Help solve an arguement

Reaction score
I need help solving an arguement.
Lets say we have a computer running Vista Ultimate. System Specs are irrelevant. But say said computer dies for whatever reason and needs Vista to be re-installed. So you go ahead format and re-install Vista.

Now the arguement is as follows. My mate reckons emediately after performing the instal you should go ahead and do a defrag of your drive.. I say no, as it is a fresh install and could even be a fresh instal on a new HDD...Am I right or is he..? Please say me, lol there is a £50 bet at stake here...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What 'file format' are you gonna use? ... don't try it on an SSD. :p

I believe there would be no real benefit in performing a defrag on a newly installed OS ... however, I've never bothered to evaluate it.

This is what I call, a punitive argument. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
I agree with you and Mucks on this there is no benefit in performing defrag on a fresh install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have never ever, nor have I ever, ever done or heard of anyone doing a defrag on a newly installed operating system

Reaction score
No need for a defrag after a fresh install what would be the point? None whatsoever, if you check the defrag and analyze what do you see green and blue with not many reds?
you win the bet :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
itsme said:
No need for a defrag after a fresh install what would be the point? None whatsoever, if you check the defrag and analyze what do you see green and blue with not many reds?
you win the bet :nod:
You dont 'see' anything in the vista defrag. ;)

But no after a fresh install dont worry. after you've installed a load of stuff then maybe. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
There isn't a nice graphical view (that I know of), but there is a way that at least provides you with before and after statistics. Run cmd (with elevated privileges) by right-clicking Command Prompt in the start menu and clicking Run as Administrator.​

You can see the options available in the defrag program:​

C:\Windows\system32>defrag /?​
Description: Locates and consolidates fragmented files on local volumes to
improve system performance.

Syntax: defrag -a [-v]​
defrag [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]
defrag -c [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]

Parameters:​

Value Description​

Specifies the drive letter or mount point path of the volume to​
be defragmented or analyzed.

-c Defragments all volumes on this computer.​

-a Performs fragmentation analysis only.​

-r Performs partial defragmentation (default). Attempts to​
consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes (MB).

-w Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all file​
fragments, regardless of their size.

-f Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is low.​

-v Specifies verbose mode. The defragmentation and analysis output​
is more detailed.

-? Displays this help information.​

you don't need to "see" a defragger working. ;)

Attachments

• defrager.JPG
    defrager.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 119

muckshifter

Reaction score
There are a number of changes between Windows Vista's defragmenter and XP's defrag tool.

In general, Vista's defragger is designed for the average user and is turned on for automatic behind-the-scenes work ... by default, the defrag utility is scheduled to run weekly. It defragments all the partitions on all your hard disks automatically. Unlike the Windows XP defragmentation tool however, it will only defragment files with fragments smaller than 64 MB on NTFS file systems.

The lack of any useful user interface in the Vista defrag utility is consistent with MS's design decision of having an automated defragger running behind the scenes without user intervention.

Before you get too upset, let me say that this is a generally useful setting for the average user. Let's face it, if you are reading this, you are not an average user.

Many users I know don't defragment their hard disks. They don't even know the concept, let alone how to get it done or what use it may serve. The default Vista setting is sensible for such users ... a weekly schedule is more than adequate ... too frequent and the constant defragmentation can cause additional wear and tear on the hard disk for very little additional gain. And for most people, not moving file fragments if they are more than 64 MB is a good compromise ... it speeds up the whole defragging process, and the fragments are large enough so that in most cases they don't cause significant slowdowns in the system.

You can, of course, override and force a full defragmentation of the hard disk which may speed up certain hard disk backup operations, the time savings when backing up a properly defragged hard disk compared to one where the files are broken into many fragments may be significant.

Sources from MS Help & Support

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm.

I wouldn't bother de-fragging a fresh install.

There will still be some defragmentation.

In my opinion there would be no advantage gained by degragging at that stage.

This is a silly argument.

Give him a slap and nick his fifty quid.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
This is a silly argument.

Give him a slap and nick his fifty quid.

My thoughts the same....Oh the £50 is in my sky rocket as I write this. He read all the posts and has eaten his words.:p

Reaction score
Sorry Madx i support your friend, but only as i dont believe you have a £50 note!:p

Seriously though i've only do a defrag after loading all software & drivers before handing to the customer.

Reaction score
feckit said:
Sorry Madx i support your friend, but only as i dont believe you have a £50 note!:p

Seriously though i've only do a defrag after loading all software & drivers before handing to the customer.

lol 3 x £10 an 1 x £20... I haven't seen a £50 in years....

Reaction score
Got a £50 note from the bank the other day!
It looked very crisp & new, but sadly not in my grumby paws for long!;)

Reaction score
feckit said:
Got a £50 note from the bank the other day!
It looked very crisp & new, but sadly not in my grumby paws for long!;)

We just don't bother with them in East London, pretty much every shop has a sign saying they won't accept them. To many moody ones in circulation. I have an old green one though. Wonder if I can stillexchnge it..?

Ask a Question