horsemeat problem ... "a labelling issue"

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
60% horse meat, 100% horse meat ... Findus initially described the horse meat problem as simply "a labelling issue" ... don't you just love the "marketing" of our foodstuffs. :lol:

So, who here would have batted an eyelid if your Lasagne had been clearly marked 100% horse meat? :)

chocolate cockroaches anyone? lots of protein. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I also loved the way the Romanian PM initially accepted that abbatoirs in his part of the world had substituted Dobbin meat for Daisy the cow meat then the next day vehemently denied it and said he was very angry about the accusations.

Of course we trust this fellow - stout chap :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
So, who here would have batted an eyelid if your Lasagne had been clearly marked 100% horse meat? :)

chocolate cockroaches anyone? lots of protein. :cool:

I wouldn't be concerned about eating horsemeat. I've done it in France and found it very pleasant. :)

As to eating insects, I've seen it done many times in the Far East but I wouldn't do it out of choice. It's all in the mind but my mind would not take to eating insects. :eek:
Luckily here in the West we have plenty of choices as to what we eat but in some places they will eat anything at all, often because there is nothing else. Sometimes it's insects or starve.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

+1

I've had horse, its not bad. I've also had Crocodile, Zebra and Reindeer amongst other things (We have an 'exotic' restaurant near here) I'd try anything once. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've eaten crocodile, kangaroo, frogs legs and I think that's about it as far as 'exotic' foods go.

Aren't prawns and shrimps kinda ocean insects?

If it tastes goood and the texture's ok, I'll eat it.

Those who eat chicken, lamb, beef and pork yet refuse horse, dog, cat or anything that was once living are kinda hypocritical imo.

I went veggie for 6 years, I know I've said that before but it really was ok, apart from a few probs eating out.

But since me medical probs and current state of play it really would be impractical for me to go veggie again, it's a hard enough job just consuming food and getting the required amount of energy now. Ho hum.

Reaction score
I think the big issue is that if horse meat is in a meal called beef spag bog is the rest of the label describing what is in the meal reliable e.g chemicals, calories etc etc. I think not!! It is not just Romania it is also the UK, a horse abattoir has been closed down and all IT and paperwork has been taken away for investigation, no smoke, no fire:(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
well I'm glad to see we here at PCReview will survive any "meat" shortages that may pop up in the near future ... they do say we won't be able to feed the Worlds 9billion population in some 20years time with the more "traditional" meats.

Meat is meat, as a meat eater I'm really not squeamish at what name we gave it before roasting.

You really should be looking at your daily bread. :)

:user:

Ask a Question