High CPU usage

RCB

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Windows XP media edition. I have had
this computer about 6 months with no issues. Suddenly, when I started
the computer today, the CPU usage ran at almost 100% all the time. I
contacted Dell and they had me start the computer in safe mode, and the
CPU usage stayed near zero. Dell said it was a software problem and
they could not help without a charge. I went into the task manager and
found the process using the CPU was "MSKSrvr.exe". When I stopped that
process, the CPU usage drops to normal. when I shutdown and reboot,
MSKSrvr.exe returns and the usage us abnormally high again. Can
someone tell me what that process is and how to correct the problem
causing the high CPU usage? Thanks.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

MSKSrvr.exe - Process Information
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/MSKSrvr/

What is MSKSrvr.exe?
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/msksrvr.exe.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Windows XP media edition. I have had
| this computer about 6 months with no issues. Suddenly, when I started
| the computer today, the CPU usage ran at almost 100% all the time. I
| contacted Dell and they had me start the computer in safe mode, and the
| CPU usage stayed near zero. Dell said it was a software problem and
| they could not help without a charge. I went into the task manager and
| found the process using the CPU was "MSKSrvr.exe". When I stopped that
| process, the CPU usage drops to normal. when I shutdown and reboot,
| MSKSrvr.exe returns and the usage us abnormally high again. Can
| someone tell me what that process is and how to correct the problem
| causing the high CPU usage? Thanks.
| --
| RCB

Rock

RCB said:
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Windows XP media edition. I have had
this computer about 6 months with no issues. Suddenly, when I started
the computer today, the CPU usage ran at almost 100% all the time. I
contacted Dell and they had me start the computer in safe mode, and the
CPU usage stayed near zero. Dell said it was a software problem and
they could not help without a charge. I went into the task manager and
found the process using the CPU was "MSKSrvr.exe". When I stopped that
process, the CPU usage drops to normal. when I shutdown and reboot,
MSKSrvr.exe returns and the usage us abnormally high again. Can
someone tell me what that process is and how to correct the problem
causing the high CPU usage? Thanks.

Google is a useful tool. A search for msksrver.exe gives this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=MSKSrvr.exe&btnG=Search

It's associated with McAfee spam killer. Contact their tech support, or
try uninstalling / reinstalling it.

lvee

it's part of McAfee spam-killer, it runs in the background, like real time
scanning.
It is recommended that you not disable it, but I would..or at least I would
stop it form running in services.msc, or at least set it to manual.
to get to services.msc,
start>run.type in

services.msc

Gerry Cornell

Was McAfee SpamKiller bought with Dell computer? What version is it?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jim

lvee said:
it's part of McAfee spam-killer, it runs in the background, like real time
scanning.
It is recommended that you not disable it, but I would..or at least I
would stop it form running in services.msc, or at least set it to manual.
to get to services.msc,
start>run.type in

services.msc
Yet another reason to dislike McAfee...
Jim

RCB

RCB said:
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Windows XP media edition. I have had
this computer about 6 months with no issues. Suddenly, when I started
the computer today, the CPU usage ran at almost 100% all the time. I
contacted Dell and they had me start the computer in safe mode, and the
CPU usage stayed near zero. Dell said it was a software problem and
they could not help without a charge. I went into the task manager and
found the process using the CPU was "MSKSrvr.exe". When I stopped that
process, the CPU usage drops to normal. when I shutdown and reboot,
MSKSrvr.exe returns and the usage us abnormally high again. Can
someone tell me what that process is and how to correct the problem
causing the high CPU usage? Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I tried sveral approaches but could
not get McAfee Spam Killer to switch from automatic to manual. It could
not be removed or stopped in services.msc. When I would restart my
computer, MSKSrvr.exe would return and CPU usage would be 100%. I
finally just uninstalled McAfee Spam Killer and my CPU usage returned
to normal. The McAfee site was of no help.

Gerry Cornell

RCB

Thanks for reporting back. What was the version of McAfee Spam Killer
you were using?

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
months.
RCB

Gerry Cornell

RCB

CPU version seems to be an unresolved McAfee problem.

Found this post in their Forums.

The work-around has been posted elsewhere shortly after SK7
released.
To get the MSKSRV to stop hogging memory, you must MOVE all your
inbox sub-folders [or messages if you don't have subfolders'] from under
"inbox" to under "Local folders".

The easiest way to do this is click on the subfolder, go to File,
Move, and select local folders.

This way the MSKSRV file doesn't try to re-index everything in the
inbox as you move around -- because you won't have anything in the inbox
folder-- just in the "local folders"!

I admit it's a lousy solution -- but it works.

Bill

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jerad1

I have had this problem off and on with Mcafee Spam Killer on my
computer:
Windows 2k (latest service pack)
1.7 GHz
512 mb
40 GB

My CPU would run at 99% sometimes, making my computer grind to a snails
pace. After checking Task Manager, I found out it was MSKSRVR.EXE that
was eating up all the processor time. I tried
uninstalling/reinstalling, called Mcafee tech support, tried moving
Inbox Sub-folders, nothing worked EXCEPT Uninstalling Spamkiller.

I hate spam, BUT I ALSO NEED TO USE MY COMPUTER!!!.

I am very dissapointed in the lack of action by Mcafee. I talked to a
couple of unknowledgeable "tech support" people (obviously in India)
and did a couple of "live chat" support sessions and nothing worked.

Does anyone have an alternative "Spam Killer" that they could
recommend? I am currently shopping for one. I will not use anything
from Norton, though ;)

Jerry

Gerry said:
[...]

Some ISP offer facilities. Mine is BY Yahoo with Spamguard. Offsite so
know programme running background to create problems.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry