HELP

Ben LloydChristmas

My friend was changing her user accounts and went to
Limited accounts and changed her user name and password,
then she restared her computer and when she signed on
again she couldnt get in to the welcome screen. The
password wasnt the same as what she had it. Can anyone
help me?

pauly [MSFT]

Hi Ben,

Have your friend log on as the default administrator or a user with
administrative access and reset the password in Computer Management.

281992 Original Administrator Account Does Not Appear During Friendly Logon
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281992

POSSIBLE STEPS:

Windows XP Pro:
1. At the log-in screen, press Ctrl/Alt/Del twice quickly
2. For user type "Administrator"

Windows XP Home:
1. Reboot, tapping F8 each second.
2. Select Safe Mode at the menu.
3. Select Administrator,

Password:
1. Leave password blank.
2. Try obvious passwords such "password" a Maiden name, child's name or
pet name.

If you are able to log in,
1. go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
2. Select the user and change the password.

NOTE: If you are using Windows XP Pro and have encrypted data, you may
permanently lose access to the encrypted data.

If the administrator password is lost, forgotten, or unknown, access to the
computer may not be obtainable and the operating system may need to be
reinstalled.

There may be an unsupported method of recovering your password, which you
might find documented on the Internet, but it would be irresponsible from a
security standpoint to document these methods here.

MORE INFORMATION:

189126 Microsoft's Policy Regarding Missing or Invalid Passwords
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=189126

321305 How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your
Password Expired
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321305

Jupiter Jones' Security Site:
Steps Lost / Forgotten / Expired Passwords
[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

--------------------
| From: "Ben (e-mail address removed)"
<[email protected]>
| Subject: HELP
| Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:41:22 -0800
|
| My friend was changing her user accounts and went to
| Limited accounts and changed her user name and password,
| then she restared her computer and when she signed on
| again she couldnt get in to the welcome screen. The
| password wasnt the same as what she had it. Can anyone
| help me?

BUT the information is all still there. I think/hope

Long story short, installed APC's biopod, which wouldn't allow me to use it with the original administrator account (which wasn't password controlled), so I created a new admin. account, which WOULD work with biopod, and after some set of trial and error "fixes" to get biopod to work with my new account, SOMEhow I wound up deleting the original admin account. After all, the new account had access to everything from the old account as I hadn't rebooted yet

Then I did

I got the original Gateway desktop, about half the information/programs on it I was used to, NO access to my email program's settings, and try as I would I couldn't do a system restore operation (as I'm not logged on as the original administrator, but the new administrator, I think), being ever so clever I figured out a way of disabling the NEW admin account, enabling the old account (sort of) and now when I log on I get this message

SPRINGFLD_ADV_DAEMON: WksCal.exe entry point not found
X (circled) The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DL

I get "my" desktop now but again, I don't have ANY access to outlook's default files (although I DO have IE favorites, history and so on), WMP 9.0 won't play anything as it's telling me I don't have the most recent version .3xx

Before I do anything more drastic, any ideas? Questions

I've disabled biopod I can't do any more damage

regedit shows the old admin account as active, but where are the files located from the (deleted) account? I know XP doesn't ever throw anything away, and I HAD done a restore point prior to installing the biopod, but I can't get back there from here and Win update wants to install about 47 services, updates and drivers from years prior

Vague, but I'm an amateur hacker, not a programmer

thanks in advance

email to: (e-mail address removed), I can log on to my provider and access mail indirectly there

-Norm