HGV/LGV or PCV Licence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Has anyone got HGV/LGV or PCV?
If so do you understand the new Driver CPC & Training?

Reaction score
It's currently an EC directive and no training is in place yet.
But you can be sure it will cost plenty of ££££
It will effect all within C1, C, C+E & Buses + anyone who has a licence after 1997 who wants to drive over 3.5 tons!
And feckit your driving history on big things will be a secret between Me & Murdoch unless we get offered ££££:D

Reaction score
Im an HGV/LGV driver and we were told that it starts from 2009, for existing drivers.
Many are worried as some drivers have no formal secondary school qualifications and think this CPC exam will be to complicated for them.

It is, i believe already being implemented in France and Holland, and they think its reduced the amount of accidents/problems.

Having to renew both the HGV and CPC every 5 years is going to be tough, then theres the cost and how or who is going to pay.

Many may give up ,as its not really well paid to begin with, and having to do a cpc if your only a casual or part time driver may be the final straw.

Reaction score
DVLA told me i have upto 2011 to do the 35 hours CPC training.
But as Exmoor mentioned it's not going to be up running in the UK till 2009.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some drivers who have held their licence before 1997 will get "Grandfather" right's and not have to take the CPC until 2011. But as the CPC can be taken in modules over 2 years it is probably safer and prudent to do it his way in case you fail a module.

Of course hopefully this will mean that some of those left handers from Europe will be trained to the same standard as the rest of us and will not cause so many accidents on the M25 etc!

Reaction score
My current License is not up for renewal untill 2012, and i hope i dont have to think about it till around that time hopefully.
I think the whole system is to be implemented across the EU, but like everthing the will always be ways of getting round it, like Ukranian drivers in Polish registered vehicles etc.

The next 5 to 10 years could be a bumpy ride, for the UK transport industry,(if it wasnt already), many casualties along the road, and a few old hands not able to meet technical requirements.

Reaction score
garyten are you 45 in 2012 then?
If so you will have to 2012 to get yourself re qualified and most people i know are going to start it 18 to 12 months before they need to.

Reaction score
lapsed licence ,is a retest needed??

feckit said:
Has anyone got HGV/LGV or PCV?
If so do you understand the new Driver CPC & Training?

Very disturbing all this cpc nonsense, typical eec meddling if you ask me, whatnext i ask. Anyway can anyone answer this for me? My pcv licence lapsed in Aug 2004, not used it since, so if i went back to busbending (sorry driving), would i have to face a new driving test or would an over 45's medical be sufficient to get it renewed.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Reaction score
A company could HGV academy explained everything they even took me to a couple oficial sites that gave me an understanding of the cpc.

Basically CPC doesnt come into play until september 2009 it is currently inplace for pcv drivers, it is a extra case study plus a practical group demonstration. 35 hours over 7 years. it is nothing to be worried about.

Reaction score
Are you trying to Spam my thread?

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I doubt it, there are no links and its valid to mention where the info came from.

- but this thread is way old now so I'm closing it anyway :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question