    how to join the domain and then remove it after getting the anything needed
    from my network but am i able to simply connect on the lan without joining
    the domain... charlie

    charles kuchar, Jan 4, 2005

  2. "charles kuchar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > We are adding a school unit in a remote location without a server but i am
    > attempting to setup the computers for that location. I want them to be on
    > the workgroup 'workgroup' because there is no domain there. However, i want
    > to access the setup files on my server here on domain 'delasalle'. I know
    > how to join the domain and then remove it after getting the anything needed
    > from my network but am i able to simply connect on the lan without joining
    > the domain... charlie

    I believe this is all going to depend on how you have your security policies configured. Obviously, if the computers aren't members of the domain, they aren't going to have any client apps, updates, or settings pushed down to them automatically. However, if the users are members of the domain, you may be able to give them access to shared folders for installing applications and such. Of course, they would have to authenticate with the server.

    I hope that gives you some ideas.

    carl

    Vagabond Software, Jan 4, 2005

  3. charles kuchar

    NobodyMan Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:45:51 -0800, "Vagabond Software"
    <> wrote:

    >"charles kuchar" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> We are adding a school unit in a remote location without a server but i am
    >> attempting to setup the computers for that location. I want them to be on
    >> the workgroup 'workgroup' because there is no domain there. However, i want
    >> to access the setup files on my server here on domain 'delasalle'. I know
    >> how to join the domain and then remove it after getting the anything needed
    >> from my network but am i able to simply connect on the lan without joining
    >> the domain... charlie

    >I believe this is all going to depend on how you have your security policies configured. Obviously, if the computers aren't members of the domain, they aren't going to have any client apps, updates, or settings pushed down to them automatically. However, if the users are members of the domain, you may be able to give them access to shared folders for installing applications and such. Of course, they would have to authenticate with the server.
    >
    >I hope that gives you some ideas.
    >
    >carl

    It certainly didn't answer the question!

    The answer: you need to talk to your IT folks. We are set up so that
    any 2000/XP box attached to the network can't access our resources
    without joining the domain. If the machine was never part of the
    domain then the SID on it won't match the Domain SID, and access will
    be denied to any Domain resource.

    Only YOUR IT folks can answer this.

    NobodyMan, Jan 6, 2005
  4. "NobodyMan" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:45:51 -0800, "Vagabond Software"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"charles kuchar" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>> We are adding a school unit in a remote location without a server but i am
    >>> attempting to setup the computers for that location. I want them to be on
    >>> the workgroup 'workgroup' because there is no domain there. However, i want
    >>> to access the setup files on my server here on domain 'delasalle'. I know
    >>> how to join the domain and then remove it after getting the anything needed
    >>> from my network but am i able to simply connect on the lan without joining
    >>> the domain... charlie

    >>I believe this is all going to depend on how you have your security policies configured. Obviously, if the computers aren't members of the domain, they aren't going to have any client apps, updates, or settings pushed down to them automatically. However, if the users are members of the domain, you may be able to give them access to shared folders for installing applications and such. Of course, they would have to authenticate with the server.
    >>
    >>I hope that gives you some ideas.
    >>
    >>carl

    > It certainly didn't answer the question!
    >
    > The answer: you need to talk to your IT folks. We are set up so that
    > any 2000/XP box attached to the network can't access our resources
    > without joining the domain. If the machine was never part of the
    > domain then the SID on it won't match the Domain SID, and access will
    > be denied to any Domain resource.
    >
    > Only YOUR IT folks can answer this.

    In my experience, IT folks cause more problems than they solve while impeding productivity. However, I'm working under the assumption he is one of the IT folks.

    The question is a little vague, but the answer is probably YES. As long as his client apps (or some subset) is shared on the server, and domain users are permitted access to that share, then he can install those applications without the computers being members of the domain as long as the users can authenticate with the server, even over a VPN connection.

    carl

    Vagabond Software, Jan 6, 2005
  5. charles kuchar

    Ian Guest

    one can easily map a drive from pc to server using domain
    credentials--either temporarily or permanently--right click my computer and
    follow the prompts.

    "Vagabond Software" <> wrote in message

    Ian, Jan 6, 2005