How can I make separate clips from one big analog clip?

G

I may have worded this wrong when I posted the questions before. I am shooting 8mm analog video and importing it into the computer via a Dazzle Hollywood Bridge. I can get the footage into Movie Maker just fine, however it does not separate into clips. When I try "Create Clips" on the one big clip, it works at it for 2 - 3 minutes, but to no avail. I can drag the big clip to the timeline and split it into smaller clips, but I would like to be able to take the small clips back into the collection to make it easier to move them around. Is there a way to do this? I need help (I'm trying to edit a video for my kids science project). Thank you in advance for any advice.

G

MM2 will not create clips from analog video. You will have to cut the clips yourself and then you can drag and drop them all over the timeline as you desire. It might be best if you use Storyboard instead of Timeline to arrange the clips. You can also split (cut) the video into smaller more managable chuncks to work with but I don't see the need. Good luck
Sincerely
digipi

----- Tim wrote: ----

I may have worded this wrong when I posted the questions before. I am shooting 8mm analog video and importing it into the computer via a Dazzle Hollywood Bridge. I can get the footage into Movie Maker just fine, however it does not separate into clips. When I try "Create Clips" on the one big clip, it works at it for 2 - 3 minutes, but to no avail. I can drag the big clip to the timeline and split it into smaller clips, but I would like to be able to take the small clips back into the collection to make it easier to move them around. Is there a way to do this? I need help (I'm trying to edit a video for my kids science project). Thank you in advance for any advice.

G

Thank you for the response. I have actually been able to cut it up and move it around on the timeline, I just would like to be able to drag or copy the clips up into a new collection and rename them so that I can manage them easier. Can this be done?

P

PapaJohn

Hi Tim,

Once clips are moved into the timeline/storyboard, they become part of the
project file, which is totally independent of the collection database where
the information about collections and clips is maintained.

It's a one way street.... collections to projects. So you can't do what you
would like. The only way to do it would be to divide the clips in the
collection before moving them into the project.
--
PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org

Tim said:
Thank you for the response. I have actually been able to cut it up and
move it around on the timeline, I just would like to be able to drag or copy
the clips up into a new collection and rename them so that I can manage them
easier. Can this be done?

G

Genius! I didn't realize you could split the clips in the Collection, I thought they had to be on the timeline. That is exactly the answer I needed. Thank you for your help!

Ask a Question