How can I caculate text in a column?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by Guest, Apr 11, 2006.

    I have columns where I have used X's as tick marks. X=1, XX=2, XXX=3, etc.
    Can these be added up like #'s in the column?

    Guest, Apr 11, 2006

    Don Guillett Guest

    try
    =countif(a:a,"x")

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

    "Calculation of Text" <Calculation of > wrote
    in message news:...

    Don Guillett, Apr 11, 2006

    You can use the length function to determine the number of characters in the
    cell and then sum those values.

    The formula below sums the length of the value in A2, to the lengths of the
    value in A3 and so on.

    =SUM(LEN(A2),LEN(A3),LEN(A4),LEN(A5))
    --
    Kevin Backmann

    Guest, Apr 11, 2006

    Something like?

    =countif(A1:A100,"=X")

    =countif(A1:A100,"=XX")*2

    etc

    HTH

    Guest, Apr 11, 2006

    =COUNTIF(A:A,"x")+COUNTIF(A:A,"xx")*2+COUNTIF(A:A,"xxx")*3

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    Guest, Apr 11, 2006

    Don Guillett Guest

    Actually, this is probably what you wanted.

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEN(H2:H50)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(H2:H50,"x",""))))

    Don Guillett, Apr 11, 2006