Home networking problem.

Reaction score
I have a small home network setup using a workgroup to connect 2 computers via a Dlink switch. I had some share or privilege issues, but nothing I couldn't work around for my purpose. I've now acquired a Lexmark network printer and it requires an IP address to work properly ( at least I can only get it to work with one). Changing my settings to accommodate the printer has caused me to not be able to "see" one computer from the other computer. The 3 devices are using 169.254.0.1 (PC1) 169.254.0.2 (PC2) and 169.254.0.3 (PRT1). I can print across the network from either PC, I can ping either PC or printer sucessfully with IP address, but using the name on the workgroup fails. I cannot see, therefore I cannot share folders and files. What am I missing?

Part II...

If, on PC2, I enter the IP address and drive to map - \\169.254.0.1\c - I can map that drive (from PC2 to PC1). However I can't map PC1 to PC 2 the same way. Also, I can discover my network named computers under my workgroup on PC1, but on PC2 the workgroup is unavailable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
va eyou tried resetting your switch, are the any admin panels to the switch where you can check yhe DHCP table??

Reaction score
TheGun said:
va eyou tried resetting your switch, are the any admin panels to the switch where you can check yhe DHCP table??

Oh, many times. :) No administration features....

Reaction score
minimustangs said:
Didn't bother stetting it up... just let it "discover" via workgroup.

The IP address don't look right to me for small home networks the IP address should start with 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.100

What i would do is start again,

Assign static IP's to the two computers one using 192.168.1.100 and the other 192.168.1.101

make sure your two computersa have different names but on the same workgroup

once you have done that connect your internet and get the networking wizards to configure the two computers to share and receieve the internet, making sure you enable print and file sharing. then see if they talk to one and other.

If not make sure the guest account is enabled and see if you can ping each computer and try connectig to each computer via \\IPADDRESS\ and see which computer can see which one from clicking the workgroup.

If not turn both computers off then reset your router then turn each computer on one by one (starting with 192.1687.1.100), this should reset the DHCP table in your switch as most switches/hubs have NAT,DNS,DHCP in them set to autoconfig and dont like change.

Dont add the printer just yet as not to add to the confusion if it dont work.

If its still not talking to each other then we will look into something more techincal.

Ask a Question