    will display an inactive (grayed out) FrontPage icon for a site i designed
    but when i revisit that site minutes later it is suddenly active. It seems to
    be a random problem. Could it be be caused by IE6?

    Guest, Jan 23, 2005

  2. You really should open your sites directly in FP using File Menu | Open Web / Site, not via the IE
    Edit with command.

    WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
    http://www.ycoln-resources.com
    FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

    Thomas A. Rowe, Jan 23, 2005

    Re: How do i activate "grayed out" or missing FrontPage 2000 icon

    Thanks, but I have never been able to use FrontPage in that way i.e. "Open
    Web" -- probably because i sometimes edit pages in html via FTP(whenever it's
    faster) and I orignally created many of my pages in html.
    Besides, i f i shouldn't be opening Front Page via the icon then why have
    the icon?It has worked for me in the past (since 2000) but not lately. I do
    not use the Front Page templates or navigation aids because my sites are
    hundreds of pages in size, some from the mid-90s, created via a mix of html
    and FrontPage.
    Joe Voyles

    Guest, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Re: How do i activate "grayed out" or missing FrontPage 2000 icon

    It really depends on the how the web host has configured their servers, whether the ability to use
    the Edit With command is active. If the command is not showing, that is an issue with your local PC.

    If you use the FP File Menu | Open Web / Site you know for sure that you have a web open and not
    just a page within the web, which should always happen anyway when you do use the Edit With command.

    Also if the remote server has the FP extensions, you really should never change content outside of
    FP, no matter how fast, as cause you live/remote copy to be out of sync with your local copy and it
    doesn't matter whether you are using FP themes, navigation or other FP component, FP strongest point
    is it ability to manage your site content, which is broken when you work outside of FP.

    Using FTP may be the reason why you can open the site directly in FP, but make sure that you are
    enter the URL as http://www.yourdomainname.com/ You may have try with and without the trailing
    slash.

    Thomas A. Rowe, Jan 23, 2005

    Chuck Davis Guest

    Re: How do i activate "grayed out" or missing FrontPage 2000 icon

    Joe,
    The reason for being able to open the site live is to reset functions that
    only reside on the server, i.e., hit counters.
    The joy of having your host's files exactly match that on your computer will
    come the day that your hosting company shuts down without notice. Then all
    that you will have to do is to transfer the domain to another host and
    Publish your hard drive based site to the new host. It's called back up.

    Chuck Davis, Jan 23, 2005

    Re: How do i activate "grayed out" or missing FrontPage 2000 icon

    I'm wondering if the problem could be in my operating system (XP). Everything
    works fine when I use my laptop (also XP) but this problem only occurs with
    my desktop PC. Both computers use the same OS, same browser, same version of
    Front Page, etc. and obviously the same host.
    jv

    Guest, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Re: How do i activate "grayed out" or missing FrontPage 2000 icon

    On your desktop, clear your IE Cache folder.

    Thomas A. Rowe, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Re: How do i activate "grayed out" or missing FrontPage 2000 icon

    It's part of INternet Explorer, not Frontpage - other browsers don't have it
    do they?
    Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, Netscape
    ???

    Andrew Murray, Jan 24, 2005