Help with installing bios for intel board.

OK, I just bought a 200gb HD and the board is only reading 123gb of it. There
has been a few suggestiong (the only suggestions) that the bios needs to be
update. So, I went to intel.com and downloaded the bios updates for an intel
D845wn board. But after I download it, and try to run the iflash
executable... it takes me to what looks like DOS, but I can't type anything
and the bios doesn't update. Bios version is HV84510A.86A.0018.P04 right now.
What am I doing wrong, and how do I update my bios.

Jerry

Read the motherboard manual. It has explicit insrtuctions on flashing the
BIOS; which is usually done in real-mode DOS.

Bob Knowlden

I doubt that this is the best newsgroup for this sort of question, but...

See www.intel.com. The release notes for the latest BIOS update are
available as an Adobe Acrobat document:

ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/6144/ENG/P15-0050.pdf

You'll find a reference to one BIOS update adding 48 bit LBA support, which
is what you need for a large hard drive. It's present in BIOS revisions
P08-0031 and later. If I understand your BIOS code correctly, you have some
P04 revision.

The instructions for updating the BIOS are here:

http://support.intel.com/design/motherbd/standardbios.htm

Unfortunately, I think that the instructions for the Iflash version are
partially wrong.

Two different types of upgrade utility are here:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...tID=664&OSFullName=Windows+NT*+4.0&submit=Go!

(link may wrap)

If you're downloading the Iflash version:

ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/6144/eng/hv86ap15bi.exe

It appears that you'll have to make a Dos-type boot floppy yourself. (In
XP, format the floppy with the "create an MS-DOS startup floppy" options
checked.) Then, extract the contents of hv86ap15bi.exe to the floppy. When
you boot the machine using the floppy, it will execute Iflash. Exactly what
happens then, I'm not sure - I don't have a test machine. I believe that it
will complete the flash with little or no input from you.

If you wish to flash from within Windows, get the Intel Express version:

ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/6145/eng/hv86ap15eb.exe

It looks like the express BIOS update may be easier to use. However, I have
always done BIOS updates from DOS, believing that it's safer.

Also, you will want a DOS BIOS upgrade floppy anyway, so that you can use
the BIOS recovery procedure if something goes wrong with the flash.

Flashing the BIOS is recommended only if it does something you need, because
there is a small risk that the BIOS would be not updated properly, rendering
the machine unbootable. (The Intel BIOS recovery procedure may get rid of
some of the risk.) However, it appears that you need the update.

You may also need to read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

"How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives
in Windows XP".

Good luck..

Jim Macklin

The Intel Express BIOS works great and has some protection
built-in. If you are going to update an Intel mobo that has
the option of using the Express version, it is faster and
easier to use.

The one issue with any BIOS upgrade is that you need to have
a uninterruptible power supply, since a power failure can
cause all manner of problems.

wrote in message
| | > OK, I just bought a 200gb HD and the board is only
reading 123gb of it.
| > There
| > has been a few suggestiong (the only suggestions) that
the bios needs to
| > be
| > update. So, I went to intel.com and downloaded the bios
updates for an
| > intel
| > D845wn board. But after I download it, and try to run
the iflash
| > executable... it takes me to what looks like DOS, but I
can't type
| > anything
| > and the bios doesn't update. Bios version is
HV84510A.86A.0018.P04 right
| > now.
| > What am I doing wrong, and how do I update my bios.

Alex Nichol

Mitsukai212 said:
OK, I just bought a 200gb HD and the board is only reading 123gb of it. There
has been a few suggestiong (the only suggestions) that the bios needs to be
update. So, I went to intel.com and downloaded the bios updates for an intel
D845wn board. But after I download it, and try to run the iflash
executable... it takes me to what looks like DOS, but I can't type anything
and the bios doesn't update

To update a BIOS you will need to make a DOS bootable floppy (in XP My
Computer, right click the drive, Format, and check 'MSDOS Startup disk)

Add to that the downloaded flash program and the data file, making sure
it is right for your motherboard. Get it from the makers of the board
rather than Intel (unless it is one of their boards). Then boot the
floppy and give the name of the flash program to run it.

First use the option to backup the present BIOS. Then the one top
flash, pointing at the downloaded data file. If there is the slightest
suggestion this did not work fully successfully, *do not* reboot. Run
the program again to restore the backup.

Your problem is that a disk that size has to use '48 bit LBA' to have
enough bits to number every sector on disk individually. Aside from the
BIOS that means having XP with at least Service Pack 1 installed. Then
you can partition and format the drive from XP - Control Panel - Admin
Tools - Computer Management, select Disk Management and look lower right
for the graphic of the drive. R-click 'Unallocated space' and cerate
partition. If there is one there already, r-click that and delete it
first

If installing XP fresh to such a drive I think you may only be able to
make a limited size partition. But you should not use more than about
16 to 20GB for the system and programs anyway. Make a partition that
size in Setup, and once the system is up and running, make the rest of
the disk into a second one, as above (not of course deleting the
partition with XP on it)