Program: ShipsBell
Author: Gulf Coastal Software
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.simtel.net/product.php[url_fb_product_page]92124

v 2.6 (818 KB)(Nov 05, 2005)

Operating Systems Windows 95/98/ME/XP
Supported languages English
System requirements No special requirements

"Ships Bell is a program for ship captains and mariners who like to keep
track of time using the 1 to 8 bells system."

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Won Dampchin

Susan said:
Won said:
Any recommendations for pgm to ring nautical bells every hour (1/2
too if available).

from the ACF pages. . .

Program: ShipsBell
Author: Gulf Coastal Software
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.simtel.net/product.php[url_fb_product_page]92124

v 2.6 (818 KB)(Nov 05, 2005)

Operating Systems Windows 95/98/ME/XP
Supported languages English
System requirements No special requirements

"Ships Bell is a program for ship captains and mariners who like to
keep track of time using the 1 to 8 bells system."

Susan

Many thanks Susan ... exactly on point (as always!).

Regards...

Jestre

How does one get this application to chime? I've downloaded the newest
version (now called BetaClock), but cannot seem to find the switch to
turn on chimes, much less ship's bells.

-=| Paul |=-

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:14:39 -0700, SYSYPHUS' SISTER

:: On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:30:18 -0400, "Won Dampchin"
Search for:

Ships Bell v2.6
Gulf Coastal Software

Derald

Won Dampchin said:
to ring nautical bells every hour (1/2 too if
available).
To what end? "Nautical bells" do not address time of day; they
address the question, "How much longer do I have to do this crap?".
Although, "nautical bells", as you call them, announce the passage of
time in half-hour increments, they do not announce time of day and would
serve no useful purpose on a timepiece. There is no specific time of day
that corresponds to any number of bells. Nautical "bells" meter the
passage of four-hour "watch periods", in half-hour increments (one bell
is added each thirty minutes), up to a total of eight bells and then
they start over again. Watch periods begin when the ship's Captain
*says* they begin. Traditionally -- while she's under weigh, at least --
a ship's Quartermaster, responsible for navigation, is the only crew
member who "needs" to know actual time of day.

Gordon Abbot

Derald said:
[...]

Funny, and true.

However, they do let you know the time of day, as long as you can look
out a porthole. They start at 12 and correspond to a watch, which are
(usually) 4 hours (except the dog watch). Hence, you will know the time
of day from hearing the bells (12 hundred (8), 12 30 (1), 13 hundred
(2), 13 30 (thirteen thirty)...)(3)...16 hundred (8).

GA

Dave C.

Nautical bells not only useful but are unique and charming. I have a ships
clock with nautical bells and never had a problem knowing what 4 hour
segment it is chiming.

John Fitzsimons

Alarms yes, but nautical bells? (Pretty trivial to write a program
that does, though.)

Talking about trivial. How are things going with the "Printout of
Installed Software" program ? Or have you given up on doing
that ?

Regards, John.

Al Klein

Talking about trivial. How are things going with the "Printout of
Installed Software" program ? Or have you given up on doing
that ?

It's about #4 on the list at the moment.

Won Dampchin

Al said:
Alarms yes, but nautical bells? (Pretty trivial to write a program
that does, though.)

Hell's Bells landlubber! You'd be at sea without 'em! (;^)