How can I eject my CD?

alice

After playing or using a CD my PC's DVD drive, it will not eject. I've
replaced it 3 times, and it still has that problem so I don't think
it's the drives themeselves- I'm guessing is software/system related.
Is there somthing I can or should try to get it to eject? I know I can
use the emergency eject, but that makes the CD spin as it comes out,
and I can see marks that it makes on the CDs ie damage from scraping. I
would like to find a way to make it eject WITHOUT using the emergency
eject hole.
I'm looking for something I can do in windows, some sort of setting,
command...somthing. Any advice would be helpful EXCEPT telling me about
using a paper clip to stick in the eject hole.

Patrick Keenan

After playing or using a CD my PC's DVD drive, it will not eject. I've
replaced it 3 times, and it still has that problem so I don't think
it's the drives themeselves- I'm guessing is software/system related.
Is there somthing I can or should try to get it to eject? I know I can
use the emergency eject, but that makes the CD spin as it comes out,
and I can see marks that it makes on the CDs ie damage from scraping. I
would like to find a way to make it eject WITHOUT using the emergency
eject hole.
I'm looking for something I can do in windows, some sort of setting,
command...somthing. Any advice would be helpful EXCEPT telling me about
using a paper clip to stick in the eject hole.

Have you tried right-clicking on the drive in Explorer, and choosing Eject?

HTH
-pk

Bruce Chambers

After playing or using a CD my PC's DVD drive, it will not eject. I've
replaced it 3 times, and it still has that problem so I don't think
it's the drives themeselves- I'm guessing is software/system related.
Is there somthing I can or should try to get it to eject? I know I can
use the emergency eject, but that makes the CD spin as it comes out,
and I can see marks that it makes on the CDs ie damage from scraping. I
would like to find a way to make it eject WITHOUT using the emergency
eject hole.
I'm looking for something I can do in windows, some sort of setting,
command...somthing. Any advice would be helpful EXCEPT telling me about
using a paper clip to stick in the eject hole.

If you're pressing the Eject button on the front of the drive, and the
CD still won't eject, you have a defective drive; can't possibly be
anything else.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Ayush

Can be your burning program or any program related to CD-Drive. To figure
this out :
Run in Safe Mode > Do the same things you do > Try to Eject

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]

For any query, search > www.Google.com
Want to know about a term > http://en.wikipedia.org

| After playing or using a CD my PC's DVD drive, it will not eject. I've
| replaced it 3 times, and it still has that problem so I don't think
| it's the drives themeselves- I'm guessing is software/system related.
| Is there somthing I can or should try to get it to eject? I know I can
| use the emergency eject, but that makes the CD spin as it comes out,
| and I can see marks that it makes on the CDs ie damage from scraping. I
| would like to find a way to make it eject WITHOUT using the emergency
| eject hole.
| I'm looking for something I can do in windows, some sort of setting,
| command...somthing. Any advice would be helpful EXCEPT telling me about
| using a paper clip to stick in the eject hole.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Power down the system before using the emergency eject procedure. This is
completely manual and does not need power to operate.

If this happens continuously on that drive, it might be time to replace the
drive.

alice

Ronnie said:
Power down the system before using the emergency eject procedure. This is
completely manual and does not need power to operate.

I'm trying to find a way to not have to turn the power off every time I
want to eject the disk. I want to 1)eject the cd while keeping my
computer on 2)not have to use the emergency eject
If this happens continuously on that drive, it might be time to replace the
drive.

I've replaced the drive 3 times already. I'm looking for a long term
solution.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

You started another thread on the basics newsgroup back on 9/2 and Wesley Vogel MVP replied with instructions on how to create a script file to eject the CD, but you never replied. Did you see that post?

If not, here are the instructions he posted.

<Quote>
From: Wesley Vogel
Date: Sat, Sep 2 2006 3:07 pm
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics

Eject CD or DVD drives

These two .vbs files will open the trays on D: and E: drives.

Copy the lines below into Notepad, not including the ---- parts.

Save as ejectD.vbs

-----------below this line----------------
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set MyComp=objShell.NameSpace(17)
Set CD=MyComp.ParseName("D:\")
Set Context=CD.Verbs
CD.InvokeVerb "E&ject"
-----------above this line----------------

Copy the lines below into Notepad, not including the ---- parts.

