How can I move shared music/pictures to another drive?

jquiet

How can I move shared music/pictures to another drive? I'm using Windows XP
Media Center Edition. Please don't respond unless you have actually
sucessfully moved Shared documents and Shared Music/Pictures/Video. Let's
see if we can finally get a correct answer to this question, since many
customers are asking it without a correct response.

Don't refer me to "http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_shell_folders.htm". It
does not work.

Don't tell me about TweakUI. It does not work.

I already know how to right click on "My Documents", properties to move it.

These are the only instructions I have found which partially work:
"http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=597"

with the exception of the part about renaming the shared documents folder.
But it only moves the top level Shared Documents and not Shared Music,
Shared Video, Shared Pictures

I don't understand why people insist that the other registry edits or
TweakUI work?

It is very frustrating !!!!

I bet many people didn't know that it is possible to move the entire
Documents and Settings folder (Q236621). Changing ProfilesList chages the
location for any new user. I have done this, but it is not what I am after.
Since all the settings are in Documents and Settings you can't log-in if
that drive is missing (I seem to recall). I wan't to keep the settings on
C:. But move the shared documents to another drive.

Sorry for being harsh and thanks !!!

Chad Harris

Jquiet--

See this link--let me know if you get it done.

http://www.talkroot.com/archive/topic/11813-1.html

Posted by: Alex Nichol

Dean said:
Is there a way of changing the location of the My Pictures folder in Win
XP?
I want it
to reside on a different drive to the rest of my documents.

Open a window to show it. Open another on the drive where you want it,
and *right* drag it across, taking *move* here on releasing the mouse
button. That will transfer the files and update the record in registry
that describes where it is

Bournemouth, U.K. (e-mail address removed)8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Also see:

http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jsp?forum=10&thread=27181&message=134756

This reference may also help as an alternative:

How to Move Your Digital Music and Video Collection to Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308638

Chad Harris

Chad Harris

Whoops!!!!! *Shared pictures--move shared folders...*

How 'bout this:

Create a shortcut under your custom "Shared Documents" folder to each of the
folders; or you can copy the files in there under a folder you create
(shared pictures, music, videos).

Something else you might want is to create the "desktop.ini" files with both
hidden and system attributes so they will have the same "look and feel" as
the old Share folders.

Shared Documents
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-21785

Shared Music
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-12689
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=-237
[email protected],-28995

Shared Pictures
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-12688
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\mydocs.dll
IconIndex=-101
[email protected],-28997

Shared Videos
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-12690
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=-238
[email protected],-28996

Chad Harris

jquiet

I want them to have all the properties, for example when you go to my
pictures, shared pictures shows up in the explorer task pane. Same for my
music.

Keith Miller

I just tried it & it appears to have been successful.

I'm running XP pro. You may be experiencing difficulties specific to Media Center Edition, in which case you may have better luck posting to a group for that particular version.

You're absolutely right about TweakUI...RegMon showed no registry entries were changed by TweakUI after selecting a new location.

If you're relying on TweakUI to accurately report the location of Shared Music, Pics, etc. -- then you're being mislead. It attempts to read:

"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\CommonMusic"
(or CommonPictures or CommonVideo)

which don't seem to exist by default. TweakUI then seems to "make up" a path value using defaults.

I followed the instructions in the link you provided and was successful in relocating shared documents. I changed the paths for each folder under:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders"
("Common Documents", "CommonMusic", "CommonPictures", "CommonVideo")

Under:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"

I originally only had the "Common Documents" entry. After seeing what TweakUI was looking for, I added entries for
"CommonMusic", "CommonPictures" and "CommonVideo" and set the paths I wanted. After adding those (and logoff/logon), The shortcuts in the "other places" group in common tasks worked correctly.

Give that a try and post back.

Keith

jquiet

Keith,

That is very close. I suspected that "User Shell Folders" was missing
something but had doubts about adding it.

I added "CommonMusic", "CommonPictures" and "CommonVideo", no spaces, as
expandable strings. I just followed the pattern. Is that what you did?

Only the My Video seems to work correctly, When in "My Video" I can see the
"Other Places" link to "Shared Video". All the registry settings are holding
after log-off/on. The PC is also much slower now switching between windows,
as if it is searching for something and not finding it.

You are defiitely on the right track and I must have made some mistake.

Thanks

[...]

Nevermind the sluggishness issue, after a restart it is OK. But as I said
before only My Videos seems to be working perfectly.

jquiet

Chad,

Editing the desktop.ini, does correct the name of the folder and its icon.
Keith Miller, in a following post, is onto the correct solution for moving
the folders.

Thanks

Ramesh [MVP]

I'm able to redirect all the three special folders without any problem. (Just created appropriate folders in a different partition f:\ and tested it).

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

"jquiet" <tester,testingplace,net> wrote in message Nevermind the sluggishness issue, after a restart it is OK. But as I said
before only My Videos seems to be working perfectly.

jquiet

Keith,

It all works. I had a typo.

So thanks Keith for the moving folders instructions. The only thing I would
clarify is that the new values should be added as expandable strings.

Thanks Chad for the tips on getting the names and icons correct.

Ramesh, I hope you can let the TweakUI team know.

[...]

Ramesh,

It all works for me too. I had a typo.

So thanks Keith for the moving folders instructions. The only thing I would
clarify is that the new values should be added as expandable strings.

Thanks Chad for the tips on getting the names and icons up to standard by
modifying desktop.ini

Ramesh, I hope you can let the TweakUI team know. It might also be nice to
lookup the poor souls who were asking about this before and let them know. I
know of at least two recent ones. This question is asked a lot, if you
search google, and the wrong (should be right) answer is always given "Use
TweakUI":
"http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx
?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&mid=6925e969-37c2-42ac-9a05-cd2257501
fa6"

"http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx
?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize&mid=7f9d8e9d-78b0-4771-9b39-9a2c27b
33ac9"

Good work everyone. Thanks.

I'm able to redirect all the three special folders without any problem.
(Just created appropriate folders in a different partition f:\ and tested
it).

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"jquiet" <tester,testingplace,net> wrote in message
Nevermind the sluggishness issue, after a restart it is OK. But as I said
before only My Videos seems to be working perfectly.

Ramesh [MVP]

Nice to hear you have this issue resolved. Thanks to Keith. Noted yet another bug in TweakUI.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

"jquiet" <tester,testingplace,net> wrote in message Keith,

[...]

Informed those two poor souls thru mail :)

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

"jquiet" <tester,testingplace,net> wrote in message Ramesh,

[...]

You're welcome. Glad you've got it working now. Sorry I wasn't explicit about the entry type -- I did create the new entries as expandable strings -- I'll add that in the next time the question is asked :)

Keith

Joined
Sep 29, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
My problem is the links under Other Places section in Common Tasks are mixed. While viewing Shared Pictures, the section links to My Videos not to My Pictures and while viewing Shared Videos, the section links to My Documents not to My Videos. Anyway to fix this?