How can I deal with an XML that has a reference to a schema?

Me

I need to access an XML that has a schema reference in it.

It looks something like this:

<ProductInfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation=http://xml.mydomain.com/schemas3/dev.xsd

The problem is that the .NET CF does not support schemas, but I didn't
create the XML so I cannot change it at the source.

The question is, what are my options when working in the CF?

BTW, the data is more important to me than the schema itself. I could
really do without the schema.

Thanks,

Me

Brian

You should still be able to parse and navigate the XML file fine. Just
don't validate it against the schema if you don't want to. Is it throwing
an error of some kind?

-Brian

Me

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your response.

The following code acutally works on my desktop. The datagrid contains the
correct information. However, using THE EXACT same code on the PPC 2003
emulator yields an empty grid:

Dim MyDataSet As New DataSet
Dim strHTTP As String

strHTTP = "http://xml.webpage.com/xmlwebpage"

Dim reader = New XmlTextReader(strHTTP)
Try
MyDataSet.ReadXml(reader, XmlReadMode.InferSchema)
DataGrid1.DataSource = MyDataSet.Tables(0)

Catch ex As Exception
Console.WriteLine(ex)
End Try

Note: strHTTP is not a valid webpage. However I do provide one in my actual
code.

Any clues as to why this doesn't work on CF?

Thanks,

Me

Ilya Tumanov [MS]

This should work on CF with or without schema.

CF supports XSD schemas for DataSet, so you do not need to use inference.
Using inference is a bad idea.
Not only it's extremely slow (unless XML is really small), but all type
information will be lost if inference is used.

It's not clear to me why DataSet is empty. Are you getting an exception?
Which one?
Could you post sample schema and data files so I can try to reproduce this
problem? Thanks.

Best regards,

Ilya

From: "Me" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
Subject: Re: How can I deal with an XML that has a reference to a schema?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:41:33 GMT

Brian said:
You should still be able to parse and navigate the XML file fine. Just
don't validate it against the schema if you don't want to. Is it throwing
an error of some kind?

-Brian

Me

Ilya,

Thank you for your response. And thanks a million for your offer to help.

Are you a Microsoft employee? I will need to seek permission here to share
the complete xml file.

However, I took your advice.

I have been able to successfully run the following code on my desktop
(WindowsApplication) in the .NET 2003 environment.

Dim MyDataSet As New DataSet
Dim strISBN As String
strHTTPXML = "http://xml.mydomain.com/onca/xml?" & _
"v=1.0&" & _
"t=webservices-20&" & _
"mode=stuff&" & _
"type=heavy&" & _
"page=1&" & _
"f=xml"

MyDataSet.ReadXml(strHTTPXML)
DataGrid1.DataSource = MyDataSet.Tables(0)

The above code loads the XML into my WinApp dataset and displays it
beautifully in my datagrid.

However, running the same code in my SmartDeviceApp for both the emulator
and the PPC 2003 iPAQ 4350 does not yield any errors, but it does not load
the grid.

Compact Framework versions:

I have the following loaded up on my PPC 2003: 1.03.3111.0

I have the following loaded up on my PPC 2003 Emulator: 1.0.2268.0

I will work on getting permission to share more information with you. In
the meantime, I can say that I have actually been able to load an XML file
into a dataset on the emulator & PDA. The XML file I used had no schema nor
a reference to a schema.

The XML File that I COULD get to load into my WindowsApp data grid, but NOT
my SmartDevicesApp datagrid looked just like the original non-schema XML
file with the following exception:

- <ProductInfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://xml.MYDOMAIN.com/schemas3/dev.xsd">
- <Request>
- <Args>
<Arg value="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; T312461;
..NET CLR 1.1.4322)" name="UserAgent" />
<Arg value="14KMT32BNEK680Q1MHMS" name="RequestID" />
<Arg value="0672325705" name="AsinSearch" />
<Arg value="us" name="locale" />
<Arg value="0" name="dev-t" />
<Arg value="(e-mail address removed)" name="t" />
<Arg value="xml" name="f" />
<Arg value="heavy" name="type" />
</Args>
</Request>

NOTE: the noNamespaceSchemaLocation that I have provided you does not point
to a valid location (I changed the domain name). However, when I use it in
my code, I provide a valid domain name.

The above code was listed just below the following first line of XML code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

I hope that this gives you more information, at least for now.

Thanks,

Gigi

You can feel free to e-mail me. I will post any resolutions to the
newsgroup.

(e-mail address removed)

From: "Me" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:41:33 GMT

[...]

I just installed .NET CF SP2 on the PDA. I still don't get any data out put
in the datagrid.

Gigi

From: "Me" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:41:33 GMT
contains
the

Alex Feinman [MVP]

Ilya is a Microsoft employee.

Can you check if perhaps your DataSet gets loaded successfully, and it's
just the grid that does not get populated? To check, set a breakpoint on the
line after ReadXml() and in the command window type
? MyDataSet.GetXml()

From: "Me" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:41:33 GMT
contains
the

Me

Hi Alex,

I think that I figured out the problem. I needed to specify which table I
wanted.

Thank!

Gigi

From: "Me" <[email protected]>