Save as ejectE.vbs

-----------below this line----------------
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set MyComp=objShell.NameSpace(17)
Set CD=MyComp.ParseName("E:\")
Set Context=CD.Verbs
CD.InvokeVerb "E&ject"
-----------above this line----------------

There is one difference in the two, ("D:\") and ("E:\") are the drive
letters. These can be changed to any CD or DVD drive letter.

You can move the .vbs files where ever you want.

You can also create shortcuts to both .vbs files.

Then just double click ejectD.vbs or ejectE.vbs to eject the drive. Or just
double click the shortcut to ejectD.vbs or ejectE.vbs to eject the drive.

Hope this helps. Let us know.
</Quote>

alice

I did try that, it didn't work. Well, it works the very first time from
when I turn the PC on, just like the button does. But not after that.
Basically the only thing that works is restarting, but I want to know
how to fix it so I don't have to restart each time.

ANONYMOUS

It looks like your Cd writing software is starting to write to the CD
but for some reasons it can't release the process. Have you tried to
check whether the CD writing software autostarts when you reboot? If
this is the case then you want this to stop. Try giving three-finger
salute CNTRL+ALT+DEL and see what processes and programs are running.
If CD writing software is running then kill it off by clicking on End
Process button. Then try ejecting the CD.

hth

alice

ANONYMOUS said:
It looks like your Cd writing software is starting to write to the CD
but for some reasons it can't release the process. Have you tried to
check whether the CD writing software autostarts when you reboot? If
this is the case then you want this to stop. Try giving three-finger
salute CNTRL+ALT+DEL and see what processes and programs are running.
If CD writing software is running then kill it off by clicking on End
Process button. Then try ejecting the CD.

hth

It's not a burner, its a DVD drive. I usually use windows Media Player,
unless it's a software disc of course. The option in WMP to eject won't
work, and closing the program doens't help either.

alice

ANONYMOUS said:
It looks like your Cd writing software is starting to write to the CD
but for some reasons it can't release the process. Have you tried to
check whether the CD writing software autostarts when you reboot?

It's not a burner, its a DVD drive. I usually use windows Media Player,
unless it's a software disc of course. The option in WMP to eject won't
work, and closing the program doens't help either.

If

alice

ANONYMOUS said:
It looks like your Cd writing software is starting to write to the CD
but for some reasons it can't release the process. Have you tried to
check whether the CD writing software autostarts when you reboot?

It's not a burner, its a DVD drive. I usually use windows Media Player,
unless it's a software disc of course. The option in WMP to eject won't
work, and closing the program doens't help either.

If

Ronnie Vernon MVP

OK, something has to be happening, after the system is booted up and running.

You have determined that:
"I know I can use the emergency eject, but that makes the CD spin as it comes out,
and I can see marks that it makes on the CDs ie damage from scraping."

This is strange because the emergency eject is simply a mechanical latch release for the CD tray. If the CD is still spinning when you activate the EE, then this would indicate that some program or process is still accessing the CD.

You also stated that (Talking about the eject button and the eject script) "I did try that, it didn't work. Well, it works the very first time from when I turn the PC on, just like the button does. But not after that. Basically the only thing that works is restarting, but I want to know how to fix it so I don't have to restart each time."

From this we can determine that the cause is not something that starts automatically when you boot the system.

So something has to be happening from the time that the system is completely started and after the first time you use the CD drive.

Here are some things you can perform to troubleshoot.

Check the Event Viewer for possible information. Go to Start/Run and type: eventvwr and press OK. Click the Application menu item on the left and look for any "X" error messages that coincide with when you last saw this behavior. If any are found, double click the error entry to see the details, click the Copy Icon on the right side of the details dialog screen (looks like 2 pages of text) and paste the error details in a reply to this message. You only need to post the text starting with Event Type: and ending with the Description:. You can omit the Data section.

ie:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: <source>
Event Category: <category>
Event ID: <ID #>
Date: <date>
Time: <time>
User: <user name>
Computer: <computer name>

alice

Check the Event Viewer for possible information. Go to Start/Run and type: eventvwr and press OK. Click the Application menu item on the left and look for any "X" error messages that coincide with when you last saw this behavior. If any are found, double click the error entry to see the details, click the Copy Icon on the right side of the details dialog screen (looks like 2 pages of text) and paste the error details in a reply to this message. You only need to post the text starting with Event Type: and ending with the Description:. You can omit the Data section.

