Help welcomed for A-Level IT Coursework

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
oh bugger that ... get Linux for free and earn some extra brownie points from the "board".
:p

err... Exam boards don't even know the definition of ADSL - they are still in the dark ages, asking about Dial Up in the exam papers. Im not joking.

Therefore i highly doubt any them would know anything about Linux...

"Whats a Linux... a new type of vegetable?!"
Examiners suck

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
"Whats a Linux... a new type of vegetable?!"
Examiners suck

definetly i agree

I wonder if we have any type of examiners of this calibre amongst us?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well if I was Chris, I would be emailing you my papers for you ... don't forget to change the name though. :thumb:

Oh, and I bet you get the better marks too.

My old lecturer in computer studies always said "if somebody has already written it ... pinch it" mind you, he was on about programming in Pascal. ;)

:D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
My old lecturer in computer studies always said "if somebody has already written it ... pinch it" mind you, he was on about programming in Pascal. ;)

We go by that rule in our class. One person wrote the entire Pascal 7 program then quit college. Leaving his Coursework! Sweet.

Pascal Sucks. Programming sucks!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
We go by that rule in our class. One person wrote the entire Pascal 7 program then quit college. Leaving his Coursework! Sweet.

Pascal Sucks. Programming sucks!
Pascal is just a "school tool" to help teach you something about programming ... really stupid idea though, as nobody actually uses Pascal in the Wild.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Well if I was Chris, I would be emailing you my papers for you ... don't forget to change the name though. :thumb:

Oh, and I bet you get the better marks too.

what u think chris? lol

oh, and i would get better marks, weve had that with norm al homework :D

Reaction score
I think I'm mistaken but I some how don't see this project as super difficult. We got a guy who is a part time DJ, who like to mess aroung with grafix and stuff. But he's on a realistic budget. SO how grafix intense is he??

Here's my guess at this
-AMD64 3400+ 939 -- AMD is definately the best for perfomance per dollar. This processesor is mid range new gen and will definatley allow for audio conversions as well as some intense playlists with great sound and graffix

-1GB Kingston Ram or Geil Value or something simialar

-I think even an FX5500 will handle his video needs.. I have one and it can even handle most games at reduced settings. But if neccesary a Gforce 6600 will be plenty. Plus they both have S-Video out so he can hook it up to a tv unit or projector.

-Like Mucks said... go with a quailty board and a decent PSU. I like ASUS too... but there are others so don't limit to one brand. The PSU needs to be of some qulity because a shoddy one will ruin your hardwre. Also... if you get a really nice board with a 5.1 intenal sound card... well you just saved yourself some cash...

-Definately forget about the combo drives... A DL +/- RW is or at least will be standard, plus you can get a liteon fairly cheap and they perform great in my opinion.

-Software... tons of free DJ software. I dunno I like WinAmp to play my audio.. and if your good enough with the program you can use it to dj... you can set fade in and fade out as well as overlap. Also it has some really trippy pluggins like Milkdrop that you can project.They follow the beat and can do various things like display song title and maker.. or a custom image. Also .. I'm thinkin there is a plugin for winamp where you can actually load some of your own images and it will incorporate it in.(this could lead to an hour discussion so I will stop here)

-Case... I say if hes a DJ he wants a really cool looking case but this can be done easily. I would pick up a less expensive case with a side window($25.00-$30.00) One one side he can slap on his logo.. and the other he can put in some UV CCs and LED fans or whatever. In my opinon... if going to a club or house party... spay paint the entire case with some UV responsive paints. They make kinds that are almost unoticable is normal light and glow great in UV. With a self made template(or a freind who just so happens to have some skills) You could actually "Tag" your case with your name and number or email address. No better way to advertise than to self advertise.

Am I missing something? Is this what the project would be like. Just have to add part numbers and prices right?.... I'm thinking this pc could be built for bout$800.00 USD, maybe less.. And some time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
no, it is not, but i dont have much knowledge, and to get the marks i need/want it has to be really well done and worded using 'non technical' language, :confused: the exam dont know anything seriously stupid people

Reaction score
If you want kudos for pragmatism, why not get a socket 939 AMD sempron processor? This will be cheap, and apt for office use - but will also leave that user with room to upgrade to a much faster processor in the future. More significantly, it will mean that the PC won't be made superfluous when the 64bit version of windows arives - The examiners like that kind of thinking.

Although I barely scraped a pass for that course. I smoked too much at the time...

Reaction score
Ok, more help needed on this now, but it will require more one-to-one with someone. what i have now had to do is create a spreadsheet in excel,with the custom pc on the front page, then loads more tabs with different parts, i.e. hard drives, ram, processors.

What i need is someone to have a look (will have to pm then gain e-mail addy, then e-mail to whoever) and i need to add a graphics card tab, and i have only really chosen 2 motherboards, so i need to get a good few different quality and price ranges for them, also to ensure ther compatible.

so...does any1 have a lot of time going spare?

many thanks.....:thumb:

Reaction score
Ya can get a very good TV card for around $50 or less without a remote control. Google and shop around.

I have 2 cards and 1 USB TV and I'm happy with the Hauppauge continuous software updates.

http://www.hauppauge.com/

I use these cards with

Windows ME-XP

And now Linux SUSE

AMD socket A

Nvidia and ATI. video cards.

Oh it doent require an expensive gammer video card for TV or video editing.

Video editing is expensive ya need a dual processor with as much memory as ya can get. If ya have a limited $ skip on the editing part. Just recording video is less expensive, video in any format takes a lot of hard drive space ya might think about a dvd burner.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TECHGUNS said:
Video editing is expensive ya need a dual processor with as much memory as ya can get.

You don't actually need a dual processor, but it helps.

I do video editing quite ok with an XP3200 Socket A based system.

Would agree that the more memory the better.

Reaction score
Ya can do is with a single chip but ya will be waitin a long time just to do 15 min of special effects.

Ask a Question