Hosts file

Pammyam

My original hosts file copy has gone missing. I was tinkering with things
because I couldn't get Host Toggle to work correctly after running the .bat
file for the latest Mike Burgess update to the hosts file. Can I just make
another basic hosts file? I deleted a bunch of files pertaining to Hosts
Toggle and a bunch of zip files that I thought were associated with the
downloads for the program, and managed to get a black screen with a blinking
cursor. I did a system restore and am up and running.

TIA
Pam

running XP Pro

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Try the following:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

| My original hosts file copy has gone missing. I was tinkering with things
| because I couldn't get Host Toggle to work correctly after running the .bat
| file for the latest Mike Burgess update to the hosts file. Can I just make
| another basic hosts file? I deleted a bunch of files pertaining to Hosts
| Toggle and a bunch of zip files that I thought were associated with the
| downloads for the program, and managed to get a black screen with a blinking
| cursor. I did a system restore and am up and running.
|
| TIA
| Pam
|
| running XP Pro

Pammyam

Thank you, but I'd already been there. I just need to know what the
contents of an original hosts file looks like. Mine was just 1KB. Can I
simply copy the MVP hosts file and delete everything after the firt
127.0.0.1 line in the active part of the file following the lines beginning
with #?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

| My original hosts file copy has gone missing. I was tinkering with
things
| because I couldn't get Host Toggle to work correctly after running the
.bat
| file for the latest Mike Burgess update to the hosts file. Can I just
make
| another basic hosts file? I deleted a bunch of files pertaining to
Hosts
| Toggle and a bunch of zip files that I thought were associated with the
| downloads for the program, and managed to get a black screen with a
blinking
| cursor. I did a system restore and am up and running.
|
| TIA
| Pam
|
| running XP Pro

David Candy

Yes. Just needs one line
127.0.0.1 localhost
The other lines are comments. # means ignore line.

Rather than use Mike's (after all does he visit your web sites - do you visit the tens of thousands of his) just right click anything you want to block and add it to the hosts.

You need the full name before the directories.

So
www.news.com.au
is different (for hosts) to
news.com.au

even though both are the same site.

These are the ad servers on Australian newspapers

127.0.0.1 mercury.tiser.com.au
127.0.0.1 saturn.tiser.co.au
127.0.0.1 ad2.pamedia.com.au
127.0.0.1 ds.serving-sys.com
127.0.0.1 bs.serving-sys.com
127.0.0.1 ad.sensismediasmart.com.au
127.0.0.1 secure-au.imrworldwide.com
127.0.0.1 adsfac.net
127.0.0.1 adsrv.news.com.au
127.0.0.1 download.macromedia.com
127.0.0.1 ffxcam.smh.com.au
127.0.0.1 fdimages.fairfax.com.au
127.0.0.1 ads.fairfax.com.au
127.0.0.1 a248.e.akamai.net
144.135.8.169 www.news.com.au
203.26.51.42 www.smh.com.au
203.26.51.42 smh.com.au
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
144.135.8.169 www.theaustralian.news.com.au
127.0.0.1 adsvr.adknowledge.com
127.0.0.1 web.adknowledge.com
127.0.0.1 network.realmedia.com
127.0.0.1 services.google.com
127.0.0.1 f2nsmh.112.2o7.net
203.26.51.42 www.theage.com.au

Wesley Vogel

There is a copy of the original HOSTS file on your XP CD.

\I386\HOSTS

This is the contents of the original HOSTS file from the XP CD...
Everything is remmed out except 127.0.0.1 localhost

------------below the line---------------
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

---------------above the line----------------

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Pammyam

David, thank you so much for the how-to and the great information.
Sorry to be dense, but where do I right click and add to hosts? Do you mean
just rt click and copy and paste?
I can no longer get Hosts Toggle to work for some reason, so I want to use
your solution.
Pam

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
[...]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/iron-bar-attack-an-accident/2006/04/13/1144521445567.html

There is a display ad in the body of the article. If you r/c it then properties you will see a url of (you may see a different one to me).
http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/864800/easter_300x250_smh.gif

Select it in the dialog (you can even though it looks like you can't), r/c the selection and Copy.

Type in Start Run (start run will remember what you typed so you can use Start Run to quickly open hosts in future)
notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Paste into Hosts and edit the line
so

http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/864800/easter_300x250_smh.gif

becomes

127.0.0.1 ad.au.doubleclick.net

No more Australian dbl click ads.

You can see from my previous post that there's only 20 odd ad servers I come across in my normal browsing. So you end up doing this 20 odd times over a week and then only when the ad companies slightly change their server names (one every few months).