Hibernate or sleep

Harmon Koeltz

Hi
Running a notebook with Vista Home Premium. Did a disk cleanup and
noticed I had about 2gig of Hibernate files. I left them alone but don't
really understand hibernate vs sleep and whether to keep or delete these
files.
Suggestions

TIA

Harmon

Michael

Harmon,

Hibernate saves your current system and turns off all power. Should be used
in a notebook that will be on battery.
Sleep does almost the same but keeps some items powered up so that it can
detect keyboard/mouse activity and wake up.

Waking up from sleep is very fast, waking up from hibernate is fast. Power
saving in either mode is substantial, but it does use some in sleep mode.
If you have your unpluged laptop in sleep mode and you leave it that way for
a long time it will eventualy (a day or so maybe) runout of power. When that
happens it MAY (depending on various power settings) try to hibernate and
shut down. Sometime there is not enought power to sucessfully do that and
data loss and possible file system problems may occure. When you power it
back up you will likely receive a warning that it was not properly shutdown
and it will test itself.

Michael

GTS

I think you're confusing sleep (which is new in Vista) and standby. Sleep
combines the features of standby and hibernate. When you go into sleep
mode the hibernate file is updated and then the machine remains in standby.
If it runs out of power while in sleep mode, when it is turned back on it
acts as if it were returning from hibernate. This prevents the "data loss
and possible file system problems" that might happen after running out of
power while in traditional standby.
Sleep is a significant improvement (one of the few notable enhancements
in Vista).

Harmon Koeltz

Harmon Koeltz said:
Hi
Running a notebook with Vista Home Premium. Did a disk cleanup and
noticed I had about 2gig of Hibernate files. I left them alone but don't
really understand hibernate vs sleep and whether to keep or delete these
files.
Suggestions

TIA

Harmon
So if I leave things alone, will the hibernate file continue to grow in
size? What if I use sleep mode?

TIA

Harmon

Michael

I think what you describe is 'hybrid sleep' which I think is default enabled
(at least on my machine) but can be turned off. It is a major improvement in
power handling.

Michael

aside: OP asked if the hibernate file grows. No, it is overwritten.

David

--
I think you are confusing hybrid sleep with sleep. :)

Dave

dean-dean

No, I wouldn't use the Disk Cleanup tool to delete the hiberfil.sys file.
That file remains fairly static in size, and if you use Disk Cleanup to
delete it, hibernate will no longer be available on your notebook. Disk
Cleanup, under the Description section for that entry, warns you as to what
will happen. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929658

GTS

David said:
I think you are confusing hybrid sleep with sleep. :)

Dave

You're right. Hybrid sleep is usually enabled by default on machines
purchased with Vista, but plain sleep is an improved version of standby.
Thanks for the correction.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Harmon,
The hibernation file will not grow in size, it will remain the same
size(roughly the size of RAM in your system)
When the machine hibernates, what is loaded in RAM is saved out to disk in
the hiberfil.sys so the RAM in the machine is not required to be powered up
saving battery life.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Harmon Koeltz" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Hibernate or sleep
|> Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 11:39:29 -0400
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance

|> > Running a notebook with Vista Home Premium. Did a disk cleanup and
|> > noticed I had about 2gig of Hibernate files. I left them alone but
don't
|> > really understand hibernate vs sleep and whether to keep or delete
these
|> > files.
|> > Suggestions
|> >
|> > TIA
|> >
|> > Harmon
|> So if I leave things alone, will the hibernate file continue to grow in
|> size? What if I use sleep mode?
|>
|> TIA
|>
|> Harmon

Sleep...
ordinary sleep....
hybrid sleep.....
hibernate.....
?!?!?

OK is there really a definition of each of these, and which one(s) is VISTA
actually using

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
This link should explain them:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/335c6a5d-0304-4af1-b135-
6bf6c124dc111033.mspx#EOMAC

Windows Vista can use any of them, all of them, or none of them.
What is available on any one system is dependant on the hardware, hardware
settings, the installed drivers, the installed software of the system
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?VklTVEFfQk9Z?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Hibernate or sleep
|> Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 06:41:01 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|>
|> Sleep...
|> ordinary sleep....
|> hybrid sleep.....
|> hibernate.....
|> ?!?!?
|>
|> OK is there really a definition of each of these, and which one(s) is
VISTA
|> actually using
|>

|> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
|>
|> > Hello Harmon,
|> > The hibernation file will not grow in size, it will remain the same
|> > size(roughly the size of RAM in your system)
|> > When the machine hibernates, what is loaded in RAM is saved out to
disk in
|> > the hiberfil.sys so the RAM in the machine is not required to be
powered up
|> > saving battery life.
|> > Thanks,
|> > Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|> >
|> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|> > --------------------

|> > don't
|> > these

Michael, I know I'm a bit late on the discussion but if you can answer my
question on sleep and hibernate on a PC, I would be grateful. If I try to
close down using sleep, my machine starts up again straight away. When I use
shutdown, the screen shows -going into sleep mode- and the system switches
off. ie I have to push the button on the tower to switch it on again. Am I
missing something? I have a horrible feeling that a lot of things have to be
in agreement in various places on the computer programs.

Maureen

Michael

There are several things that restart the computer. Mouse movement (some
wireless units seem to constantly chatter so system restarts almost at
once). Keyboard, I have seen some reports that some wireless keyboards also
keep waking the computer. System scheduled tasks, that should restart at
consistent time of day. And internet cards, which should start up the
computer soon but at random delays.

Some software prevents the system from sleeping at all but I am not aware of
software that restarts from sleep (if not scheduled by the system
scheduler).

As I am not sure the pattern of 'starts up straight away' my recommendations
are a bit vague.

Unplug the internet cable from your tower, try sleep mode. If that works
then there are easy solutions.

If you have wireless mouse/keyboard, see if you can borrow a wired unit to
use and see if that works. Solutions here are a bit more difficult and I
don't have wireless so someone else will have to assist.

I thought that 'shutdown' showed a message about preparing to shutdown, a
message that has 'sleep' in it seems wrong to me.
Having shutdown, yes you have to push the button on the tower to get going
again. Also from a shutdown you will need to go thru the whole startup
programs delay and login again.

Michael

I'm using a wireless mouse and I have also experienced that the laptop
restarts and the screensaver doesn't start unless I disconnect the wireless
mouse..I hope this helps you.

My desktop computer only has sleep mode. When my computer goes into sleep,
it doesn't wake up and I have to turn it off manually and turn it back on. I
talked to a Dell tech support guy and he said it was a bug in the new Windows
Vista program. He had me change my settings so my computer would not go into
sleep automatically after a certain period of time. Is this something
Microsoft is going to fix? I hate not being able to put my computer into
sleep when I'm not using it.

Rogue

A few questions:
Did you buy your computer with vista, Installed it clean, or upgraded?
When you say "Only has sleep mode" do you mean that it will not hibernate,
cannot hibernate, gives you an error message, or is not available on the
start menu?
What settings did Dell support tell you to change

There are two updates from Microsoft that may help you:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600

32-Bit download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DAB2055A-EB6B-40E3-AE83-5200B7EF497B

64-Bit download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A7AC2F4D-E66C-4B1C-BBDA-1C6A9F18B14C

One of the fixes may be related to your problem
hope this helps.

Dean-dean
I cleanup the hiberfil.sys file and the hibernate mode is no more avzailable.
Is it possible to restaure it?
If it is, how?
Thanks,
Luc