There are no errors in the log. I'm not sure what time I would be
looking for anyway...the time that I pressed the button and nothing
happened...would that really be an "event" since it obviously register
that it was pushed? At any rate, there are no errors of any sort for
the last few days.

Next:
Go to Start/Run and type: msinfo32 and press OK. Click Components / ProblemDevices to check for possible hardware device problems. If anything is visible in this window, press CTRL+A (select all) and then CTRL+C (copy). Paste the information in a reply to this thread.

There are no "Problem Devices" listed.

I've checked the driver and it says there are no new ones, what I have
is working and is the most current.

Like I've said, the drive has been replaced 3 times. If it's not in the
software, could it be something on the MB that damages the drives once
they are installed?

alice

Well after posting all this, there was really nothing to try and do,
but the drive went through a phase where it just started working
(ejecting). But now suddenly after the 2nd CD today, it again decides
it won't eject and I had to use the paper clip method. I just don't get
it. There seems to be no solution other than a new PC.

FeMaster

Well after posting all this, there was really nothing to try and do,
but the drive went through a phase where it just started working
(ejecting). But now suddenly after the 2nd CD today, it again decides
it won't eject and I had to use the paper clip method. I just don't get
it. There seems to be no solution other than a new PC.

I wouldn't go that drastic... If nothing else, a fresh install of the
operating system, and whatever programs would probably clear this up.

From what I have read, I'd gather that something is "locking" down the
drive. A lot of CD/DVD burning software does this during the burning
process so that you can't eject the media until the burn is complete. Yes,
I realize that it's not a burner, but, do you have a burner installed as a
secondary drive?

For troubleshooting purposes, do a fresh restart. Hit your CTRL+ALT+DEL
keys. Write down every file that is running under the processes tab. drop
in a CD, pay it, eject it, play it again, etc. until the CD won't eject any
more. Close whatever you were playing it in. If it still won't eject, do
the CTRL+ALT+DEL again, and write down all the running processes again.
Check for differences. There will probably be at least one running that
wasn't before, and that will probably be your culprit. Make note of the new
processes (if any), and then do an End Process on it (them). Does the CD
eject now?

alice

FeMaster said:
I wouldn't go that drastic... If nothing else, a fresh install of the
operating system, and whatever programs would probably clear this up.

From what I have read, I'd gather that something is "locking" down the
drive. A lot of CD/DVD burning software does this during the burning
process so that you can't eject the media until the burn is complete. Yes,
I realize that it's not a burner, but, do you have a burner installed as a
secondary drive?
There's only the one drive...strange that it started working more
frequently, it just seems moody.
For troubleshooting purposes, do a fresh restart. Hit your CTRL+ALT+DEL
keys. Write down every file that is running under the processes tab. drop
in a CD, pay it, eject it, play it again, etc. until the CD won't eject any
more. Close whatever you were playing it in. If it still won't eject, do
the CTRL+ALT+DEL again, and write down all the running processes again.
Check for differences. There will probably be at least one running that
wasn't before, and that will probably be your culprit. Make note of the new
processes (if any), and then do an End Process on it (them). Does the CD
eject now?

I'll have to try that when I get a chance, that's a good idea, a bit
meticulous, but it's the only way I suppose.

alice

Date: <date>
Time: <time>
User: <user name>
Computer: <computer name>

-------

Event Type: Error
Event Source: PlugPlayManager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 12
Date: 10/14/2006
Time: 1:12:04 PM
User: N/A
Computer: FEAR2
The device 'HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8160B'
(IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVD-ROM_GDR8160B_______________0009____\5&1b27f85&0&0.0.0)
disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

THis is what it said after a new problem today - while playing a QT
movie file from a CDrom (from Adobe, not something with a virus). after
about 5 minutes the player stopped, and I looked for the drive in My
Computer and it simply was gone...the drive won't even show up on my
system...but it's still spining. Why would Windows decide on it's own
to try and uninstall my DVD drive?