheads
58 kbps inc overheads

I'm running a 300k broadband cable line through ntl, and was wondering do these figures sound ok to you 304 on the downstream sounds fine, but i'm not sure on the 58 on the upstream.
Do you think ntl are short changing me,:( and if so what do you recommend on the other broadband suppliers....

Thanking you in advance for your response......:D
Your 'downstream' is fine ... you should be getting around 128 for upstream, but then I'm not sure. As Ian said though, at different times of the day you will get different readings.

I've always recommended NTL Broadband over any of the others ... simple fact that they do use "real" broadband with a fibre optic cable directly connected to your modem. Used in conjunction with an Ethernet connection (not USB) to your PC you really can't beat it for reliability.

I attend more BT related Internet problems with their neglect in telling customers some essential & basic facts. NTL problems are usually associated with the user not paying attention to the fact that you need a PC with at least 64Mb ram.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've got the same connection and got the same letter and i've just been upgraded

Reaction score
You can check your connection as well as your ISP address.

To check you connection you need to go to start-programs-accessories-and look for dos prompt. Once in there you need to type ping 127.0.0.1 and then enter. This will show you if your computer working fine. This is called the loop address

If you know your ISP you need to go to start-programs-accessories-and look for dos prompt. Once in there you need to type ping (press space bar) put in the ISP address then enter. This well show you how long its taking to get information to your computer and back. BUT REMEMBER DON'T MESS IN DOS OR YOU COULD MESS YOUR COMPUTER WELL UP .

Reaction score
that speed test page is really cool

when ur out in speical places try using it to test their speeds,
i went to my mates old mans place his connection is 100MB! that is so sick!
but we coulndt do a broadband speed check cuz it was blocked something about a poxy proxy server!!
but imagine having a 100MB conncection!!!

Ask a Question