Home Page addy-unwanted & can't get rid of it

TomT

After a recent security update from Windows for IE6 I got
an unwanted visitor...a new home page link. This is the
address that comes up when I click on IE:
res://erckp.dll/index.html#37049
It appears in the registry in numerous places as well and
I have tried to remove/replace it with the correct
registry entries. My normal home page is Google.com which
I set in the Tools section of IE6, but after closing IE
and restarting, the one above appears again. I have tried
all of the SpyBots, Adawares and Hijack and to no avail,
this link keeps reappearing.
Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to get rid of this?
Thanks in advance

Don Varnau

Hi,
Run CWShredder http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html you
may be lucky enough to have the variety that's easy to remove. (Alternate
site for CWShredder http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip)

If that doesn't resolve the problem, work through these links:
Ad-aware, with the latest updates, has fixed this for some users
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
Also see: SWI Forums - res--random.dll-random.html#random:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=8847

Other possible solutions (this is sometimes not easy one to remove)
AumHa Forums- res [random].dll-sp.html CWS Variant:
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=6207
Removing the AboutBlank Virus
http://www.akadia.com/services/about_blank_virus.html
Computer Cops - aboutblank:
http://computercops.biz/article-5199-nested-0-0.html
The UNINSTALL link at http://195.190.118.131/ has worked for some users.
AboutBlank- DaniWeb computer support:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5531.html
ZerosRealm - AboutBlank:
http://www.zerosrealm.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107

Security tips and other useful information at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Hope this helps,
Don

This did not work the first time I tried it...finally
gave up. I think there are too many unidentifiable files
involved and unless you know what is good or bad, you
chance making a bigger system mess. Remain perplexed.

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

.